Windows 10: I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer

Discus and support I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to map a drive letter to the D: (hard) drive on another computer, I don't see it in the Map network drive Browse window. 78219 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer

I want to map a drive letter to the D: (hard) drive on another computer, I don't see it in the Map network drive Browse window.

:)

rboppy, Feb 26, 2017

2. Unable to Access Mapped Drive on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - from Windows 10 Pro Laptop.

Instead of "mapping" a folder on another server, you need to "share" it on that server.

While testing you should turn off both firewalls.

d:\>net share

Share name Resource Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CDROM F:\

DriveC C:\

DriveD D:\

DriveE E:\

Frederik Long, Feb 26, 2017
  3. Maps App for Windows 10 Not Working

This is exactly what I found: don't use your D drive.

rabilancia, Feb 26, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

You won't, for security it's a hidden share. You can map to it using the address \\ computer_name \D$

5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Bree! Will give it a try.

rboppy, Feb 26, 2017
  6. rboppy Win User
    It wouldn't accept my credentials.

rboppy, Feb 26, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    It's an administrator share when asked for username and password you enter the admin on the PC your connecting to it's simpler if you create an administrator account on the PC with same name and password on the PC as the one your logged in with

Samuria, Feb 26, 2017
  8. rboppy Win User

When I go to Settings-Accounts on the computer I'm connecting to, it lists:
    my user name
    Local Account
    Administrator

Is there anything else I need to do?

rboppy, Feb 26, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    As long as both are the same and admin it should work you can use the cmd prompt

net use e: \\pcname\d$ password /user:msmith2

Samuria, Feb 27, 2017
  10. rboppy Win User
    I re-booted the computer, tried again to map a drive letter using \\username\D$ and received this error:

“The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password.To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.”

On the other computer, I do have drive letters mapped to the D: drive, I don't really have to disconnect them do I?

Samuria, I'll try the net use command tomorrow and report back here. Not sure what the /user:msmith2 is, I imagine I'd replace that with my user name, right?

rboppy, Feb 27, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    No, it's saying that on this computer you already have a drive letter mapped to the other computer's D: drive. By default a mapping you made previously is reconnected after rebooting. Type net use to see a list of exiting mappings. Type net use x: /delete to disconnect the existing mapping (change 'x:' to the letter you actually have mapped).

Yes, and replace 'password' with your password.

12. rboppy Win User
    This is the results of 'net use' and samuria's command:

I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer [​IMG]

Don't know what ipc$ is, even after Googling it.

rboppy, Feb 27, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

The inter-process communication share (IPC$) is a special share that lets your PC know what all the other available shares are.
    Description of the IPC$ share – Smallvoid.com

14. rboppy Win User
    Still not completely clear, but it doesn't matter to me, I'll hopefully never have to use it.

But I still want to map a drive letter to the D: drive on JIMSPUTER, since the error is not correct, as I understand it, what's next?

rboppy, Feb 27, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Your screenshot shows you already have drive Z: mapped to a share on JIMSPUTER. You cannot connect to two shares on JIMSPUTER using different credential for each.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...e-and-password

Either disconnect your Z: drive and reconnect it using the same credentials as you want to use for D$ or use the IP address workaround in the above link.

Thema:

1. I need to map a drive to the D: drive on another computer - Similar Threads - need map drive

2. Need help with broken drive mapping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with broken drive mapping: Drive mapping broken - due to replacement of computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-broken-drive-mapping/43430f22-6fbd-44a5-980a-6a5d39b79ddb
  3. Need help with broken drive mapping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with broken drive mapping: Drive mapping broken - due to replacement of computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-broken-drive-mapping/43430f22-6fbd-44a5-980a-6a5d39b79ddb
  4. i need to read my d drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need to read my d drive: How do i read my d drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-read-my-d-drive/ae499c48-b528-41a2-8b08-e344a292e9e4
  5. Mapping drive D to a directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping drive D to a directory: Is there a way I can map drive D -- not drive X, Y, Z, or J -- to a directory?To avoid a misunderstanding, I am not asking how to map a drive. I know how to do that. I'm asking if there's a way to map a particular drive that is not in the File Manager > Computer > Map network...
  6. Mapping drive D to a directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping drive D to a directory: Is there a way I can map drive D -- not drive X, Y, Z, or J -- to a directory?To avoid a misunderstanding, I am not asking how to map a drive. I know how to do that. I'm asking if there's a way to map a particular drive that is not in the File Manager > Computer > Map network...
  7. Mapping drive D to a directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I need Google map drive download

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need Google map drive download: Split from this thread. I need Google map drive download https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-google-map-drive-download/0e221114-d2ef-4133-9a45-0c5d3815a498
  9. mapping/mapped drives

mapping/mapped drives: I have a Windows 10 Pro fully updated computer that has three folders on a second drive not the boot drive. I created three usernames/passwords on this computer and gave rights to each user for each folder. When I go to any one of the computers 8-10 on the network workgroup I...
  10. I Need Another Cloud Drive

I Need Another Cloud Drive: Greetings, Everyone. I am running short on storage space, I've used the disk cleaner that comes with the windows ten, its basically useless since I have used it so much and it still has loads of Storage used. I was thinking of a cloud drive that appears like OneDrive on file...