Windows 10: I need help with some internet connectivity.

Discus and support I need help with some internet connectivity. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop using XP (that is what I am on) and a desktop using Win. 10 both hard wired to the same router. Laptop does everything it is supposed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nodnella Win User

I need help with some internet connectivity.

I have a laptop using XP (that is what I am on) and a desktop using Win. 10 both hard wired to the same router. Laptop does everything it is supposed to on internet, desktop will only connect to a few things including ebay, general movie theater, but will not connect to my email ISP, this site, and many others. Help, please.

I am not well versed in computeresse, how do I get to command prompt?

Is this where I answer responses or is there a better place or way to answer; I am so new I do not know what works where.

:)

Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017

2. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

1. Go back to Windows 7 or go back to the previous build?

2. Did you purchase the refurbished computer on 10 January, first use it on 10 January, or did the refurbisher (I assume) "install" Win10 on 10 January?

3a. Where did you purchased the refurbished computer?

3b. Do you know who refurbished it?

4. What Windows 10 Version & OS Build is currently installed?

Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
    key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments:

• IMHO you can't trust the security of any used computer unless & until YOU have formatted the HDD & then done a clean install of Windows (or paid someone - not the supposed "refurbisher" - to do it for you).
    • Mom's prolly better off sticking with Win10. Learning new stuff is good for her! <wink>

We purchased the computer from a Comprenew store on January 18, but the date on the OS install was January 10. We just activated the software on the 18th. Comprenew recycles old electronics etc. and is a certified Microsoft refurbisher. I am not positive
    which build is installed, but I can find it when I get over there. It looks like we have lots of help here to figure things out... all is tremendously appreciated. And... yes....it is good for her to learn new stuff, so we are trying to encourage her to
    learn the "new" Windows OS. We'll see what happens. Thanks again! I need help with some internet connectivity. :) Oh yeah, I do need to double check if it says go back to Windows7 or previous build...thanks for that. I've been looking at too many computers lately... can't remember which one says
    what. :[

Need some help with..., Apr 17, 2017
  3. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

Hi, thanks for your answer. So, at the point we decide to go back up to Windows 10, will we be able to download it from Microsoft's website, or is there another way? Should we make some sort of backup of her current hard drive? or... ??? Thanks tons again!

Need some help with..., Apr 17, 2017
  4. mQ573 Win User

On each machine, open a command prompt and type:
    IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\IPConf.txt
    Then post the contents of the two files C:\IPConf.txt (One from each machine).

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    If you cannot connect to email that your ISP offers, helps to know what email program you are using and who your ISP is.

bro67, Apr 17, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    That does nothing in this case. It is a issue with the Email program and the ISP email server settings for online and the program they may be using to pull the emails from that server.

bro67, Apr 17, 2017
  7. mQ573 Win User
    How could you say that when the OP specifically mentioned issues with connecting to this site, and many others?

The OP post is far from being precise enough not to start with the basics, and particularly with that works for him.

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  8. Nodnella Win User

My ISP is Ohiohills.com, I can, when every thing works get there by going to "ohiohills.com" or "ohiohillswebmail.isp.com" or "isp.com". I believe that "Zimbra" provides the material.

Is "Zimbra" the email program?

It does seem to me that there is something set wrong in my programming.

Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017
  9. Nodnella Win User
    Bro67, your analysis sounds like it could be right on track; any suggestions how I solve the issue?

Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Are you in a small town? Their site looks like early 2000 ISP web page. If it is ISP.com that owns them, I am seeing gmail available for users on that site.

bro67, Apr 17, 2017
  11. Nodnella Win User
    bro67,

I do live in a small town. I have had ohiohills for many years, brought it with me when I moved from SE Ohio to NE Ohio. I am reasonably certain that ohiohills is not he problem. Something has been changed in my computer; otherwise everything would not work perfectly on this XP dinosaur laptop.

mQ563 suggested doing something with command prompt; you think that will not help? I would have already done that but I do not remember how to get to command prompt and my garmin nuvi does not know the way either. (a little pavement humor) I use to know how but the brain cells where that information was stored have either died from alcohol abuse or old age! Since I rarely imbibe, old age appears to be at fault. I really need this Gateway to work.

Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017
  12. Samuria Win User
    Try setting your DNS to 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 check there is no proxy set in your browser

Samuria, Apr 17, 2017
  13. Nodnella Win User

I am willing to try that. Can you explain to me how I do that?

Nodnella, Apr 17, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    I'm gonna step in here and make a few suggestions/screenshots. Give me a few minutes to reply.

In the meantime, please right-click your start button on the W10 machine and select Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) and follow the instructions from page one:

Code: IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\IPConf.txt[/quote] Then post the contents of the file C:\IPConf.txt from the W10 machine here.

Then type in the search (Cortana) box winver, select the top search result to run the winver command and let us know which verison of W10 you're running.

simrick, Apr 17, 2017
  15. simrick Win User
Thema:

1. I need help with some internet connectivity. - Similar Threads - need help internet

2. I need some help with this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need some help with this.: So I've completely resetted my computer on January 27, 2023, and when the reset completes i complete the whole new computer setup guide. But when i am allowed access to my computer. it all of a sudden becomes completely unusable. The mouse barely moves it's like its lagging,...
  3. I need some help with this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need some help with this.: So I've completely resetted my computer on January 27, 2023, and when the reset completes i complete the whole new computer setup guide. But when i am allowed access to my computer. it all of a sudden becomes completely unusable. The mouse barely moves it's like its lagging,...
  4. I need some help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need some help: I tried to install the Windows 10 update on my HP laptop and now it got stuck in the loop and it's showing Attempting to recover installation & undoing changes made to your computer. I don't have a bootable usb. How can I resolve this? Thanks! submitted by /u/MrNoobyUwU...
  5. I need some Help

I need some Help: Hello, i want an ISO of the Windows 10 18363.752 build but i can't find it anywhere in the internet so i am asking anyone who's in here: can anyone send me an ISO? submitted by /u/Icey677059 [link] [comments]...
  6. Need help Pc not connecting to internet

Need help Pc not connecting to internet: I just got a pc for Christmas and just hooked it up but it won’t connect to internet no internets even show up even though my phone and l can connect fine please help. submitted by /u/dovakinalex69 [link] [comments]...
  7. I need some help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need some help: So, I'm wanting to buy an SSD for my laptop, it says the performance would increase dramatically. But the problem is, my laptop has terrible fps on Minecraft: Java edition, so, what should I do? My Laptop is a Toshiba satellite c55-b5100. Current Specs: Windows 10: Latest...
  8. I need help on internet connection

I need help on internet connection: I keep disconnecting and reconnecting on my PC. And now today, I just can’t find a network anymore. I tried to scan for corrupted files on CMD, but the sfc /scannow command would get stuck at 2%. How do I fix this submitted by /u/rk2kk [link] [comments]...
  9. I need some help.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need some help.: So, I saw a ad that I clicked on. After, as soon that I saw some coding appearing and a Microsoft Alert logo, I immediately clicked off the page. Was that the right thing to do, or should I have used Task Manager to close it? What should I do now?...
  10. I can't connect to the Internet! Need help urgently!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't connect to the Internet! Need help urgently!: So I upgraded last night and the Internet won't connect and I can't click on settings?! if you have a solution I need it to be very detailed as I am not a computer expert... i have tried troubleshooting it and it says nothing! Any ideas? 9869