Windows 10: I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore

Discus and support I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; No idea why, but my 1709 x64 system seems to no longer install most updates to Windows. I got four updates on February 13, 2018, but they're all for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by meh, Feb 20, 2018.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore

No idea why, but my 1709 x64 system seems to no longer install most updates to Windows. I got four updates on February 13, 2018, but they're all for Microsoft Office. Prior to that, I have one update for Flash that was installed on February 7, 2018 (KB4074595). Updates to Windows on my system exist that are older than that, but they were installed on January 9, 2018 and earlier.

Do I need to clean out Windows Update? I've run the usual DISM and SFC commands, SFC reports no issues.

:)

2. my photos app doesn't seem to be working anymore when I click on the tile

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

This issue might occur if some of the app setting got corrupted.

I suggest you to performing Windows app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the
      Search
      area on the taskbar.

• Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.

• Select Windows store Apps.

• Follow the on screen instruction.

For more information, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 20, 2018
  3. my photos app doesn't seem to be working anymore when I click on the tile

hello there

my photos app doesn't seem to be working anymore when I click on the tile

OP - photos

paulcatling, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Do you have a third-party AV? if so, check that it is compatible. You will not be offered the latest update if it isn't. Even Defender has to declare itself compatible for you to get the latest update. So if you are just using Defender, check the relevant Registry key.

Cumulative Update KB4074588 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.248 - Feb. 13

If the AV checks out OK, try running the Windows Update troubleshooter.

*Arrow Troubleshoot Problems in Windows 10 with Troubleshooters Windows 10 Tutorials

5. MEH
    meh Win User
    No, I gave up on third-party AVs quite awhile ago. Running only WD. I checked for the applicable registry key, and it's set.

I had opened a thread regarding KB4056892, because I didn't receive that update when I thought I should have. I then installed KB4056892 manually, then removed it much later due to a horrendous performance impact.

So my questions are:

1. Would not having KB4056892 block everything else?
    2. Why didn't I get KB4056892 automatically? And since manually removing it, it has not been installed automatically either. (Does it get blocked from reinstallation after being manually removed? Not that Windows would even have tried.)

I went off half-cocked here. I've yet to run the troubleshooter. Sorry, have not slept in days.

6. Same here ,Win10x64,1709 .
    Had to download latest 2 cumulative updates manually , from the MS-site . Installed perfectly however.
    Still wondering why not offered by WUS , the regkey is present ( Quality Compat )
    Only got KB890830 ( monthly update).

pietcorus2, Feb 20, 2018
  7. MEH
    meh Win User
    I ran both WU troubleshooters (which I guess were the same thing, invoked from two different locations). Each time, it said there were pending updates. I opted to apply the "fix", then the troubleshooter said at the end that I had merely checked for pending updates. I guess I'm the crazy one who thinks there's a difference between "there are updates pending" and "there may be updates pending".

Then I ran the WU reset batch file available on this site, and rebooted. Checked for updates, and it found nothing.

Is there some other troubleshooting avenue I should follow, now that I've blown away the list of installed updates and can't even reference that?

I'm guessing the next suggestion will be for me to spend inordinate amounts of time reconstructing my Windows installation by either doing a "refresh" or installing anew.

8. Try3 Win User

meh,

The latest Cumulative update is KB4074588 so I suggest downloading that from the Update catalog in the hope that running it overwrites whatever is causing your update problem. There is no point on pursuing KB4056892 because the latest CU makes it irrelevant.

If that does not work then I suggest running a Repair install. This is effective at fixing problems [other than user account issues] but does not require much effort & it does not have the side-effects of a 'refresh'.

If that does not fix it then check whether or not a new user account has the same problems. If it does not then you can conclude that your existing user account is corrupt. [I am not really expecting this and only mention it because it is about all that is not addressed by my earlier suggestions.]

Denis

9. Bree New Member
    There are two update catalog servers now, the old one in your link requires IE and DirectX, the new one has www. at the start of its address and works in any browser. This link is to the new catalog, with the search for KB4074588 already filled in.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=KB4074588

10. Ok, so I did already ( downloaded from the MS-site and installed , without any problems) .
    If I understand you well ,it should have been fixed now, by installing latest KB4074588 .
    Will see what happens next month...............
    ( thanks for the advice *Wink )

pietcorus2, Feb 20, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    The next regular cumulative update is due on 13th March. If windows update still doesn't work, try the troublshooter again, then consider trying to Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

12. Will see , can use a backup also I guess ( from januari )..............

pietcorus2, Feb 20, 2018
  13. heikwith Win User

Also here the same problems with 1709 64bit with Avast antivirus free.
    So I also installed KB4074588 manually.
    Because doing this, I expected kb4087256 (serv stack febr) to get also.
    But that do not happen, so I installed this one also manually.
    I think I wait for 1803 in the beginning of April.

heikwith, Feb 20, 2018
  14. Glad Im not the only one with WUS skipping updates.
    " I think I wait for 1803 in the beginning of April. "................maybe best choise, indeed !
    Will make some solid backups before starting this operation anyway.

pietcorus2, Feb 20, 2018
  15. heikwith Win User
    Also using Avast ?

heikwith, Feb 20, 2018
Thema:

1. I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore - Similar Threads - seem receiving updates

2. I can't update windows anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't update windows anymore: I can't update Windows anymore and am not sure why. I get this error message everytime. Any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-windows-anymore/a1d97312-c018-4c00-9870-a5fb73d87cdb
  3. I can't update windows anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't update windows anymore: I can't update Windows anymore and am not sure why. I get this error message everytime. Any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-windows-anymore/a1d97312-c018-4c00-9870-a5fb73d87cdb
  4. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.: I recently reset my PC and got a new solid-state drive to replace my old hard drive. I've previously had no connectivity issues except for some stuttering, which is unrelated to my current problem. My Bluetooth doesn't want anything to connect. I've tried this with two pairs...
  5. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.: I recently reset my PC and got a new solid-state drive to replace my old hard drive. I've previously had no connectivity issues except for some stuttering, which is unrelated to my current problem. My Bluetooth doesn't want anything to connect. I've tried this with two pairs...
  6. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows not receiving updates anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not receiving updates anymore: I am using a Windows 10 Pro PC with a prior digital license. Version - 1909 OS Build 18363.1082 Last update i received was .NET Framework update Media creation tool didn't update the PC as it completed its setup, the pc was at same state as before. Tried troubleshooter a...
  8. So i cant receive win10 updates anymore until i uninstall vmware?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So i cant receive win10 updates anymore until i uninstall vmware?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/EmirSc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dwdlr5/so_i_cant_receive_win10_updates_anymore_until_i/
  9. Not receiving updates anymore?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not receiving updates anymore?: I updated to 1903 on 8/14. Since that time I have not received any Win10 updates, except for Defender definitions. Manually checking for updates says I'm up to date. There was a cumulative update released last Tuesday so I thought that would show up in WU, but no. I have ran...
  10. Screenshot doesn't seem to work anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screenshot doesn't seem to work anymore: The last time I was able to take a screenshot was on Nov 30. They used to be stored in Pictures/Screenshots but that has stopped and I have no idea if the Fn + Prt Sc buttons no longer work or if the photos are now being stored elsewhere. I have spent hours trying to fix...