Windows 10: I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist

Discus and support I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the program JRiver Media Center (MC), I was experimenting with saving my TV Recordings/subscriptions directly to the appropriate "seriesName" folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountryBumkin, Nov 25, 2016.

1. I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist

In the program JRiver Media Center (MC), I was experimenting with saving my TV Recordings/subscriptions directly to the appropriate "seriesName" folder using the "Apply these tags (optional)' tool in the TV series' subscription rules.
    Anyways ....

I got the command wrong and MC created a new folder rather than moving my recording to an existing folder. I fixed that mistake.

But now I can't delete the folders MC created.
    I thought it might be a permissions issue (maybe I'm not the owner of the folder since MC created it), but even using the Windows command "takeown /f "path to folder" /R /D Y, I still can't delete the folders. The Windows error message says the folder does not exist. I think maybe the issue is the "space" in the folder name. I tried deleting the folders in an elevated Command Prompt window with remdir and rd. But Windows can't find the folder)s).

Anyways I tried everything I can think of to delete these folders. Perhaos I should just leave them as is since they are doing no harm.

This is a screen shot of the folders, their properties, and security tab. This is Win10-Pro x64. I am the Admininster. The computer is only used for Home Theater PC. Any ideas?

:)

CountryBumkin, Nov 25, 2016

2. 22.6GB Random File that I cannot delete because I am not Admin (THOUGH I AM)

I tried googling it, it doesn't seem exist. but it doesn't want to be deleted, it is 3 files deep in some folder named "SoftwareDistribution". and the next folder inside that is DeliveryOptimization, then inside that is some folder with a lot of numbers
    and letters... called: 7af46ced8018642dd6f92a14659f209491703426.. and that is the file that has this random file that I cannot Delete...

C8338D5AA172EC5A8C0DB400F9FEBC3E536CBDEC86417A9195CB48FAEEE4D779

is the files name. it is 50,476,184kb (about 22.6GB)

I've done everything, even tried taking ownership, tried some outside unlockers and such to try to delete it... tried using the console which just says "Access Denied".

JamesonDawson, Nov 25, 2016
  3. Unable to delete a folder

Hi,

I've a folder that I'm unable to remove since 4 or 5 months : "C:\Users\Adrien\Videos\Resolve\s5t0.". When trying to delete or rename it with Windows explorer, it says me the folder can't be deleted because it doesn't exist anymore. I've try CCleaner (cleaning
    both files and registry), RD command in the prompt and sure, Del key. Every time it says me that the folder doesn't exist, but it's still there.

My be the file is delete from the file system but still here in the index of the drive ?

Please help ! I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist :)

After Design, Nov 25, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist

Try creating a folder with the same exact name in H and then delete it.

Neemobeer, Nov 25, 2016
  5. That was a good idea. But it didn't work. *Confused
    I was able to create a new folder with the same name. Then both folders displayed in Windows Explorer. I was able to delete the new folder but not the old one. I tried this with several of the folders - same results.
    Thanks for the idea.

CountryBumkin, Nov 25, 2016
  6. See if this will remove it.
    1 Left click on File/folder.
    2 Right click on File/folder.
    3 Left click on PROPERTIES
    4 Left click onDETAILS tab.
    5 At the bottom of the window,Left click on "Remove properties and personal information"
    6 In the new window,Left click on SECOND radio button"Remove the following properties from the file"
    7 In the same window,Left click SELECT ALL.
    8 In the same window,Left click OK.
    9 In DETAILS tab window,Left click OK.
    Should now,hopefully,be in the Recycle bin

joeandmarg0, Nov 26, 2016
  7. Solved!

These are the steps:
    Start CMD.exe, using the right click "Run as Administrator" method.
    CD /D to the parent directory => In my case 'CD /D "H:"'.
    DIR/X for 8.3 file name => Which shows the 8.3 version of the directory name, such as "TV-SHO~3"
    RMDIR 8.3 "filename or folderName" => So "RMDIR TV-SHO~3" removes the directory!

CountryBumkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist

1. I have some folders that I can't delete. OS says folder doesn't exist - Similar Threads - folders can't delete

2. How do I delete a folder that windows says does not exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a folder that windows says does not exist?: Windows will not allow this folder to be deleted because it does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-folder-that-windows-says-does/d0c9cd2c-779e-4c7f-8ffd-29fcbb3725cc
  3. How do I delete a folder that windows says does not exist?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete a folder that windows says does not exist?: Windows will not allow this folder to be deleted because it does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-folder-that-windows-says-does/d0c9cd2c-779e-4c7f-8ffd-29fcbb3725cc
  4. I Can't Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't Delete a Folder: I have a folder I created but I can't delete. When I try to delete the folder I get an error telling me I need permission from myself to delete it. I tried to change the ownership of the folder to everyone, but that gives me an error that says, "Failed to enumerate objects....
  5. I Can't Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't Delete a Folder: I have a folder I created but I can't delete. When I try to delete the folder I get an error telling me I need permission from myself to delete it. I tried to change the ownership of the folder to everyone, but that gives me an error that says, "Failed to enumerate objects....
  6. There is a folder that I can't delete.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    There is a folder that I can't delete.: I have 2 drivesC and D and most apps download to C drive. But windows has this feature where it can move the apps to D drive, which I did. But soon after that I had to reset my system which reset everything except for the D driveWhich has 2 windows apps folders. If I try to...
  7. Deleting a folder that Windows says does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting a folder that Windows says does not exist: Does anyone know how to delete a folder that Windows 10 salys does not exist but I can see in file explorer. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-a-folder-that-windows-says-does-not-exist/c9b86f7a-8f7b-4381-a25a-17a1d5563a35
  8. I can't delete a folder because it doesnt exist?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete a folder because it doesnt exist?: I have an empty folder in my music folder and I can't delete it. Every time I try it it says "element not found". I've tried unlocker, CMD and Bitdefender "file destroyer" option, nothing seems to work. I really want to get rid of this folder but it seems undeletable. What...
  9. I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't delete Windows.old folder - a subfolder doesn't exist: After the second wave of October Update, I can't delete the Windows.old because a sub-sub-sub-sub folder (hereinafter the X-folder). The X-folder I can't rename it, delete it or force delete through powershell (with admin right ofc). [img] PS: I rename the Windows.old...
  10. Folder that I can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder that I can't delete: I have a folder in win 10 that I can't delete! When I try to delete it is says "You do not have access to this folder" There is an explanation on what to do to gain access to it but it is meaningless to me! Can someone give me clear & concise procedure on how to delete...