Windows 10: I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again...

Discus and support I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Alrighty, so I upgraded my brand new laptop to 10 on launch day...and for the next week I experienced numerous problems with the OS unfortunately. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LotsofErrors, Aug 14, 2015.

1. I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again...

Alrighty, so I upgraded my brand new laptop to 10 on launch day...and for the next week I experienced numerous problems with the OS unfortunately. I was forced to revert back to 8.1, which has been behaving flawlessly.

I would like to try the upgrade to 10 again, but I have some questions/thoughts.

-If for some reason, I again experience issues with Win 10, will I once again be able to revert to 8.1? Does 10 always let you revert to 8.1 in the first month?

-To rule out any flaws in the Win 10 update download, I'd like to delete the whole thing off my computer and let it re-download the upgrade. How do I do this?

:)

LotsofErrors, Aug 14, 2015
  2. kmans777 Win User

No wireless networks are available after upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on Surface Pro 2

Hello Annu,

Thank you for your reply. I have reverted back to 8.1 temporarily. I will try your suggestions next time I upgrade to 10 again. Should be in the next day or so.

Karl

kmans777, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Windows mobile 10 problems

Since I am not getting any support on this, or at least an indication of what is the next step I am considering reverting back to Windows 8.1 on my phone.

If I factory reset my NOKIA LUMIA 930 will it revert back to windows 8.1 after the upgrade to windows 10? It came with Windows 8.1.

MariosPanayiotou, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again...

Use MediaCreationTool to create a flash drive to use to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, which will activate okay since you have already done the upgrade and activation successfully.

Windows 10 - Clean Install

Ztruker, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Actually, one of the problems with my first attempt to upgrade is that it would never activate.

LotsofErrors, Aug 14, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    You could download the ISO from here (make sure you chose the correct version based on your W8 OS):

Tech Bench

Mount it from within W8, and do the upgrade that way. And yes, you must get an "activated upgrade" before you can clean install.

I don't know if you will still have 30 days to revert or not.

simrick, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    If that's true then you need to do the upgrade to 10 again.

Disable anti-virus and any firewall you might be using other than the built-in Windows Defender and Windows Firewall,.

Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display (everything). For a laptop disconnect external mouse, use touchpad.
    Uninstall Classic Shell or Start8 or any other Start button software.

Then follow this: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

Ztruker, Aug 14, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you make an image of your Windows 8 before you upgrade you are guaranteed to be able to revert back - even beyond the 30 days. I would never trust the revert option in Windows 10. Too many people have had it fail.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  9. While I appreciate everyone's input here...we still have not addressed my two key questions.

LotsofErrors, Aug 15, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is supposed to. That is no guarantee that it will. Hence, the suggestion to make your own backup image of 8.1 before upgrading.

On your C: drive there should be two hidden folders called something like Windows_BT$ and Windows_WS. Delete those. Also delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

Then upgrade using the Media Creation Tool "Upgrade this PC now" option:
    Windows 10

That will download a fresh copy of Windows 10 upgrade regardless of whether or not you have deleted the old traces of the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    -If for some reason, I again experience issues with Win 10, will I once again be able to revert to 8.1? Does 10 always let you revert to 8.1 in the first month?

Addressed here: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...ml#post341764"

-To rule out any flaws in the Win 10 update download, I'd like to delete the whole thing off my computer and let it re-download the upgrade. How do I do this?

Addressed here: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...tml#post341529

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2015
  12. How did you do the first upgrade? The more detail you provide the better. We may be able to figure out why activation failed.

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  13. I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again...

I reserved the Win 10 upgrade when the icon first popped up in my taskbar.

Over time, it downloaded everything necessary as is the case with everyone else.

On launch day, I proceeded to upgrade through Windows Update. The Upgrade installed no problem. However, I experienced a litany of issues - constant freezing, Cortana/search not working (and freezing), Skype failing to connect, and the Activation continually failing. I followed the Activation advice posted many times, but I sat here for four-five days, clicking Activate for hours, to no avail.

With the Activation not working, coupled with the screen freezes and Cortana failure, it was time to go back to 8.1. While it's not my favorite Windows, it is certainly more reliable than Win 10 was for me.

My first question is not about making an image. Yes, that's an option and a very good one. However my first question is the following:

1) I upgraded to Win 10. It didn't work out so well, so I reverted back to 8.1 At some point, I'm going to try the Win 10 upgrade again. If it doesn't work out AGAIN, will Windows let me revert, AGAIN, or was the reverting a one-time thing, period?

2) As my Win 10 never activated, Ztruker, your methodology doesn't work for me. And I don't want to do a clean install if possible, I'd like to go through the upgrade process again, like plenty of people did with absolutely no problem.

LotsofErrors, Aug 16, 2015
  14. You should get the Roll back option again, no reason not to. I would upgrade again to be sure Windows 10 activates. Before doing a clean install.

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, you "SHOULD" be able to roll back to 8.1. Key word is SHOULD. There have been lots of reports of the roll back failing, which is why creating a backup image is so very necessary.

Definitely try the upgrade again, but this time get rid of everything not absolutely necessary to running Win 8.1 successfully.

1. Uninstall any anti-virus other than Defender.
    2. Uninstall any firewall other than Windows Firewall.
    3. Uninstall any theme modifications.
    4. Uninstall Classic Shell, Start8, Windows Blinds, etc.
    5. Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display.

Additional possibilities:

1. Task Manager, Startup tab, disable everything not required for the computer and OS to run.
    2. Msconfig, Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services then disable anything not required for the computer and OS to run.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again... - Similar Threads - reverted next steps

2. Next step after downloaded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Next step after downloaded: What I need to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/next-step-after-downloaded/1295fe30-0f63-449e-8795-11ddf800e71f
  3. Next step after downloaded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Next step after downloaded: What I need to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/next-step-after-downloaded/1295fe30-0f63-449e-8795-11ddf800e71f
  4. Windows 10 BSOD recovery next steps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 BSOD recovery next steps: I got Error Code 0xc0000001 and haven' been able to successfully boot for a couple of days. Fearing I'd lose my data, I bought a NVMe SSD external usb connector and copied most of the data onto a slow external HDD.Last night I ran drive and memory diagnostics and those tests...
  5. Windows 10 BSOD recovery next steps

Windows 10 BSOD recovery next steps: I got Error Code 0xc0000001 and haven' been able to successfully boot for a couple of days. Fearing I'd lose my data, I bought a NVMe SSD external usb connector and copied most of the data onto a slow external HDD.Last night I ran drive and memory diagnostics and those tests...
  6. Windows 10 BSOD recovery next steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps: How do I go about upgrading to windows 10 for free as mention on Microsoft website? I have a purchased Windows 7 pro licence on my current desktop PC. I tried to follow the steps shown on the website but ended up with error: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000...
  8. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps: How do I go about upgrading to windows 10 for free as mention on Microsoft website? I have a purchased Windows 7 pro licence on my current desktop PC. I tried to follow the steps shown on the website but ended up with error: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000...
  9. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Next Step

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Next Step: I had hoped that when I reached Klondike Level 500 I would be promoted form Gold to Diamond Grandmaster, but it didn't happen. What level do I have to reach before receiving that accolade?...