Windows 10: I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates

Discus and support I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. When I was using Windows 7, I had Windows Updates configured so that nothing happened unless I said so. This was to prevent W7 from installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017.

1. I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates

Hi. When I was using Windows 7, I had Windows Updates configured so that nothing happened unless I said so. This was to prevent W7 from installing anything relating to W10.

Yesterday, I upgraded to W10 (upgrade, NOT clean install) and my WU settings page looks like this (see pic). Now that I'm on W10 I don't see a problem with automatic updates – can anyone tell me how to change to it? Many thanks if you can assist.

:)

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017

2. i have no option to schedule times for updates

Do you want that your computer should check for the updates at a specific interval?

or

If the updates Install, and ask for a restart then scheduling a restart?

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 28, 2017
  3. bgi130 Win User
    i have no option to schedule times for updates

when windows 10 pro installed i had that option. now i do not have that option. what has gone wrong

bgi130, Mar 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates

You're not missing anything there (RHS). Updates are automatic unless you do something to change that.

Perhaps you are thinking of whether the upgrade to Win 10 was a recommended upgrade?

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @dortmunder

Are you on a metered connection? That message (where you indicated unclickable) seems to indicate so. On metered connections, only critical security and must have updates will be automatic. Otherwise, you will be prompted to allow them to be downloaded. All to save your bandwidth and $$$.

This is what it looks like on un-metered connection.

I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates [​IMG]

Check your Network settings, WiFi and see if you're set with metered connections on. Setting it off should put the updates back to fully automatic. Could make a dent in your bandwidth, though.

I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates [​IMG]

All this is based on assuming your connection is WiFi. Please tell us if it is. Thanks, TC......

f14tomcat, Mar 28, 2017
  6. The 'metered' scenario was a good suggestion but, alas, I was already set as unmetered (see pic). My 'Update Settings' are still as they were in the first post i.e. 'You'll be asked to download available updates'. So weird that I can't seem to change that...

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017
  7. It seems, that your 10 has somehow managed to keep policies after upgrade.
    You can try remove them, that should reset it, run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
    Code: reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate" /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Mar 28, 2017
  8. I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates

That's got it! Many thanks - you're a star.

My Update Settings now conclude with 'You'll be asked to install updates when they've been downloaded'. I take it, then, that the Update service is not - as I've read many times on the net - fully automated, i.e. it can't be set to install the updates as well?

Thanks again.

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    How to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 RTM - Winaero

Section 2 no. 3 Enable the Group Policy named Configure Automatic Updates and set it to "2 - Notify for download and notify for install":

Presumably that's how yours is set, so you'd need to reverse the change.

The above gives GPO and regedit options, or you could just use Winaero's free tweaker, and in the Windows Update section click Reset.

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  10. Thanks, dalchina. The options available under Group Policy were plentiful – I chose number 5 (allow local admin to choose...) as that seemed logical. I did a reboot to be sure any changes would take effect but, no – my Advanced Options screen still looks like it does in my first post.

I'd really like it to be 'normal' as per this guide that I found (see pic). Can anyone offer any further suggestions? Thanks!

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    - try that- easiest and safest.

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  12. Winaero is a marvellous looking tool, I'll have to spend some time going through it. Unfortunately, my copy seems of no use with my current issue - it doesn't have the Reset function you spoke of. Are you using a different version, maybe?

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

It's at the top- slightly obscurely, I think 'Reset this page to defaults'

The web page shows it bottom right (older version I guess).

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
  14. Thanks. I clicked it and got no indication that anything had happened. The WU pages still looks the same (i.e. wrong). Perhaps a restart is needed to I'll report back tomorrow. Bedtime is looming...

dortmunder, Mar 28, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    I'm making the (probably dangerous) assumption that's what it means and does (!!) - I've not tried it except I see the same as you.

I tried that in a simple case - add 'bat' to New in file explorer- it worked as expected in that case.

Otherwise use the details on the page referenced
    How to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 RTM - Winaero
    and reverse the change there (it gives GPO and registry options).

dalchina, Mar 28, 2017
Thema:

1. I seem to have no option for Automatic downloading of updates - Similar Threads - seem option Automatic

2. I don't have the option for downloading Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have the option for downloading Windows 11: My PC supports W11 but I don't have the option in windows update to download it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-the-option-for-downloading-windows-11/7d67e80c-52fa-494a-bf70-0907982926a8
  3. I don't have the option for downloading Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't have the option for downloading Windows 11: My PC supports W11 but I don't have the option in windows update to download it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-the-option-for-downloading-windows-11/7d67e80c-52fa-494a-bf70-0907982926a8
  4. Download folder automatically sets group by option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download folder automatically sets group by option: I tried setting group by none for the downloads folder, but many times the settings automatically changes back to group by Date Modified. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-folder-automatically-sets-group-by-option/788e73f7-3bbe-4953-b15c-20a7ade0ac22
  5. I have all automatic update options toggled off, and I just noticed I have 50 failed...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have all automatic update options toggled off, and I just noticed I have 50 failed...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Danvideotech2385 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mn57t8/i_have_all_automatic_update_options_toggled_off/
  6. Should I download these optional driver updates? (they're probably not important but I have...

Should I download these optional driver updates? (they're probably not important but I have...: https://imgur.com/a/jzNvNLo submitted by /u/lililpotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lt8jzj/should_i_download_these_optional_driver_updates/
  7. Should I download optional updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I download optional updates?: Should I install optional updates from Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-download-optional-updates/9addd63a-fa13-4072-99bc-4d276a838a00
  8. Cumulative update installed automatically while downloading feature update! Should I have...

Cumulative update installed automatically while downloading feature update! Should I have...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Meiisheart [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0xa1w/cumulative_update_installed_automatically_while/
  9. Automatic Downloads allow option not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatic Downloads allow option not available: My OneDrive files won't download and attach. In Seetings>Privacy>Automatic Downloads, the 'allow' button is greyed out....what is the solution?...
  10. dafault language does not seem to have option to change

in Windows 10 Customization
    dafault language does not seem to have option to change: I installed greek language so that I could use the occasional word in greek. This worked fine, until I rebooted. I had noticed that "Region and Language" was threatening that on reboot the default language would be Greek, but there was no option to change it - the drop-down...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. youll be asked to install updates when theyve been downloaded