Windows 10: I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered?

Discus and support I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just brought home a new computer with Windows 10 and have been transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer. In addition, I have an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loclhero, Apr 27, 2017.

1. loclhero Win User

I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered?

I just brought home a new computer with Windows 10 and have been transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer. In addition, I have an external drive that I've used to keep some tax records and many personal photos etc.

I plugged it into my new computer and was organizing files on the external drive, moving some onto the new computer and at some point I noticed in File Explorer that the F drive that I had it on was showing up twice. I don't know why but I actually hit delete for one of the two f drives that was showing up and now the external drive is not showing up at all. I tried plugging it back into my old computer and it doesn't show up. I went into Disk Management and it's not showing up in there either. Have I completely lost everything on there? And even if I have, how do I get the drive to show up again? My worry though is that I've lost everything.

:)

loclhero, Apr 27, 2017

2. Data recovery on external hard drive

Backed up 500gb data onto 1tb external Toshiba hard drive (v63700-c, HDTB210xk3ba), created a windows recovery drive on Toshiba external hard drive using windows 10 s/w which has 500gb data. While creating a recovery drive, windows 10 didn't warn
    me that data will be deleted, my data 500gb is not visible on toshiba external drive, want to get back my data ? Can you pl help me? searched internet and found R-studio, testdisk, minitool s/w which seems will recover deleted partition, did anyone used these
    or any suggestions highly appreciated.

venugopalvallabhu, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Start menu not working on Windows 10

I have up trying to fix this problem. Created new user, backed up data to external hard drive and deleted corrupted user. All seems to work fine for now!

David H92XJ, Apr 27, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Hi loclhero and welcome to the forum. I doubt you've lost your external drive. Try shutting down the Win 10 PC then unplug the external drive. Reboot the PC and then shut it down again. Next plug your external drive in and then turn the PC on again and see if you can access the external drive. If not does it show up in Disk Management?

SoFine409, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Anything can be recovered But, I'm about to hit no signal for a week range.

Mountains- you might like to Google Hirens or Knoppix CD to examine the disk (they boot off cd/DVD/flash drives).

Or perhaps someone else can assist you. I had one of your moments around 2001 when someone did a complete wipe of my drive to DOD clean before the backup had completed.

Got it all back after a couple of days. Trouble at the moment I can't recall all steps other than Hirens, knoppix and one other program from holland or Germany freeware and it was Linux based.

Best I can offer.

Frozenoem1, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Welcome to the forums loclhero!

Easiest first, have you ran Windows built in diagnostic's? Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices.

indianacarnie, Apr 27, 2017
  7. loclhero Win User
    Well I wound up just unplugging power supply and then plugging it back in and it came back. *Thumbs

Thanks everyone for your help!

loclhero, Apr 27, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Thats great. As far as I could tell you didn't do anything that would have resulted in a loss of data. All you did was cancel out of a view.

SoFine409, Apr 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    It is a peculiarity of Win 10 - and has been for a long time- that external drives may be shown twice in file explorer's navigation pane. It's possible to correct this, but the problem usually recurs.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I seem to have deleted an external drive, can data be recovered? - Similar Threads - seem deleted external

2. recover deleted data in Drive C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover deleted data in Drive C: Hello Team,We were resetting Outlook, but missed taking backup of .ost data file.Is there a tool within Windows or any help from Windows that can recover the lost file.Thanks & Regards....
  3. recover deleted data in Drive C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover deleted data in Drive C: Hello Team,We were resetting Outlook, but missed taking backup of .ost data file.Is there a tool within Windows or any help from Windows that can recover the lost file.Thanks & Regards....
  4. how can I recover data from encrypted external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can I recover data from encrypted external SSD: Hi,I bought a new PC with windows Home on it. As I first opened the Pc, the windows started asking for new updates so I let it do it. I had an SSD that I was using on another PC to boot from. I put it in an enclosure and I wanted to use it as an external drive to get my old...
  5. how can I recover data from encrypted external SSD

how can I recover data from encrypted external SSD: Hi,I bought a new PC with windows Home on it. As I first opened the Pc, the windows started asking for new updates so I let it do it. I had an SSD that I was using on another PC to boot from. I put it in an enclosure and I wanted to use it as an external drive to get my old...
  6. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  7. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  8. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Can a backup file deleted from an external drive, be recovered?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can a backup file deleted from an external drive, be recovered?: Hello I accidentally (to free some space) deleted a .bak file from an external drive and it contained the only copy of some files I had. Is there a way to recover it?...
  10. how to recover deleted data in pen drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to recover deleted data in pen drive: I was just assigned by my boss to cover a meeting and acted as secretariat. I did all the editing and noted the inputs from every member of the committee. When I went back to the office and did other tasks assigned to me, moved and/or deleted files to free up my pen drive....