Windows 10: I lost my Desktop functionality, can I recover it?

Discus and support I lost my Desktop functionality, can I recover it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had some files on my Softmaker office program that I wanted to put copies of on my desktop for easy access while I was working on a project. Instead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by logman, Jun 20, 2016.

1. logman Win User

I lost my Desktop functionality, can I recover it?

I had some files on my Softmaker office program that I wanted to put copies of on my desktop for easy access while I was working on a project. Instead of those few (a dozen or so) it pet all of them on and it seems it also put all the program files on also. I wound ip with over 400 files in the the desktop program although the actual desktop screen did not change.Itried several ways to undo it like deleting them to recycle but that did not work. I tried to do a System Restore but that would not work because one file (Bitdefender) would not allow it, evidently. I went to System Restore and tried to reconfigure but lost all restore points. Now many of Apps on the Start screen won't work, And if I access one the Start screen won't open again until I restart the computer. Internet Explorer and other programs wont work right if at all. can anyone Help.

:)

logman, Jun 20, 2016
  2. John582n Win User

how can I recover my lost data

How did you upgrade?

Are you using the same user account?

Is there a Windows.old folder present? if so your documents may be there. The folder is hidden - to view it:

Click Start, type: hidden

Click "Show hidden files and folders"

Select "Show hidden files and folders"

Click OK

Locate the folder windows.old on your c drive

See if your documents are there

John582n, Jun 20, 2016
  3. how can I recover my lost data

hey,

A windows.old folder is made in the drive where you windows is installed usually C, that contains previous operating system

If you upgraded recently, all your files under your username would be present in:

C:/Windows.old/users/<Your username>

Under this you would have folders named documents, downloads etc. you would find your files there.

Remember to backup data before the upgrade.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
  5. logman Win User
    I am a little reluctant to open a new microsoft account. If I don't get any other suggestions I will try the new account option.I do appreciate the help and I'll let you know the outcome. I still can not access the internet with IE, my centurylink home page comes up but once it is up it just stays there until I either end it in Task Manager or restart the computer. The same sort of thing with the Start Screen, It wont even open when I click the window. If I set the Start Screen for full screen I can see all the Apps but they won't work. I am assuming something I did moved functions out of these programs and now they can't work right. So far I can still access the Internet with Chrome and some programs seem to work. Ironically Textmaker (part of Softmaker Office) still seems to work fine, that's where my trouble started. Thanks again......

logman, Jun 20, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you see the part I bolded in my reply? The word LOCAL.

NavyLCDR, Jun 21, 2016
  7. logman Win User
    No, I did not notice the LOCAL account emphasis. I am in the middle of an important legal project so I am not going to make changes until I am done with the project. I really do appreciate your input and I will try that when I am able to.
    Something I have noticed is that a lot of files seem to be in the wrong or inappropriate folders. Is there any easy way to correct that ?

logman, Jun 21, 2016
  8. logman Win User

NavyLCDR, Guru,
    I finished the days work and wondered if Bitdefender (one click optimizer) would help. I figured it could not hurt so I tried it. It seems to have worked Bitdefender removed, cleaned or relocated over 56,000 files. A lot of the files were redundant. Many of the files were Internet Explorer and Edge. It looks like They were caught in a loop that just kept running and would not let anything else run.
    I just want to say thanks again , just knowing I had a final option let me try other things first.........

logman, Jun 22, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I lost my Desktop functionality, can I recover it? - Similar Threads - lost Desktop functionality

2. Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...: The problem started when my laptop went to BSOD due to driver errors. Did "chkdsk /f /r c:" and it got stucked with no progress at stage 4 for 5 hours and I badly need to use my laptop because of a due work. I entered Ctrl + C and chckdsk was cancelled. Booted back to normalC...
  3. Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...: The problem started when my laptop went to BSOD due to driver errors. Did "chkdsk /f /r c:" and it got stucked with no progress at stage 4 for 5 hours and I badly need to use my laptop because of a due work. I entered Ctrl + C and chckdsk was cancelled. Booted back to normalC...
  4. I lost my media function keys.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I lost my media function keys.: one day I installed ModernFlyouts it works fine then the media function keys (Media Track Previous, Media Track Next, Media Play / Pause, Media Stop) all stopped working I don't know why. I uninstall ModernFlyouts to check if it's going to work again or not, and it did not...
  5. I lost my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my desktop: I have lost my desktop. I was trying to fix a red x in front of my administrator icon which was not allowing me to access or do things on my computer, as i was searching for a fix I came across a fix see attached, it seemed helpful being many people seemed to help them. I...
  6. I lost my desktop

I lost my desktop: I have lost my desktop. I was trying to fix a red x in front of my administrator icon which was not allowing me to access or do things on my computer, as i was searching for a fix I came across a fix see attached, it seemed helpful being many people seemed to help them. I...
  7. I lost micrsoft stpre from my system, how can i recover it ?????

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I lost micrsoft stpre from my system, how can i recover it ?????: I lost micrsoft stpre from my system, how can i recover it ????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-micrsoft-stpre-from-my-system-how-can-i/68900c2a-1951-4d9e-a198-1affad24e9ef
  8. can i recover my lost data

can i recover my lost data: My external HDD is not working can i get the free software to recover this data
  9. I lost my Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost my Desktop: I lost my Desktop after making changes in The Task Manager. My Laptop is booting up very slow and Firefox was starting very slow without anything to even show me that it was working. I changed things from startup to startup Delayed also somethings were disabled and were...
  10. How can i recover lost partition and data in it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can i recover lost partition and data in it: I was running win 7 with 4 partitions , thought to upgrade to win 10. While installing it didn't allowed me to install. I thought i can run diskpart clean on one partition, selected one volume and ran clean command, but it still cleaned all the partitions. Long story short, I...