Windows 10: i just updated my mobo and it is asking me to activate windows again

Discus and support i just updated my mobo and it is asking me to activate windows again in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is a pain in the ass, after updating windows and the motherboard it says have to activate windows again.... is there anyway i can fix this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mikeburdge, Oct 14, 2016.

1. i just updated my mobo and it is asking me to activate windows again

This is a pain in the ass, after updating windows and the motherboard it says have to activate windows again.... is there anyway i can fix this? because there is no way im spending £100 on a new version when i should still have a working version! I have looked this up (im not a complete idiot) and where it should ask me to sign in it just has this (look at picture)

:)

Mikeburdge, Oct 14, 2016

2. My Windows 10 is asking me to activate it but it says my product key is invalid

Sorry, I am just a volunteer who has no connection to Microsoft.

I would suggest you to contact the seller and ask for a replacement.

You can ask Microsoft support to help you:

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 14, 2016
  3. My Windows 10 is asking me to activate it but it says my product key is invalid

Type Powershell in Windows Start Search box

Click Powershell (admin)

Copy the following command and paste into Powershell and Enter

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

This will show your product key. Copy it.

Windows+X > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

E for Excel, Oct 14, 2016
  4. kimkl Win User

i just updated my mobo and it is asking me to activate windows again

If you only changed mobo its should be fine sometimes according to MS it can take a couple of days before you get activated but i never had that problem i switched mobo without an issue

kimkl, Oct 14, 2016
  5. kimkl Win User
    easy way to sign in if its giving you trouble right click on Desktop choose personalize when you get to that screen it should say you have to validate your account click it and your at the account page click validate or login using ms ac

kimkl, Oct 14, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Try the troubleshoot link. It will ask you if you've made major hardware changes recently. When you reply in the affirmative it will usually go ahead and activate thereafter. No long waiting period required. Try it, please! If you hit a snag, or this doesn't make sense, here's a Activation Troubleshooter - Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums tutorial.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  7. kimkl Win User
    Gabriel Aul, Vice President of Engineering for the Windows & Devices group at Microsoft, users who are facing this problem can simply contact support from within Windows 10 and they will activate your "New" Hardware lets hope its faster then with Windows 7

kimkl, Oct 14, 2016
  8. kimkl Win User

Hmm Reading different things from the MS official site
    "If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation."

I have switched all of my hardware except my Ram had no issues at all once i logged into my ms acc it activates without problems

kimkl, Oct 14, 2016
  9. thanks for all of your suggestions, the first tie i troubleshooted it said something went wrong and please try again later so after restarting my pc and resigning in i managed to re activate my windows so another thanks again to everyone who replied

Mikeburdge, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. i just updated my mobo and it is asking me to activate windows again - Similar Threads - updated mobo asking

2. Windows 10 randomly asking me to activate it again.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 randomly asking me to activate it again.: So I've had this Windows 10 computer since the beginning of the year and I've had it activated since I first built my computer. But for some reason, it started showing me the Activate Windows watermark on it. I first thought maybe it was because I haven't enabled auto-updates...
  3. Windows 10 randomly asking me to activate it again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 randomly asking me to activate it again.: So I've had this Windows 10 computer since the beginning of the year and I've had it activated since I first built my computer. But for some reason, it started showing me the Activate Windows watermark on it. I first thought maybe it was because I haven't enabled auto-updates...
  4. Windows 10 randomly asking me to activate it again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I just installed an update earlier today and now it’s asking me to update it again, is this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just installed an update earlier today and now it’s asking me to update it again, is this...: I’ve been putting off updating my PC for a little while on account of me being busy and impatient but I finally got around to installing the update today. Now I check again to realize that it’s showing me yet another yellow notification saying that it needs to update, is this...
  6. My laptop asks me to activate windows

My laptop asks me to activate windows: Hey i had this laptop for about a year now then it says i need to activate my windows but it is pre installed and i don't know where my product key is....
  7. Windows is asking me to activate?

Windows is asking me to activate?: Hello, yesterday I got a brand new motherboard, cpu, and decided to start all over so Windows could be on an SSD. I already had the usb boot for it so once it was good to go I downloaded Windows and it didn't show anything for a day so I thought it was good. But I woke up...
  8. windows 10 asks for activation again and again every day

windows 10 asks for activation again and again every day: Hi After 6 months without any problem, my windows 10 pro asks every day for activation. I activate but next day demands reactivate and every day the same. I purchased from a retailer. What is about? Thank you...
  9. Windows asking me to activate

Windows asking me to activate: Soo kind of a long story. I had windows 10 installed on my hard drive that was upgraded from the windows 7 that was originally installed on the hard drive from my years ago. I recently decided to get a new motherboard and with the old motherboard i put together a second pc...
  10. i changed mobo w10 asking to activate

i changed mobo w10 asking to activate: i changed mobo w10 asking to activate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-mobo-w10-asking-to-activate/684df42e-d54a-4649-b5ea-8942f3ebee56"