Windows 10: I messed up and installed a virus

Discus and support I messed up and installed a virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Installed a program (It was a trainer for game) and it instead was a virus/malware/adware. I uninstalled and ran malware + windows defender. Then I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LVTHER, Mar 25, 2018.

1. LVTHER Win User

I messed up and installed a virus

Installed a program (It was a trainer for game) and it instead was a virus/malware/adware.

I uninstalled and ran malware + windows defender. Then I ran revo uninstaller found more of it and delete that. Ran CCleaner then Malware + Win Defender in offline.

After all this, Chrome randomly opens tabs to sites with a lot of adverts (I have uBlock so all I see is the warning page, but sometimes one will make it through ) every couple minutes.

What else can I do before considering reinstalling the OS?

:)

LVTHER, Mar 25, 2018
  2. GreginMich, Mar 25, 2018
  3. LoriRos Win User
    Virus and Hackers messed up my laptop!!!

I
    I messed up and installed a virus [​IMG]
    I
    went on my computer yesterday to find this. At first there was a message saying that my computer was blocked but I knew that was a scam. I turned it off and turned it back on to find this screen as in the picture. Is my computer completely lost or is there
    still something I can do? Btw: No one has emailed me a product key.

LoriRos, Mar 25, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

mrgeek, Mar 25, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
  6. LVTHER Win User
    Ill get to it thanks.

On the subject of PUPs though, I've had some of them that just wont go away. Ill run malwarebytes with chrome open, it will 'remove' them and close chrome. But when I open chrome again they're back!

Image of PUPs

LVTHER, Mar 25, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    For all of the AV scans post images of the results into the thread.

Also in the left lower corner click on the Microsoft Windows icon then power.
    At the same time hold down the shift key and click restart.

In the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu click on system restore and report into the thread whether you do or do not have a restore points that predate the installation of the malware.

zbook, Mar 25, 2018
  8. LVTHER Win User

I have a couple from the 3/22

I made the install on saturday

LVTHER, Mar 25, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    Sometimes malware can interfere with Windows recovery.
    Other times valid system restore points may not work.
    That may be the most effective and efficient way to fix the malware.
    If there was malware on the computer that was not detected before the 3/22 date then you would still need to run all of the malware scans.

zbook, Mar 25, 2018
  10. torre Win User
    torre, Mar 25, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The 5 that I prefer to use are:
    1) Malwarebytes
    2) ESET
    3) Superantispyware
    4) Kaspersky
    5) AdwCleaner

zbook, Mar 25, 2018
  12. mrgeek Win User
    "Also in the left lower corner click on the Microsoft Windows icon then power.
    At the same time hold down the shift key and click restart. In the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu..."

This advice is good but you don't know when the stubborn registry and startup tasks items were installed so it's rare that System Restore helps.
    I would take the step of first putting all the scan tools on a flash drive. Unplug your internet cable or turn off wireless so there's no chance a virus can 'phone home'.

Follow zbook's direction to restart into Advanced Startup Options, select: Troubleshoot\Advanced options\Startup settings\F5=Safe mode (you need to use an admin PASSWORD, NOT PIN to use/exit Safe Mode). Plug in the flash drive and run your scans and removals in Safe Mode where the adware/malware/PUPs don't load at startup. When done applying tools, reconnect internet, restart and hopefully you're good to go. Good Luck

mrgeek, Mar 25, 2018
  13. LVTHER Win User

It's been about two hours now since I've ran the programs and no pop-ups.

Two things I found interesting: the amount of tracking cookies from each site. As I said I ran ccleaner, yet programs were still finding more! also each program kept finding something.
    Speaking of USB's I used to have one that had a set of programs that had different programs to help when this happened. lost that and have not remade another yet, mainly because I forgot the website that complied all the programs and imaged the to the USB.
    I'll download the ones zbook listed, put them on a USB and follow your instructions next time.(unplug ethernet)

Thanks

and use what? on my phone ive stopped, switched to safari and firefox focus.

LVTHER, Mar 26, 2018
  14. torre Win User
    Don't actually understand your statement. We are talking pc, not phone ?

Personal view only, but when a third party browser is compromised I prefer to uninstall (or at least reset) the browser and reinstall the browser.

torre, Mar 26, 2018
  15. LVTHER Win User
    Understood, I thought you meant I should stop using for another reason.

Ill uninstall it, and do a clean install.

LVTHER, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I messed up and installed a virus - Similar Threads - messed installed virus

2. 'My tamper protection is messed up, think I have a virus ngl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'My tamper protection is messed up, think I have a virus ngl: Here inserted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-tamper-protection-is-messed-up-think-i-have-a/34544295-c05a-41ba-99bb-d5552697be42
  3. Virus messed up windows (and I owe a client their files really soon)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virus messed up windows (and I owe a client their files really soon): A client project is due really soon so I appreciate any help! I accidentally installed a virus and then probably deleted it with Malwarebytes. After restarting my PC some programs couldn't open and "ended up finding that the virus might have fucked around with some of my...
  4. I messed up

I messed up: Our new laptop wouldn’t switch out of s mode so I used a code online to activate it (enterprise). Now MS Office won’t work because I’m not activated and I don’t have a code for windows 10 home. Can someone please help! submitted by /u/ItsLightning17 [link] [comments]...
  5. I messed up

I messed up: So I got a windows update and it said I had no audio output device installed. So I followed some tips and tried to update realtek but I may or may not have accidentaly uninstalled it instead. Now I don't know how reinstall the Realtek driver plus I need to update the audio...
  6. I messed up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I messed up: I was having problems playing games on Facebook. It was the second time this happened to me and was not able to fix the problem this time so I decided to restore my computer to an earlier date when it was working... Boy that was a no no...was my first time using the restore...
  7. th2 installation is so messed up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    th2 installation is so messed up: So I had a good installation, no problems, sfc was fine. Then I get the update for th2 via windows update. It downloads fine., but gets an error after the download saying to try later. So I restore from a backup and use the media creator to update windows keeping files. That...
  8. I messed up

I messed up: Hi. Does anyone know how to fix this terrible mess I got myself into? On disk0 the partitions are out of order. What can I do to fix it? [img] . Any help will be appreciated. 96616
  9. Installation Config. Messed up.

Installation Config. Messed up.: Coming up to four times, first time update installed from win 8.1 Pro 64 to Win ten V15 everything went good - opened a wrong email possible virus saw wrong so tried (may be the start of the prob. just do not know) 2nd reinstall to beat the vir/Malwarre from there been having...
  10. I really messed up

in Windows 10 Support
    I really messed up: Sorry that this is long and not that well worded I really messed up. So from the beginning. I bought a pc from one of my friends on Friday. (Specs: cpu: Intel i7 4790, gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 970, motherboard: gigabyte z97 hd3, and Windows 10 home, originally...