Windows 10: I have contracted a Virus that shows many Ads

Discus and support I have contracted a Virus that shows many Ads in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; How to run a FULL scan using Malwarebytes Antimalware - a full scan of drive C and not just a threat scan: Open MBAM. IN the dashboard, verify your... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Writer, Nov 14, 2015.

1. simrick Win User

I have contracted a Virus that shows many Ads

How to run a FULL scan using Malwarebytes Antimalware - a full scan of drive C and not just a threat scan:

Open MBAM. IN the dashboard, verify your database is current, otherwise click on update.

I have contracted a Virus that shows many Ads [​IMG]

Click on Settings tab, and verify as shown below.

In the Scan tab, click on Custom

In the Custom Scan Configuration, select all 4 boxes at the left, make sure PUPs and PUMs and "Treat detections as malware". Select all your drives that have been connected to the computer (internal and external) but not DVDs for scanning, and click Start Scan.

Please upload that log file when finished. You can paste it right in this thread.

I will be gone again now for another 1-2 hours.

simrick, Nov 16, 2015
  2. Writer Win User

I downloaded the "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" software; however, when I click on "Run as Administrator," a window comes up, but nothing happens. A very small tab on the window says "running" in bold with green highlite. At the bottom, there are two tabs: one says "buy now" the other says "activate."

Below "Running," there are two tabs: one says "Stop Protection" the other says "Close."

At the very top, it says: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free

At the top there are six tabs, they read: General - Shields - Logs - Exclusions - Settings - About (General is the Default setting.)

When I click on "Activate," it asks me to "Register License:" it asks for my license ID and a License Key

There is no tab to prompt me to begin the Scan.

Writer, Nov 16, 2015
  3. YOU
    You Win User
    Anti-exploit is not an antivirus. It blocks exploit attacks on internet browsers, plugins, PDF readers, etc.

Exploits are anything that takes advantage of a security problem in a program (vulnerability) to download viruses onto a computer without the intervention of the user.

Are looking for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

4. simrick Win User

Thanks @You.

We want anti-exploit. There is nothing to run....it stays resident in the background to prevent infection. There is just one setting we need to make to get rid of annoying reminders....I am not at a computer now so that will have to wait until I get back.

All is fine. Please proceed to the next step.

simrick, Nov 16, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    I don't think Adobe would sneak anything that bad into Flash, maybe McAfee Security Scan or Google Chrome. There are plenty of fake installers - just search for Firefox on Bing.

If guys can't figure this out (Simrick is already helping , obviously), don't forget about Dr. Web CureIt!

(I'm not sure if this has already been suggested) Try HitmanPro 3, too. It is premium software but there is a 30 day trial that still removes malware.

And last but not least, HerdProtect. (made by Reason Software, who also made the Should I Remove It, Reason Core Security, and Unchecky programs) This program is really interesting. It's a cloud scanner that uploads files and scans them with every antivirus in existence, sorta like Virustotal, Anubis or Jotti. It only performs quick scans, but it should be able to catch what's plaguing .

6. YOU
    You Win User
    Just note that the risk of false positives with HerdProtect is very high (that's a problem if r av uses 68 antivirus engines). Just post a list of the detection details here, or a screenshot.

HerdProtect tries to hide false positives but that could mean that very new viruses which are detected by only 1-2 AVs may not be detected. may want to disable that option.

7. simrick Win User
    Thanks @You. Will keep those in mind if we need them. We still have a few things to accomplish before I could say we're at a standstill. So far, we are progressing as expected.
    @Writer: here is the one setting I would like you to make on the Malwarebytes anti-exploit (MBAE)

Untick the box to tooltips - they get annoying.

Let me know when the SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) scan has completed. I will be available now for about an hour. Thanks.

simrick, Nov 16, 2015
  8. hawkman Win User

Eset does not turn this program off, one of the malware progs has done this.
    It will need to be reset manually.

Roy

hawkman, Nov 16, 2015
  9. Writer Win User
    I ran the Scan for SuperAntiSpyware; here is the Scan log: it is long: the Trojan files are at the very end:
    It requested that I "Reboot" afterward, so I did.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log 11-17-2015 4.35 pm.docx

Concerning the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit: Now I can't find the window with all of the tabs at the top. When I go to downloads and bring it up, it has me go through the installation process again. I'll continue to look for it.

Writer, Nov 17, 2015
  10. simrick Win User
    Thanks, I will have a look at the log.

The MBAE icon is probably hidden. Look in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen - see all the icons? There will be a little "UP" arrow, and if you click that, a lot of other running icons will show - MBAE will be a shield there. Hover over the icon and right-click and select SHOW.

simrick, Nov 17, 2015
  11. Writer Win User
    I found the Icon for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit in the bottom-right corner. I unchecked the "Show system tray notification tooltips."

After the SuperAntiSpyware Scan, It requested a Reboot, so I did one.

Writer, Nov 17, 2015
  12. simrick Win User
    Great!

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qbot: Qbot is a very nasty backdoor trojan that "hooks" into the API system. It's very difficult to get rid of, but SuperAntiSpyware should have done the trick.

Zeus/Zbot: Trojan.Agent/Gen-Zbot
    Trojan.Zbot | Symantec
    @Writer I am not happy to see this. As a result, I will advise that you change all your passwords including email, online shopping, credit card accounts, online banking accounts, online retailers, etc. Start with email and work on from there. Hackers will target email to impersonate you, and begin the identity theft procedures. If your information has been compromised, it will be all over places like Pastebin, for the whole world to see.

I'm really sorry about that. I will help you set up Firefox with a password manager when we are sure you are clean. For now, when changing passwords, DO NOT let your browser store them. Stored passwords in browsers are too easily stolen.

Just write them down in a little notebook for now as you change them.

simrick, Nov 17, 2015
  13. simrick Win User

updating the RECAP list:

So, to recap,
    DONE-Set another restore point,
    DONE-Run ESET from Firefox, save the log file and paste it here, let it delete whatever it finds.
    DONE-Run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (see post #17)Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    This will help protect your browsers against zero-day attacks. DONE-Run SuperAntiSpyware ( see post #49)

(a lot of instructions with pics - I will not paste here.)

Please run one last scan of Malwarebytes Antimalware - but this time you're going to do a full scan of drive C and not just a threat scan (see my instructions in previous post #75)

I will be unavailable now for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Please be patient with me. I will be back later.

simrick, Nov 17, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    One question - when you rebooted last time, did you still receive the bad DLL call error?

simrick, Nov 17, 2015
  15. Writer Win User
    Yes, I still received the exact same error.

I'm running the Malwarebytes Antimalware Scan now, it has been running for 41 minutes so far. It's now 6:09 pm EST. It's now been running for one hour and six minutes; it's 6:33 pm EST.

MWAM has been running for 1 hour & 32 Minutes now: it is 7:00 pm EST. So far, there are 16 detected objects.

I plugged in the Flash Drive that I have been using, and I checked the E Drive on MWAM. Will MWAM also Scan the Flash Drive?

Concerning your recommendation not to use Microsoft Edge: Is it OK to use Internet Explorer as well as FireFox?

That's bad news about the Trojan malware. I'll start changing my passwords as soon as possible.

Question: What is the API System the the Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qbot infects? What does API stand for?

The viruses have been on my computer since Monday, November 9, 2015, at about 2:00 pm; that's nine days total. The viruses made using the infected computer so difficult that I didn't use it very much. I used another computer I have that has Windows 7 Professional on it during several days after Nov. 9. Hopefully, the Trojan viruses did not have much success in collecting information. It's lucky that I heard about Windows Ten Forums, otherwise I would have been in real deep trouble.

It has been very worthwhile to run a variety of Scans; I'm glad that you have made these recommendations.

Writer, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

1. I have contracted a Virus that shows many Ads - Similar Threads - contracted Virus shows

2. I recently contracted the "Unconfirmed 7033017.crdownload virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I recently contracted the "Unconfirmed 7033017.crdownload virus: Well it has degenerated my entire file system duplicated .DLL files all over my desktop and some programs seem to work fine while others don't even have a shortcut on the desktop anymore. I've done some minor research online and have some basic and general idea of what is...
  3. Taskbar Contracts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Contracts: On Windows 10 Home my task bar contracts to left side and the icon for additional function icons system tray? does not work. This has been answered and locked but the answer "Right Click the Task Bar - Properties - Taskbar tab - uncheck Group similar taskbar buttons - APPLY /...
  4. Suport Contract

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Suport Contract: I have a support contract and would like to speak with someone. How can I do that? I have been dealing with "not responding" errors and slow performance for 2 years and I can't stand it anymore!!...
  5. I have had an Assure contract for many years. I believe I was to renew on 7/1/20. I did not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have had an Assure contract for many years. I believe I was to renew on 7/1/20. I did not...: I want a tech. to go into my computer. I usually do this every 6 months. I have a contract # from the last time I needed ehlp. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-had-an-assure-contract-for-many-years-i/b15d3793-b0cc-4166-8595-711405ce2dc6
  6. Paid for no ads and I have ads.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Paid for no ads and I have ads.: I paid $14.99 for a year with no ads. I got a new computer but when I signed in to play the solataire collection the ads were there again. Yes, I am signed in under the same name, email address, and pseudo name. Please contact me or I will just cancel it through my credit...
  7. i have virus?

i have virus?: why in browser now see black screen after 1s i see display on every sites!!! this happen friday for no reason, on all browsers. opera, chrome. mozilla. never seen before until friday when i browser from youtube i see black screen after 1s i see display , not display...
  8. i HAVE VIRUS????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i HAVE VIRUS????: i have PROBLEMS, WINDOWS REINSTALL DID NOT HELP !! why in browser now see black screen after 1s i spen friee display on every sites!!! this hapday for no reason, on all browsers. opera, chrome. mozilla. never seen before until friday when i browser from youtube i see black...
  9. I have a virus

I have a virus: Don't know how to remove a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/i-have-a-virus/f7244fea-c3eb-4e86-8f62-f4d29440ca97
  10. Have I a virus

Have I a virus: Hi all I just just noticed that if I open the link to 10 forums and look through the posts without logging on some of the words in the post is in green and open a video to an advert and there is a x in the top corner but I dare not click on it in case I download a Trojan but...