Windows 10: I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879

Discus and support I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Updated to build 9879 with no problems from build 9860. However, I powered down and restarted the next morning to find "Disk Boot Failure - Insert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ribo, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ribo Win User

I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879

Updated to build 9879 with no problems from build 9860. However, I powered down and restarted the next morning to find "Disk Boot Failure - Insert system disk". Whatever I tried to see inside the disk failed because it wasn't recognised in the BIOS, so that disk is a goner. Also I found that my second disk for data was lost, so that's a second disk down the tubes. I transfered both to a chipset 1155 PC and recognised both. Return on my Dell Optiplex 780 (chipset 775) not recognised both. Even connecting external as USB failed. Anyone else had similar problems?

:)

2. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Successfully updated from 9860 to 9879 on 12/01/14. Don't know why it worked this time, since Win10 has not been booted since the failure on 11/25/14.

BTW, after the failure, it automatically reverted back to 9860.

Rocket_Scientist, Nov 15, 2014
  3. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Good to see the Build Number on the download page. That, in itself, is an improvement.

Now to see if 9879 will install over updated 9860. It failed on 11/25/14.

Rocket_Scientist, Nov 15, 2014
  4. swarfega Win User

This won't help you directly with your issue but I always unplug all but the OS drive while installing Windows as it can often install parts of itself on other drives complicating the issue should you wish to replace one of those drives in the future.

I'm sure someone here will be able to help with your problem.

swarfega, Nov 15, 2014
  5. ribo Win User
    Me too unplug other OS HDD's when installing new. But the second drive was for data only. Sorry for my bad English.

In TechNet Forum there is another post with similar problem

Thanks

6. swarfega Win User
    Did they suggest a fix?

swarfega, Nov 15, 2014
  7. ribo Win User
    Finally I got a solution

The drive one with OS and the second one with data found in the bios of an Intel 1155 chipset PC. On my old Dell Optiplex 780 (chipset 775) I used for evaluating build 9860 after updating (fail) to 9879 they do not appeared at all.

Both were in "Frozen state" allthough there were HDD's and not ssd.

Following this guide
    How to: Secure Erase your Solid State Drive (SSD) with Parted Magic

I examined them in the old PC and bios recognised them. Everything OK.

What happened during update in place from 9860 to 9879 to cause such problem?

8. I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879

Windows 10T, like it's predecessor Windows 8, is designed to close & reopen faster by booting - Hybrid Boot.

It has left your system in a hibernated state, with the drives mounted, open and ready to take off as soon as Windows 8/10 restarts. When a drive is mounted, a little piece of data is written to a standard place on the disk to show it is in use - it is called the "dirty bit".

Now this may be completely unrelated to your problem, but because I'm still using Windows 7 whist evaluating Windows 10T, I've changed things so that Windows 7 doesn't go through a complete chkdsk on every disk on my system.

For those who are interested:

1. Control Panel -> Power Plan
    2. Select "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side.
    3. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
    4. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" under shutdown settings.

WightWalker, Nov 16, 2014
  9. morrig Win User
    Thought it was my bad luck but read people having the same problem, my story as follows. Started with first build released 9841 on my 5 year old 1 terabyte Samsung HD then updated to 9860 all with no problems then noticed it was stating drive errors so did repair as Windows wanted and it rebooted but no repair done.Then along came 8979 after over 40 minutes back to desktop all OK rebooted and found drive had failed not visiblele in my ssd Windows 8 but visible in Linux boot disk and managed to recover pics and with partition tool the drive as well.Then being a glutton for punishment downloaded a Pro build 8979 and installed on a ssd but after a few seconds on desktop it powered down as if I hit the shutdown button no bsod tried,tried again exactly the same.Put Windows 7 back on this drive with no problems,all the years from Xp on installed loads of beta's but never problems like this ,weird or just one of those things?

morrig, Nov 20, 2014
  10. BillyBob Win User
    This is not real, I bought a new 128gb SSD for the Preview when it came out, everything seemed okay except for a couple of minor glitches. Upgraded to 8979 had a few problems with that and also boot problems and BSODs, so I put Wiindows 8.1 on it as well for a dual boot to see if it would work okay on the drive, it did for a couple of days.

Two days ago I tried to boot up nothing, tried a few times nothing, checked the BIOS, no drive. I've got an exact same drive with Windows 8.1, so I put that in, booted up straight away.

I put the SSD in a USB caddy and I can read it. So I put it back in the other computer to see if it would boot, nothing, and nothing in the BIOS.

Is 8979 a HDD killer, it certainly seems like it, I've never had these problems with a brand new drive before. I'll keep the drive around for another couple of days to see if it will come back from the dead, but it doesn't look good at this stage.

Ive got another computer with 9841 on it, so I'll send Microsoft a message to see what's going on, this is definitely a bit weird.

Now it's getting crazier, after writing the above it prompted me to try again. So I booted up and it actually booted and I could see it in the BIOS, but all of a sudden the dreaded BSOD and reboot into an automatic repair, then reboot, straight back into another BSOD.

BillyBob, Nov 20, 2014
  11. BillyBob Win User
    Looks like I might have to wipe both partitions and forget the Preview until the next major update

BillyBob, Nov 20, 2014
  12. Parted Magic caused problems in Win7. I wonder if it could have caused you problems in TP.

I would run the maker's drive diagnostics, under their supervision if still within a year of purchase so you are already in the pipeline for RMA.

gregrocker, Nov 22, 2014
  13. wards242 Win User

Same problem here
    dual booted my old HP DV2000 laptop with Windows 7 to test Windows 10 on older hardware.
    First Windows 10 build fine. So was the 2nd. Tried to upgrade to 9879 which went fine until I ran down the laptop and rebooted - nothing , no disc in the bios. Took out the Hitachi disc and connected to my other PC but it would not even spin up so after 6 years I thought it was bricked so into the bin it went in pieces after removing the platter inside.
    This was last week before I read of these other problems so put in a new Western Digital disc and restored the laptop from backups. Now have build 9860 running fine. Do I risk the upgrade to 9879 again with my new disc?
    Sounds like there may have been nothing actually wrong with the old Hitachi disk!

wards242, Nov 23, 2014
  14. BillyBob Win User
    I think you were a bit hasty throwing out the Hitachi, HDDs have a habit of coming back from the dead, I've had them come back after a couple of years.
    If I were you I wouldn't chance 9879 again, I had similar problems to you, couldn't read my new drive in the BIOS and had all kinds of problems with 9879.
    In future if you have a drive that wont read in the BIOS stick it in a USB caddy on another computer, or even the same one if you have another boot HDD, if it doesn't read at first, turn the power to the caddy on and off a few times, also plug and unplug the USB cord and try different ports.

I've bought a few drives back from the dead that way, sometimes even just try again in a few days, it's amazing how these bricks can come back.

BillyBob, Nov 24, 2014
  15. The exact condition of the drive (if it can spin) is determined with certainty by booting the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums run from the run from the booted installer's Command Line.

gregrocker, Nov 24, 2014
Thema:

1. I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879 - Similar Threads - lost Hard Disks

2. Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work: Hi there After applying the latest set of updates to my Windows build 9879 running on VMWARE workstation 10 the Taskbar no longer functions - the taskbar appears but clicking any item results in NOTHING. Desktop Icons work so programs can run -- you just can't launch...
  3. Build 9879 after updates -- USB driverpartially broken

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Build 9879 after updates -- USB driverpartially broken: Hi there. After applying the latest updates to build 9879 GUEST on VMware workstation (11) the USB driver seems to have gone bonkers. I uninstalled and re-installed VMware tools -- but no change. The VM won't recognize any USB devices not connected to it after boot time...
  4. Activate Build 9879

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Build 9879: A week or so ago I installed Build 9879 of W 10 TP and have tried every day to activate it through PC Settings. I keep getting a message saying, "Windows can't activate. Try again later." Should I be concerned? What can I do to activate it? Thank you. 3376
  5. KB2600211 Update 4.0.3 for .Net4 ----- Build 9860

KB2600211 Update 4.0.3 for .Net4 ----- Build 9860: Trying to run a financial trading application, "Fidelity Active Trader Pro" which was running without problem on build 9841. On build 9860 when starting ATP I immediately get a dialog box requiring an upgrade, KB2600211 (update 4.0.3), be made to .Net 4. I downloaded the...
  6. Can't update windows build from 9860

Can't update windows build from 9860: every time i updated the OS its always comes with error that the connection down. please help 3715
  7. OneDrive in build 9879

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive in build 9879: This is a mess imo! Before you had the OneDrive app and you had a OneDrive folder that you saw in File Explorer. Now only the OneDrive folder is there and it only shows those files/folders that are available online and offline. While that is fine as far as it goes, if you...
  8. OneDrive crippled in Build 9879

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive crippled in Build 9879: I root my User folders in the OneDrive folder which has worked fine for several years. After a day of running 9879 I restart to a warning the OneDrive cannot find the Desktop. I try to open OneDrive App and get this error: "Your System Administrator has blocked the User of...
  9. Build 9879 trashing hard drives!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 9879 trashing hard drives!: I'm starting this thread because of the large number of HDDs I have lost since updating to Build 9879. The drives I have lost are all Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives, 2 were VERY new (less than 2 Weeks old) and one was only about 2 Months old. The new ones got exchanged at...
  10. Build 9860 ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 9860 ISO: My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was wondering whether the ISO...