Windows 10: I shut PC down, monitor blacks out, keyboard lights off. PC still on??

Discus and support I shut PC down, monitor blacks out, keyboard lights off. PC still on?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Basically when I shut down my PC via start > shutdown It says these programs need to close first. So they close first... My monitor blacks out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by McSweg, May 30, 2017.

1. McSweg Win User

I shut PC down, monitor blacks out, keyboard lights off. PC still on??

Basically when I shut down my PC via start > shutdown

It says these programs need to close first. So they close first...

My monitor blacks out (normal) keyboard and mouse lights blackout (normal)

PC still on... It stays on for a good 3 minutes or so and this never happened before.

I ran virus scans via window defender, anti malwarebytes and found nothing.

I don't remember changing any recent bios settings for it to do this. It happened out of no where.

I run the latest windows 10 updates.

ALSO I restarted my PC, did NOT login my account and shutdown the PC. It still took 3 minutes or so to fully shutdown. So there is something wrong here.

:)

McSweg, May 30, 2017

2. desktop pc not shutting down.

My desktop pc running latest build of win 10 has suddenly stopped shutting down. When I click on shut down it starts to shut down, monitor goes off, sound system and keyboard light goes off. But pc light and mouse is still on. Moving the mouse and pressing
    power button does nothing. It remains like that until I cut the power. I did restart once....that time it shut down properly then restarted perfectly. Then shut down again, it won't.

SakibLostvalley, May 30, 2017
  3. My HP Elitebook 840 has problems when shutting down.

Yes I have held down the power button for more than 6 seconds. The only way for me to get the fan to stop is to take out the battery. The PC appears to be shut down, but the fan is running and the two buttons on the right side above my keyboard are lit.
    Also there are two corresponding lights on the front left of the PC (below the keyboard) that stay lit. So I guess it the PC still is running, with the Power Button shut down (not lit).

Charles Bradish, May 30, 2017
  4. I shut PC down, monitor blacks out, keyboard lights off. PC still on??

Hi McSweg.

To see if this is tied to Windows Fast Startup processing, the next time you shutdown hold the shift key down and then click shutdown.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 30, 2017
  5. badrobot Win User
    Run chkdsk /f /r C: There's a chance it's a drive error.

badrobot, May 30, 2017
  6. McSweg Win User
    Thanks for the reply! When I used shift it had shutdown instantly. I don't really want to hold shift every time I shut my PC off.

McSweg, May 30, 2017
  7. McSweg Win User
    I have a SSD and a HDD how would I check both?
    What is /f and what is /r?

McSweg, May 30, 2017
  8. badrobot Win User

Fix and repair. If you can boot on one of the disk, then you can just do it there by right clicking on the other drive...Properties>>>Tools>>>Error-checking

badrobot, May 30, 2017
  9. Caledon Ken, May 30, 2017
  10. McSweg Win User
    I've always had fastboot on. Why is it all of a sudden making my PC take forever to turn off?

McSweg, May 31, 2017
  11. Redbatman Win User
    Fastboot is known to cause issues, even when you shutdown your computer it doesn't fully shutdown it's sort of in a hybrid shutdown. Here is a topic on it.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode

Redbatman, May 31, 2017
  12. I've seen threads where the disk is a problem so badrobot's suggestion of running chkdsk would drive out any concerns there.

If you want, just run chkdsk with no switches (/r or /f) and it will simply scan and report.

Not sure why now. I don't think you mentioned what version of Windows you are on. Not that it should matter but there are definitely issues being driven out with the Creator Update, 1703.

Caledon Ken, May 31, 2017
  13. badrobot Win User

I have multiple drives on my PCs and this issue happens to me often. Chkdsk always fix it for me.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I shut PC down, monitor blacks out, keyboard lights off. PC still on?? - Similar Threads - shut down monitor

2. PC shuts off, bsod and black screens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC shuts off, bsod and black screens: I have a issue with my pc shutting off consistently during games. I have replaced my psu thinking it was the issue, that didn't help. Now I'm thinking it might be my gpu. I switched the gpu out for a older one I have and had no issues. When I put my current gpu back in, the...
  3. Monitor shuts down but PC stays on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor shuts down but PC stays on: For about a week now my monitor will shut down, but the PC stays on. The only thing I can do is hard shut down. I do not get a blue screen but there is a minidump file when it happens. Please advise....
  4. Monitor shuts down but PC stays on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor shuts down but PC stays on: For about a week now my monitor will shut down, but the PC stays on. The only thing I can do is hard shut down. I do not get a blue screen but there is a minidump file when it happens. Please advise....
  5. Pc fans and lights still on after shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc fans and lights still on after shut down: Hi So I am having a problem with my pc where when i shut it down my fans and lights are still on and the only thing I am able to do is hold down my power button till it turns off....
  6. MONITOR, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, TURNS OFF BUT PC IS STILL ON HELP!!!!!

MONITOR, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, TURNS OFF BUT PC IS STILL ON HELP!!!!!: So basically whats happening is that my keyboard, mouse, monitor shuts off and goes black but the pc is still on, ive tried everything in a way to the point where im about to give up on it. ive tried turning NEVER on power plans to changing power plans it hasnt done nothing...
  7. Pc shuts down black screen

Pc shuts down black screen: Hi sometimes when I start a demanding game which my pc should handle my pc suddenly shuts down with an black screen and won‘t start again for the next 15min. It isn‘t a overheating problem of the graphicscard 1080 or my cpu 6700k I am pretty sure because everytime the...
  8. PC is shutting down

PC is shutting down: My pc is shutting down many times a day and I go to reliability monitor and it says "hardware error" my problem event name is LiveKernalEvent and the code is 141, The locale ID is 1033. every time i open a video game it takes about 2 minutes then it shuts down, please help....
  9. Second monitor not shutting off with shut down.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second monitor not shutting off with shut down.: Hello, First monitor : Asus PG27AQ via DisplayPort Second monitor : BenQ V2400W via HDMI Video card : Asus NVidia GTX 1080 OS : Windows 10 Pro 64 On Power down, the first monitor (ASUS) will shut off, but the second (BenQ) will not. Thank you for your assistance....
  10. PC is not shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is not shutting down: i have windows 10 and hp elitbook 8460p laptop but when i am clicking on shutdown or hibernate the screen goes black and black forever. until my laptop battery come empty, i also changed windows but now in this windows first some times it shut down, but now it is also not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my PC screen blue black in keyboard light