Windows 10: I have an image of a Windows setup - any way to extract the registry?

Discus and support I have an image of a Windows setup - any way to extract the registry? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure what I did with my backup of some registry settings. I do have an image of a previous state where I'm hoping I can extract the registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andy d, Jan 27, 2017.

1. andy d Win User

I have an image of a Windows setup - any way to extract the registry?

I'm not sure what I did with my backup of some registry settings. I do have an image of a previous state where I'm hoping I can extract the registry from there. It looks like I can get part of it via the system32/config folder but I don't see any of the user hives. When I try to access the user folder on the image, I can't because of permissions issues.

Are there any other ways?

:)

andy d, Jan 27, 2017
  2. Nick Dich Win User

Is there any way to change background image of a folder in Windows 10?

Hi Adam,

To further assist you with your concern, we recommend you to visit the link provided on this reply. This article should also be applicable to Windows 10:

How to modify your folder view settings or to customize a folder

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, Jan 27, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Is there any way to change background image of a folder in Windows 10?

If you change the background on a pen drive folder on one computer, it probably will not remain changed when plugged into another PC as the setting will be stored on the original PC . . .

DaveM121, Jan 27, 2017
  4. marsmimar Win User

marsmimar, Jan 28, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @andy d

What exactly are you trying to achieve? To return to an earlier state? Is extracting the registry from the system image the best way to do that?

The conventional way would be to use System Restore, if you have a recent restore point to return to that is. You don't say how this 'image of a previous state' was made. If you used Backup & Restore to make a system image then a restore point is included in that image. If you open System Restore and tick the 'Show more restore points' box it will list the 'system image restore point' and it can be restored like any other restore point.

That may be an alternative if you can't extract the registry hives from your image.

6. andy d Win User
    Thanks guys.

System restore wasn't an option. I wanted to extract my Plex settings after migrating to 2016 server essentials as I deleted the backup by accident. Anyway, I was able to get what I needed by...

1) Mounting the macrium image with settings that unrestricted the user folder
    2) Mounting the hive registry settings in ntuser.dat

I missed #1 when I first mounted the image.

andy d, Jan 28, 2017
  7. marsmimar Win User
    Glad to hear you were able to solve the issue. Thanks for posting back. *Smile

marsmimar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I have an image of a Windows setup - any way to extract the registry? - Similar Threads - image setup extract

2. Is there any way to restore data after reinstalling Windows? I have drive D but I have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to restore data after reinstalling Windows? I have drive D but I have...: Help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restore-data-after/09ff6721-519e-4923-9886-35e9c02abe64
  3. Is there any way to repair an image without use of /cleanup-image?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to repair an image without use of /cleanup-image?: Long, long story short: I guess my computer just flipped out during an update. When I thought it was done and things weren't displaying/working correctly, I restarted it and now it doesn't boot correctly. At first, I could at least get it to unlock by letting it sit through a...
  4. Is there any way to repair an image without use of /cleanup-image?

Is there any way to repair an image without use of /cleanup-image?: Long, long story short: I guess my computer just flipped out during an update. When I thought it was done and things weren't displaying/working correctly, I restarted it and now it doesn't boot correctly. At first, I could at least get it to unlock by letting it sit through a...
  5. Unable to extract any .zip archives

Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  6. Are there any way to have a hotkey for the screensaver?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any way to have a hotkey for the screensaver?: Are there any way to have a hotkey for the screensaver? Like, I want to have it so that when I press Crtl + Alt + O it would trigger the Screensaver. submitted by /u/XTremeGameboy [link] [comments]...
  7. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  8. Is there any way to setup a screensaver that runs over the screen image?

Is there any way to setup a screensaver that runs over the screen image?: I know it was possible in older versions of Windows to run a screensaver like bubbles in front of the screen image, the bubbles float in front of the page that was displayed. This appears to not be possible anymore? I would like to continuously display my planner on my...
  9. Is there any way to copy taskbars in multiscreen setup

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there any way to copy taskbars in multiscreen setup: So what im trying to do is copy my taskbars so i have tray icons and ShowDesktop on all screens but windows only shows clock on non-main screens 140645
  10. Can I extract current lock screen image?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can I extract current lock screen image?: I currently have an image on my lock screen of Windows laptop which I unfortunately lost the original copy of, but a copy keeps showing up as an option for the lock screen. Can I extract this image somewhere in some folder? Perhaps a hidden folder somewhere? The photograph...