Windows 10: I/O performance on VM severely degraded with anniversary update

Discus and support I/O performance on VM severely degraded with anniversary update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there I/O performance is HIDEOUS when using a VM or external USB 3 device --I am experiencing huge Buffer refreshes in Plex media server when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

I/O performance on VM severely degraded with anniversary update

Hi there

I/O performance is HIDEOUS when using a VM or external USB 3 device --I am experiencing huge Buffer refreshes in Plex media server when serving movies either from a VM running PLEX Media server or using external USB3 device on Windows.

Reverted back again to build 1511.

It only take me about 10 mins to restore so I'll keep the other image until the I/O problem is fixed

Could be VMWARE or USB 3 driver or PLEX.

Don't have time to debug all those products. !!!

1511 serving movies again fine --no buffering problems.

I have excellent Wifi - half the planet would DIE for ==>-up to 1 Gbs/s so no probs on that score !!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016

2. How to defer updates/upgrades on Windows 10?

Answer

I'm surprised that nobody in this discussion knows how to defer updates in Windows 10. I recently performed a clean install of Windows 10 in a VM and updated to the Anniversary Update before going back to Insider Preview.

The steps on how to defer updates for the
    Anniversary Update are:

Please refer to the following article:

Skat0r vista, Aug 5, 2016
  3. suat.cini Win User
    Windows App Updating

Updating and upgrading is the only way to go. You cannot keep away from updates and upgrades for fear that your system may be broken or undergo performance degradation.

If performance degrades after one update, then it will improve over the next update.

I have several computers running Windows 10 and I keep them updated both in Windows 10 domain and in Windows store domain. And I am happy doing it. Not that I haven't had problems.

If you are too skeptical, then after the updates check the system files integrity and defrag your system drive.

Have a nice day.

suat.cini, Aug 5, 2016
Thema:

I/O performance on VM severely degraded with anniversary update

1. I/O performance on VM severely degraded with anniversary update - Similar Threads - performance severely degraded

2. Windows 10 VM degraded

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 VM degraded: Hi,I am running a Windows 10 Pro x64 [with a Windows Insider license]. My host gave me a BSOD at one point with the VM running.Since then I can log in but end up with a black screen. Ctrl-Alt-Del works but the task manager doesn't open.When I try any recovery option, it...
  3. Windows 10 Degraded Performance with 20H2 update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Degraded Performance with 20H2 update.: Please Help! My windows 10 display looks blurry and its very slow now and the disk usage is always at 100% but just yesterday it was working fine with no issues. I just turned it on this morning and I don't know what to do anymore I've tried a reset but that doesn't work it...
  4. Degraded PC Performance - Windows 10

Degraded PC Performance - Windows 10: My Dell desktop PC w/ Windows 10 has runs slower and slower, until I have to reboot. The reboot is required at least once per day. This never used to be the case. It began happening about a month ago. I checked the memory w/ the Windows memory analyzer, which showed...
  5. Disk I/O throughput on VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Disk I/O throughput on VM: Hi there USB3 passport self powered HDD (not an SSD) attached via a 4 port un-powered USB 3 hub on KVM / QEMU W10 VM managed decent Macrium image backup in approx 8 mins with perfectly acceptable speed --from the screenshot you can see there's a decent amount of applications...
  6. Laptop performance degraded after May 19 Update

Laptop performance degraded after May 19 Update: I updated my laptop to Windows 10 v1903 a week ago. After that, the performance of my system slowly started to degrade, browsers would lag, video players lag almost every 30 seconds or so, windows explorer is also slow. Yesterday, I installed a clean copy of Windows 10 v1809...
  7. Windows 10 Performance Degradation

Windows 10 Performance Degradation: Hi, My PC is now 5 years old and its performance has been gradually degrading over the last few months until it is almost unusable. I am trying to determine if this is just because of its age, whether it's a hardware problem, a problem with Windows, or with some third-party...
  8. Startup performance degradation...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup performance degradation...: There's an app on my system that causes startup performance degradation: [img] The file name in the event viewer is "Devic" and in details tab, the folder name displayed as "C:\Devic". This performance degradation does not happen every day and presumably, during the other...
  9. Anniversary update and VMware - really HORRIBLE I/O performance

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Anniversary update and VMware - really HORRIBLE I/O performance: Hi there I've noticed that I/O performance on VM's is really poor when using VMWARE with Anniversary update - makes no difference whether the VM is a LINUX or WINDOWS VM if running on the same Host. For example USB 3 transfers with HDD's -- on 1511 (HOST) transfer rate...
  10. After Anniversary update performance drop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After Anniversary update performance drop: Noticing lot of performance problems like freezing for several minutes after applying latest windows 10 updates. Even tried to reinstall my security programs but nothing really helps. I think that my PC is not that old to be freezing like this. I am running Windows 10 64 Bit...