Windows 10: I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it

Discus and support I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently had my PlayStation 3 system corrupt, and I had two options, to delete all of my data and start new, or go trough a long process to restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiamondDiancie1, Aug 25, 2015.

1. I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it

I recently had my PlayStation 3 system corrupt, and I had two options, to delete all of my data and start new, or go trough a long process to restore my data.

To restore my data, I need to change my computer to the SATA Controller mode IDE, but I can not find it in the system BIOS. The closet thing I can find is switching between AHCI and ATA, but I need IDE mode.

Where can I find the setting to change it?

:)

DiamondDiancie1, Aug 25, 2015
  2. KubekVF Win User

Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

I was able to change it now (I also had some issues with NICs so I decided to reinstall my PC but I wanted to keep my files, programs, settings .... ). Here is how:

• Lunch application "setup.exe" from path "c:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\" (simply running upgrade to 10 again, but this time from windows 10)
    • After first reboot, change SATA mode to AHCI and let Windows finish upgrade
    • Everything should be fine now
    I am now running my disks in AHCI mode now and even don't have (so far) issues I had before.

KubekVF, Aug 25, 2015
  3. KubekVF Win User
    Change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, this doesn't really solve my problem. I know why I have BSOD and I would rather reinstall Windows only only in the case it will be necessary.

I would like to keep my files and settings and change sata mode to ahci. I hope someone will come with solution over the time. I will be waiting.

But thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

KubekVF, Aug 25, 2015
  4. I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it

Hi

"AHCI" is the native mode of "SATA" which supports SATA exclusive features like hot-swapping etc. While "IDE" mode will emulate legacy "PATA" (Parallel ATA) port. Most of the times, "PATA" will be simply referred as "ATA" in BIOS setup. So you should set "AHCI" to "ATA" for "IDE" emulation.

Btw, OS may not boot if you change SATA operation mode.

Anshad Edavana, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Why do you need to change the mode? The drive doesn't care what mode your SATA controller is in. If it is a SATA drive it talks to the controller using SATA. AHCI or Legacy IDE is just how the SATA controller talks to the host system.

logicearth, Aug 25, 2015
  6. For my computer to be able to fix the magnet failures that caused the corruption in the HDD, my computer needs to be in IDE mode, that's why.

Thank you for letting me know that. Is there any way to avoid the restart loop, or no? If there was a way to, it would be great to know!

DiamondDiancie1, Aug 26, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try this:
    Run msconfig (right click far left bottom corner of desktop then left click run, type msconfig).

Click boot tab, mark safe boot, restart, change to ATA (or IDE) in BIOS, boot, Windows boots in safe mode.

Run msconfig again, boot tab unmark safe boot, restart PC.

If that doesn't work, you can always go back to AHCI in BIOS. Also, when you done messing with your game system drive, you probably have to use the same procedure to go back to AHCI.

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  8. Geneo Win User

I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it

Yep, safe mode should do it, it will install the right drivers once you change the mode.

Geneo, Aug 26, 2015
  9. I was able to change my computer to ATA mode successfully, but now my computer does not recognize the PS3 HHD in either mode, so I can not repair the issues. How can I get my computer to recognize it?

DiamondDiancie1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it

1. I need to change my SATA Controlller mode to IDE but I can not find it - Similar Threads - need change SATA

2. Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?: I have multiple hard drives from old computers that I am trying to recover data from. I have a USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter. But, when I plug it in to my Windows 10 desktop and turn it on, the file explorer stops responding? It seems to freeze the whole desktop? How do I get...
  3. Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change from AHCI to IDE SATA mode without reinstalling OS / Disable NCQ: Hello everyone, My Computer is quite old, but still powerful enough for my daily work. It's a custom built pc with a AMD FX 8320, 16 GB RAM and 2TB Samsung SSD. It runs fine except that it freezes from time to time. So the system freezes for like 2 to 30 seconds, and either...
  4. trying to restore image backup after changing SATA ide to SATA RAID1 setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    trying to restore image backup after changing SATA ide to SATA RAID1 setup: system is either 1903 or 1909 i honestly didn't look at what update has done since i installed over my Win7Pro... when i run system restore i get the error blah blah blah disk is too small. Replace with a larger disk blah blah blah.... Why exactly am i getting this...
  5. Connected SATA with IDE Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected SATA with IDE Settings: I have G4117L0D bios Zebronics ZEB G41 D3 motherboard in my PC I have connected 2 HDD, both have 6GB/s capability (SATA 3) BIOS has options of SATA type as IDE, AHCI, RAID. In IDE there are 2 options, Before PATA and Behind PATA. In AHCI there are again the same options...
  6. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  7. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  8. IDE drive to SATA host

IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...
  9. IDE Hard Drives are Dead and I Need Help

IDE Hard Drives are Dead and I Need Help: I got a problem with 2 of my IDE hard drives. I think theyre dead. I use a USB to IDE cable to connect my computer to it. I remember I would disconnect one and reconnect the other and would switch between the two in search of a vital file. I would disconnect and reconnect on...
  10. Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge

Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge: Hi! I recently tried to use this device which worked on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to 10. I found that the USB2 device fluctuated from appearing in Device Manager. Also the SATA drive appeared as named device, then Local drive or disappeared completely. I...