Windows 10: I have my password set to let me sign in automatically

Discus and support I have my password set to let me sign in automatically in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have my password set to let me sign in automatically using the control userpasswords2 but when the screen turns off ,it asks for my password upon... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bluzeboy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. bluzeboy Win User

I have my password set to let me sign in automatically

I have my password set to let me sign in automatically using the
    control userpasswords2

but when the screen turns off ,it asks for my password upon resume.

:)

bluzeboy, Sep 19, 2016

2. Cursor will not let me type my password to sign-in to Windows

My cursor will not allow me to type in my password to get into my lap top

Moved from Internet Explorer

Original title: Curser problems

JuneCooperTF., Sep 19, 2016
  3. Cursor will not let me type my password to sign-in to Windows

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

this issue may occur if the drivers for the mouse are corrupted.

1) Are you able to use keyboard?

2) Did you check the issue by connecting external mouse to the Laptop?

3) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

As a workaround, I suggest you to connect the external mouse and check.

If you are able to sign in into the PC then try to update the Mouse drivers and check.

• Press Windows and X
      key together and select Device Manager.

• Locate the Mouse icon. using keyboard arrows Right click on the driver icon.

• Select Update driver software.

• Select "browse my computer for a driver software".

• Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

• Select the driver option according your device model and installed.

• If this does not work, follow the steps from ‘a’ to ‘c’ and select “Search automatically for the updated driver”.
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  5. bluzeboy Win User
    i have that setting to never,that is what got me stumped

bluzeboy, Sep 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    We have to distinguish between several different cases.
    1. PC goes to sleep then resumes
    2. Screen goes off, but PC not asleep (this is easy- no lock screen or anything.
    3. Lock screen (as in Windows key + L)
    4. Hibernation + resume

Please try clicking the start button, power, then click sleep.
    Wait for the PC to sleep.
    Wake it- you should see your desktop, no login required.

Now try Windows key + L (lock)
    Then click the screen
    I think you will find you have to log in.

This is confusing and inconsistent.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  7. bluzeboy Win User
    2. Screen goes off, but PC not asleep (this is easy- no lock screen or anything.

this how i have it set

1. PC goes to sleep then resumes
    3. Lock screen (as in Windows key + L)
    4. Hibernation + resume

Please try clicking the start button, power, then click sleep.
    Wait for the PC to sleep.
    Wake it- you should see your desktop, no login required.

Now try Windows key + L (lock)
    Then click the screen
    I think you will find you have to log in.

i tried all the steps you provided
    & no logon was required,but when the moniter shut the screen off upon returning ,log in was required

bluzeboy, Sep 20, 2016
  8. ohante Win User

I'm having a similar problem. I've made a new power plan, and set it to sleep after 3 minutes. I forgot to disable the option that used to be in power options that required entering a password on wake up. But non of my power plans have that option anymore after W10 updated to 1607 the other day. Any idea where I might find that setting now?

I have tested putting the system into sleep with my new power plan, and have confirmed I have to enter a password waling up. And when I set an older power plan where I'd disabled that option, I still don't have to enter a password on wake up. But again, the option requiring passwords is gone from that and all my option existing power plans

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  9. bluzeboy Win User
    an update was what i was thinking also ,some of my personal settings have been changed.

bluzeboy, Sep 20, 2016
  10. ohante Win User
    Well I toggled the setting Brink pointed out in my post on this issue, and it didn't resolve the problem for me. I also changed it and rebooted like I used to have to do back I was having this problem in WinXP. But that didn't help. dalchina pointed you to that same setting too. Maybe it'll work for you if you change it to "When PC wakes up from sleep", reboot, change it back to "Never" and reboot again before you test it waking without password. I'll give that a try now.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, sorry, what I posted wasn't meant to be a fix, merely observations, and pointing out the different cases.

So now I know we're seeing a different result simply after your monitor (my laptop screen in my case) has switched off -as distinct from the PC sleeping or hibernating.

This is what you need to look at I think:

I  have my password set  to let me sign in automatically [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 20, 2016
  12. ohante Win User
    bluzeboy said that, "when the screen turns off ,it asks for my password upon resume." He doesn't want that to happen. The screen saver option pointed out in that link would enable entering a password when coming out of the screensaver. If somehow it got set in his menu, disabling it would fix his problem. But like me, I think he never had to enter any password to boot into Windows, or come out of sleep or a screen saver. He didn't make it clear if he had a screensaver set, or if his power plan was set to turn the display off or sleep after a time set. My problem is the latter, and I've found no solution yet.

EDIT: I had UAC disabled which was suggested might be the problem. I set it back to default, rebooted, and I'm not getting the prompt for a password coming out of sleep now.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

No, you have misconstrued that entirely. I quite understand what bluzeboy wants.

What I have shown is my setting. With the setting like that I get no password when the screen turns on again. Note that the setting has two possibilities- password on and password off. He wants password off, as shown. I'm guessing he has it set the other way.

If your problem relates to sleep, I'd suggest you start a new thread.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2016
  14. ohante Win User
    Yeah... I wasn't clear about what I wrote there. For me the default screensaver setting was not having a password set, as I've never been in there before. So I was guessing the same for bluzeboy. But he hadn't specified whether his screen goes off because he has a screensaver set, or if his power plan is set to turn it off.

Thanks dalchina.. I've resolved my sleep problem that was an app I find I have to shut down.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
  15. ohante Win User
    If you have User Account Control (UAC) disabled, try setting it back to default and then reboot. That stopped the prompt for a password when my screen came back on. Here's the process:

How to Enable UAC in Windows 10 again:

• Open the Control Panel (icons view) and select User Accounts.
    • Click on the Change User Account Control settings link.
    • In the User Account Control settings, move the slider up to the second position from the top (Default).
    If the problem is resolved when you reboot, you can probably turn UAC off again.

ohante, Sep 20, 2016
Thema:

1. I have my password set to let me sign in automatically - Similar Threads - password set let

2. preparing automatic repair, but it doesn't let me sign in saying incorrect password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    preparing automatic repair, but it doesn't let me sign in saying incorrect password.: I just have installed a cracked software but it didn't installed perfectly. so i have tried to uninstall but that didn't let me uninstall. after that i have restarted my laptop. it didn't restarted it has stucked on preparing automatic repair. it wants password of my account...
  3. preparing automatic repair, but it doesn't let me sign in saying incorrect password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    preparing automatic repair, but it doesn't let me sign in saying incorrect password.: I just have installed a cracked software but it didn't installed perfectly. so i have tried to uninstall but that didn't let me uninstall. after that i have restarted my laptop. it didn't restarted it has stucked on preparing automatic repair. it wants password of my account...
  4. preparing automatic repair, but it doesn't let me sign in saying incorrect password.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. not letting me to sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not letting me to sign in: I click on the sign in button and nothing happens please advisebeen having this issue for days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-letting-me-to-sign-in/6cc13d95-1b84-43b1-89e3-cd88457469c5
  6. not letting me to sign in

not letting me to sign in: I click on the sign in button and nothing happens please advisebeen having this issue for days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-letting-me-to-sign-in/6cc13d95-1b84-43b1-89e3-cd88457469c5
  7. My laptop will not let me sign in. It will not accept my Microsoft password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop will not let me sign in. It will not accept my Microsoft password: Hello. My laptop will not let me sign in. I have windows 11. It won't accept my Microsoft password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-not-let-me-sign-in-it-will-not/279e7d98-7095-4cbf-b476-035f284816d7
  8. My laptop will not let me sign in. It will not accept my Microsoft password

My laptop will not let me sign in. It will not accept my Microsoft password: Hello. My laptop will not let me sign in. I have windows 11. It won't accept my Microsoft password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-will-not-let-me-sign-in-it-will-not/279e7d98-7095-4cbf-b476-035f284816d7
  9. Will not let me sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will not let me sign in: Whenever i try to log into minecraft, it says “failed to log in. We could not sign you into your Microsoft Account l. Access to realms,profiles, and your marketplace items will be limited. Please try again later.” This is my 12th try over the last 3 days....
  10. Automatic repair won't let me sign in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair won't let me sign in: The problem first occurred when i was playing a game and then it froze and wouldn't let me close it, so i restarted my computer. When i restarted the computer it booted up like normal and after showed a black screen instead of the login menu. After a while the computer would...