Windows 10: I need information on using dual monitors

Discus and support I need information on using dual monitors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have just set up a second monitor. Been playing around with display settings and Nvidia control panel. I want to use the second monitor in extended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by lbeck, Dec 31, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

I need information on using dual monitors

I have just set up a second monitor. Been playing around with display settings and Nvidia control panel. I want to use the second monitor in extended mode. Choosing monitor 1 or 2 as primary gives markedly different results (of course) and I find myself rebooting my computer to get my mouse cursor onto the screen that I need to use. Then it won't move to the other monitor.

Can someone provide a good URL to a site that explains how to set up and use a second monitor. I also want to know the utility of a second monitor so that I can take advantage of it. I'm willing to purchase an on-line book if it's inexpensive. Mainly, I want a boost up the learning curve because I'm spending too much time flying in the dark and getting unexpected results.

Thanks for our help!

Oh, and BTW Happy New Year *Party

:)

lbeck, Dec 31, 2016

2. Dual monitor, Dual mouse??

Hello,

Please share this information to assist you better.

• How have you setup dual monitors?
    • Are you referring to use 2 different mouse/keyboard with the dual monitor setup?
    If yes, the mouse or keyboard may function same as one another. Since, it has to be connected to single PC/tower.

However, setting up 2 different mouse/keyboard with the Dual- monitor setup, it may not function separately for each monitor.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will assist you further.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 31, 2016
  3. Need information on Windows 10 upgrade on Dual Boot

You can upgrade either or both if you wish.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc), games and settings (ie. passwords, custom
    dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

I need information on using dual monitors [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 31, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

It sounds to me like you are hitting the edge on the left monitor and can't scroll past it. To rectify this swap the display connectors that are plugged in to the back of the graphics card. You can also use Window's display settings to re-order the monitors so they flow from left to right.

As far as multi monitor software goes, I can recommend DisplayFusion which is great at enhancing multi monitors.

swarfega, Dec 31, 2016
  5. Go to Settings > System > Display:

I need information on using dual monitors [​IMG]

Drag the representations of the screens until they reflect the physical positions. Then your cursor will move from screen to screen as required.

Alan Russell, Dec 31, 2016
  6. lbeck Win User
    I can't do this. My graphics card has one DVI port and one HDMI port. My main monitor is DVI (no HDMI) and my second monitor is HDMI only. I've taken your advice and looked at DisplayFusion and it does seem to be something that will help. I'll download the trial version.

I think I've used this configuration - not sure. I have had the cursor moving as desired but then playing around with other settings my desktop gets changed (icons rearranged), display resolution changes, and other unanticipated changes occur. That's why I need more education from a comprehensive URL or other medium that I can peruse and learn more about the configuration dictated by my graphics card and monitors. As I mentioned, flying in the dark is only causing frustration.

I could start a document with notes on changes and results, but I'm thinking that someone somewhere has laid out changes -> results already.

lbeck, Dec 31, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Connect main monitor to DVI and your secondary to HDMI. I currently have main on DisplayPort and secondary on DVI so it does work.

swarfega, Dec 31, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

9. lbeck Win User
    Thanks to all. Good information here. I have purchased DisplayFusion and it appears to do for me everything that I need - and more.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I need information on using dual monitors - Similar Threads - need information using

2. Issue with using Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with using Dual Monitors: Greetings all; I just installed 2nd monitor. Settings are EXTENDED. My cursor moves from main screen to second screen BUTTTT, when I attempt to move a window it does not appear on 2nd monitor. Assistance appreciated, TIA sonny...
  3. Needing Help With Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Needing Help With Dual Monitors: I'm running windows 10 home and I have a hdmi port on my laptop that I connected to my secondary monitor. Display Resolution 1366 X 768 (Recommended) for the laptop resolution. But the secondary monitor is 1920 x1080 full hd. I want to have 2 different wallpapers one for...
  4. Needing Help With Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Needing Help With Dual Monitors: I'm running windows 10 home and I have a hdmi port on my laptop that I connected to my secondary monitor. Display Resolution 1366 X 768 (Recommended) for the laptop resolution. But the secondary monitor is 1920 x1080 full hd. I want to have 2 different wallpapers one for...
  5. Need Help With Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help With Dual Monitors: Hey! I just setup dual monitors using an old monitor I found, but there's a small problem. The old monitor I found is super long vertically, and the bottom of the screen is far below my eyeline. I thought a simple fix for this would be to change the resolution vertically,...
  6. Dual use of Monitors and need to stop Computer from reconfiguring Monitors.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual use of Monitors and need to stop Computer from reconfiguring Monitors.: 1. Computer is used to display power points, etc. to 3 additional monitors besides the CPU monitor. 2. Problem: Need to be able to input another feed to the 3 additional monitors through a switch to feed a live camera display but when this is done, the CPU automatically...
  7. Need Help with dual monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with dual monitors: I setup dual monitors, and everything is fine except for the fact that when I open a program from my secondary monitor, it displays on my primary monitor and shows the taskbar button on both monitors. Any fix? submitted by /u/Slosshy [link] [comments]...
  8. Needing help with dual-monitor wallpaper

Needing help with dual-monitor wallpaper: Ok, so I have a Dual-Monitor Set up, as i'm sure a lot of people here do. I have 2 separate wallpapers. One for each monitor. They keep changing. I do not want them to change. I have tried registry edits, and looked through the Settings, but can't seem to get it to stay. Can...
  9. Using Dual monitors

Using Dual monitors: I have two monitors - one good graphics/images large screen that I like to keep with a plain background. The other I have had scrolling photos form the "Pictures" folder - they would be displayed several at a time and change periodically. Over night something happened ( a...
  10. Need help with dual monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need help with dual monitors: Hello. I cannot get a dual monitor setup to work for the life of me. I've made a LITTLE progress though by tweaking the BIOS to load from the Mobo VGA port first on boot, but now the second monitor just stays lit up with the windows 10 logo and nothing else, while the first...