Windows 10: I mute Line-in, but it unmutes itself after time

Discus and support I mute Line-in, but it unmutes itself after time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a video capture device and use line in for audio. When I do not use the device, I like to have line-in muted. In windows 7 this worked. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tannim, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tannim Win User

I mute Line-in, but it unmutes itself after time

I have a video capture device and use line in for audio. When I do not use the device, I like to have line-in muted.

In windows 7 this worked. In windows 10, it doesn't, because mute doesn't last. I can mute Line-in for a while but it always unmutes itself eventually. It seems especially to happen if i am away from the computer. Sleep/hibernate is disabled and the system does not log off or lock.

Is there any way to prevent it from unmuting itself?

Update:
    Additional testing has found that turning my monitor off and then turning back on instantly unmutes line in.

I have my speakers plugged into the monitor, which is plugged in through Display Port.

If I leave Volume Mixer open and then turn it off, then back on, the mixer goes blank and only shows the Realtek Mixer. I have to close volume mixer and open it again for it to show anything else and to be able to mute Line-In again.

:)

tannim, Jun 9, 2016

2. How to set "quiet hours"?

Would you be interested in a way to mute your computer and then unmute it at the same time every day?

I've looked around for a utility that would do that. There isn't anything out of the box, but a combination of NirCmd (which has a command line interface to mute and unmute your computer) with Windows Task Scheduler could accomplish this.

RJ Pisscat, Jun 9, 2016
  3. How to successfully unmute built-in microphone

Each time I try to unmute the microphone, it mutes itself. Had several tries and all failed. I'm using Windows 10.

CharleyJohnson1, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

I mute Line-in, but it unmutes itself after time

1. I mute Line-in, but it unmutes itself after time - Similar Threads - mute Line unmutes

2. laptop mutes itself wont unmute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop mutes itself wont unmute: I have a new HP Pavillion 15 laptop with windows 11 home that whenever a new update becomes available every few days apparently! the laptop will mute itself and not unmute either by the little tab at the bottom right of the screen or in settings. the only way to unmute the...
  3. laptop mutes itself wont unmute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop mutes itself wont unmute: I have a new HP Pavillion 15 laptop with windows 11 home that whenever a new update becomes available every few days apparently! the laptop will mute itself and not unmute either by the little tab at the bottom right of the screen or in settings. the only way to unmute the...
  4. Sound muting and unmuting automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound muting and unmuting automatically: My new PC keeps muting the sound and unmuting it automatically. I have searched forums and websites, but none have the answer. How do I stop this from happening?...
  5. Sound muting and unmuting automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound muting and unmuting automatically: My new PC keeps muting the sound and unmuting it automatically. I have searched forums and websites, but none have the answer. How do I stop this from happening?...
  6. My headphone audio is still muted after I accidentally muted it and I unmute it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My headphone audio is still muted after I accidentally muted it and I unmute it: When I was chatting with my friends , I accidentally muted my headphone audio . But after I unmute it I still didn't hear any sound .Can anyone help me please ? I tried those solution I found online but still doesn't work ....
  7. Audio Mute Unmute Cycle

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audio Mute Unmute Cycle: Since I update windows yesterday my audio button started to remain a mute, unmute cycle.It occurs after about every ten minutes and mute , unmute itself by the rate of ten times per second...
  8. speaker ramdomly mute and unmute

speaker ramdomly mute and unmute: what causes the hp laptop speakers to mute and unmute itself, windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-ramdomly-mute-and-unmute/11a22f8f-2279-4ae2-bb4e-40a19e8e52a8
  9. Mute/Unmute bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mute/Unmute bug: Whenever I unmute the volume on my laptop, it always shows the volume to be at 16. But when I turn the volume up or down it changes back to displaying the correct volume level. For example, if my volume is at 6 I would mute the volume. Then when I unmute, the volume will show...
  10. Headset not working after mute/unmute

Headset not working after mute/unmute: If you have the headset plugged in and mute it, it won't work after you unmute regardless if you unplugged and re-plug in the headset. No issue with the speaker if you unplugged the headset. You may have to adjust the volume to zero and up the volume again for it to work...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. My computer keeps unmuting itself muting