Windows 10: I suspect my computer is remotelly controlled

Discus and support I suspect my computer is remotelly controlled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, I've lately been concerned about a malware/spyware or some other security breach on my computer. Let me explain... A month or so back I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fatherb, Jan 14, 2017.

1. fatherb Win User

I suspect my computer is remotelly controlled

Hi all,

I've lately been concerned about a malware/spyware or some other security breach on my computer. Let me explain...

A month or so back I noticed that on several occasions the mouse started moving on itselft when I was not looking at the screen - not always, but when it happened the movements did not seem random and some of the apps were also being closed. As soon as I looked at the screen the movement ended.

I don't have a light turning on when the camera is active, but the first thing that came to my mind was that somebody hacked the computer and controles it remotely when nobody is using the comp - hence the need for camera use. I'm using touchpad mouse, so I ecluded the possibility that exteral mouse would be moving.

As a precaution I reinstalled Windows and bough new virus protection (BitDefender).
    After that it was OK, until yesterday when I again noticed the same - mouse moving, closing my sticky notes and then stopping when I looked at the screen and wanted to shoot a video.

In hindsight it would be best to disconnect the WiFi adapter, but at the moment it didn't occur to me.
    Now I don't really want to use that comp and check things again with WiFi on.

Am I being paranoid or does this explanation makes sense?
    If so, what can I do?

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Marc

:)

fatherb, Jan 14, 2017

2. I suspect I have a virus or malware on my computer , a Quick Scan option says all is fine but a full scan did not complete in 18 hours. an offline scan said no problems. Help

The message you encountered with your web browser was a scam...see
    Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams for more
    information about how these scams work.

Since you acted quickly enough, you may not have been subject to any malware infection.

If Windows Defender indicated no detections found during the Quick Scan and there are no items listed in quarantined upon completion, that typically means Defender completed it's scan and determined all scanned files were not malware related. If is not unusual
    for Defender (or any other security software) to suspect and warn about possible threats during a scan but later determine the file(s) were not an actual confirmed threat(s) upon completion.

It is not uncommon for some security scans to take many hours to complete. There are varying reasons for the length of time to complete a Full Scan which in most cases is not necessary since a
    Quick Scan is the recommended scanning option.

As a precaution, I would recommend performing scans with any (or a combination) of the following...

You can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an

Online Virus Scan
    .....ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

quietman7 - MVP, Jan 14, 2017
  3. I suspect I have a virus or malware on my computer , a Quick Scan option says all is fine but a full scan did not complete in 18 hours. an offline scan said no problems. Help

I was searching the web for information and suddenly a red box flashed on the screen and a voice said that my computer was in danger. I quickly shut down the machine completely. I then started it up again and went into Windows 10 defender. It said I was
    protected. I did a quick scan and this said all was fine and protected. To be sure I did a Full Scan - but 18 hours later it was still trying to finish. I checked all my settings - everything was turned on. While the full scan was still running I tried Windows
    defender offline. This then shut down the computer and it came back on showing the Window offline box running. This finished I restarted the computer and it said all was well. Then just to be sure I started the full scan again. This is now 2 hours in and has
    done a small percentage of the scale. The note at the bottom says Preliminary scan results show malicious potentially unwanted software might exist on your system - wait until full scan ends for details.

However other research says 2 hours should be long enough for a full scan.

Should I still be worried?

Help please

WoodpeckerZA, Jan 14, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Jan 14, 2017
  5. For starters duct tape camera, well it does not have to be a duct tape, just cover it.
    Even Mark Zuckerberg does it, because he knows, that is the only way to block it.

In the meantime you should be able to see, if something is going on, note, that microphone can be still used, so you should be quiet, when "spying" on your computer. Probable leave a camera recording and leave the room.

Common malware scanners might not detect generic hacker tools, they are used one time only.
    It all depends, how skilled the hacker is and if you are a real target or just a random victim.

You can download MC.bat and run it as admin, it will remove all startup items and reset policies.
    It will also perform some cleanup and in the end it will open some webpages with malware scanners.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I suspect my computer is remotelly controlled - Similar Threads - suspect computer remotelly

2. I am suspecting a hacker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am suspecting a hacker: I suspect a hacker is sniffing around my system. I don't have virtual machines installed on my system, and also, I don't have Hyver-V checked in my windows features. I noticed I keep seeing VmmemCmZygote and Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service and other files that...
  3. I am suspecting a hacker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am suspecting a hacker: I suspect a hacker is sniffing around my system. I don't have virtual machines installed on my system, and also, I don't have Hyver-V checked in my windows features. I noticed I keep seeing VmmemCmZygote and Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service and other files that...
  4. I suspect I have a corrupted user profile on my computer. That profile is connected to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I suspect I have a corrupted user profile on my computer. That profile is connected to a...: I suspect that I have a corrupted user profile. I don't notice anything wrong BUT I have trouble with a certain video game running and all signs point to it being due to a corrupted file on my user profile it's self. This profile is connected to my Microsoft account, and when...
  5. I suspect I have a corrupted user profile on my computer. That profile is connected to a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I suspect I have a corrupted user profile on my computer. That profile is connected to a...: I suspect that I have a corrupted user profile. I don't notice anything wrong BUT I have trouble with a certain video game running and all signs point to it being due to a corrupted file on my user profile it's self. This profile is connected to my Microsoft account, and when...
  6. I suspect I have a corrupted user profile on my computer. That profile is connected to a...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Can I controll my old computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I controll my old computer: HiCan I controll my old windows computer what have been throwed away from my new computer? Example maybe if I put my old windows account to this computer etccc...
  8. Suspected scam, computer locked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspected scam, computer locked: A "Windows Defender" window popped up with a support #. My dad called and got hooked for a $300 minimum contract supposedly. His laptop is now locked, they say until he pays. It was a company called Dialogic Support Inc saying they have a support contract with Microsoft. How...
  9. I am Suspecting that a hacker has taken control of my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am Suspecting that a hacker has taken control of my PC: This expectation has an evidence against it. First of all My Windows defender was disabled by the red error message " this setting is managed by your administrator". I thought that the way to fix this is to edit the registry keysIn registry i moved to >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >...
  10. Computer Shutting Off - Suspected Overheating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Shutting Off - Suspected Overheating: So I recently updated Windows 10 to the latest update, my Intel graphics card, as well as my NVIDIA graphics card the latter was 22 months out of date. I now seem to have problems with the system shutting down suddenly. I am unsure of the reason - I suspect it may be...