Windows 10: I think HP Laptop is a lemon, would Edge, Firefox, or Chrome help it?

Discus and support I think HP Laptop is a lemon, would Edge, Firefox, or Chrome help it? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; New, no good...back to HP...still has issues...call on phone, HP does remote "fixes", still lots of issues. I often get "IE is not responding", HP... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ImLost, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ImLost Win User

I think HP Laptop is a lemon, would Edge, Firefox, or Chrome help it?

New, no good...back to HP...still has issues...call on phone, HP does remote "fixes", still lots of issues.
    I often get "IE is not responding", HP said go to one of those others because "IE is no longer supported by msoft".

About 2 1/2 minutes to start, re-start takes a minute.....Longer. Then often wait while the homepage fills in. HP says that's "normal for a standard (not solid-state) hard drive". Freezes, freezes during startup. Keystrokes wont appear when typing. This is tip of iceberg, sorry to say I'm probably out $600, as the hammer is coming out soon, just too much aggravation.

Had Comcast here, both inside and outside a few times, checking/fixing/replacing.
    But....as I said, is it worth a shot in the dark to try a different browser?

:)

ImLost, Mar 1, 2016

2. CNN official site videos won't play

Hi

There is no error message, but the videos don't load,

only I'm experiencing this, it's a new laptop an HP Pavilion x360,

All the CNN official site videos work on Firefox, but the videos are not clear, NBC official site videos won't load on all three search engines. (Microsoft edge, Google Chrome, and Firefox) Youtube works well.

Do you think perhaps it’s a problem with my laptop?

Thanks

Essenceof of Happiness, Mar 1, 2016
  3. PDFs Will Not Display in Browsers

This did not work.

I might be mistaken, but I think that fix would only apply to IE because Chrome, Firefox, and Edge no longer use plugins like Reader.

SoundofButthurt, Mar 1, 2016
  4. I think HP Laptop is a lemon, would Edge, Firefox, or Chrome help it?

It never hurts to try a different browser, but have you tried a clean install on the system? I worked for HP for a few years and still buy their laptops personally. The first thing I do is back up the SWSETUP directory and then make recovery discs. Once that's done, I wipe the drive and install a clean version of the OS.

DeaconFrost, Mar 1, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    ..............But....as I said, is it worth a shot in the dark to try a different browser? .............................

Why not just try it and see for yourself.
    Others will say " this works for me ", " That works for me ".
    Those are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether it works for your, and the only way to find out is to try it.
    Please bear in mind that IE may not be the culprit. There could be something else that causes the problem.

davidhk, Mar 1, 2016
  6. ImLost Win User
    When it came back from HP, this is what it said:

REPAIRED: (The problem was duplicated during full diagnostics)
    That makes it sound like I had one problem, I sent along a list of 19 issues....the ones I remembered to write down and keep track of when they happened.

CABLES: Cable Defective (To Any Internal Component): Replaced Defective Cables
    POWER SUPPLY: Electrical Failure: Replaced Power Supply
    SOFTWARE: Corrupt OS: Reload Operating System from Media
    KEYBOARD: Key Not Responding: Replaced Keyboard

Many of same issues still, and even same day after telephone/remote diagnostics after that.

I think I'm at the end of my rope on this, can't take it any more. Was....literally....going to bring it in the garage and just take a hammer to it and trash it...er...recycle it, of course. But, I'm gonna give it to nephew to do with it what he wants, he's kind of a semi-techie type, maybe things will somehow work out better for him with things I just cannot figure out.

On that note, any recommendations based on experiences, for a different brand laptop? I know, bad things can happen to any of them. Good customer service, easy user-friendly manuals....anything, start somewhere besides reading reviews on Amazon.

ImLost, Mar 2, 2016
  7. snoopy51 Win User
    You have too many problems in your laptop!

The best bet is take it to a local PC repair shop and let them help you!
    Tell them it is under warranty so they can work with HP to resolve the issues.
    You may very well have a lemon!

snoopy51, Mar 2, 2016
  8. ImLost Win User

Decided, for now, to go back to using crappy (which was why I bought new one) previous laptop. I felt a calm come over me knowing this ordeal is over, even though I lost.

I've never tried a regular cable type connection, want to see how that is. Is it an Ethernet cable or a USB cable that I use to connect the laptop to the router? Maximum length before it might decrease performance?

ImLost, Mar 2, 2016
  9. It is an ethernet cable, and the length depends a lot on the cable itself, but anything under 100 ft should be fine on any type of ethernet cable.

DeaconFrost, Mar 2, 2016
  10. dafanman Win User
    so many possible causes there,

It has been my experience that windows computer problems break down into the following categories, hardware, software, internet or a combination thereof.

I would be really interested in taking a look at your setup, which I can do remotely.... if interested give me a shout *Cool

dafanman, Mar 5, 2016
  11. I have several Toshiba Laptops and have had no trouble at all with them,
    So my personal choice any model of these but I always go for their Satellite range
    My daughter for her business has 24 of them in her different shops and in the 2 years she has had them not one problem has appeared all upgraded to 10 from 8.1

Also they are all on WI-FI one f the reason being she can move from one part of shop to another without having to shut down or lose her signal.
    Easy to set up and use and any updates that are needed on BIOS or system Toshiba does them remotely, never had to use their customer service at all in the 2 years we have used them

One final note all are using the new Edge Browser and Windows Mal App

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    To ImLost,
    The above suggestion given by snoopy51 is the best approach under the circumstances.
    If the cost of repair is too much, perhaps it's best to buy a new one from a reputable retail store.
    You probably do have a "lemon".

davidhk, Mar 5, 2016
  13. ImLost Win User

It's 2:30 am, just got done on "chat" with HP. Told the story, etc., said I'd give it one more shot. I started (trying) to use it again lately.....and the longer I do, more of the same problems as before come back....and even a couple of new ones.

What a company.....I was one week past their return policy, and with all the problems, they wouldn't take this lemon back. The guy on chat just said he'd have someone else contact me......a 'case manager'...hoo-wee, that sounds technical. Someone on some HP support forum asked me about the situation last week, but I said forget it, at the end of my rope with this thing, bfore giving it away and/or smashing it up. But.....gonna give it one more shot I guess.

They'll probably end up with one (more) disgruntled permanent ex-customer that will never touch HP again. Was it considered kind of the wrong way to go when I bought it direct from HP? I assumed that was the best.

ImLost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I think HP Laptop is a lemon, would Edge, Firefox, or Chrome help it? - Similar Threads - Laptop lemon Edge

2. No Camera Access in Doxy.me in Edge, Chrome or Firefox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Camera Access in Doxy.me in Edge, Chrome or Firefox: Doxy.me is a website for telemedicine. It's based on visual and aural interconnection. However, whenever I try to use it, whether on Edge, Firefox or Chrome, I'm told that camera access is denied. I'm using the automatically updated latest version of Windows 10 and the latest...
  3. Chrome and Firefox browsers close, Edge unaffected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome and Firefox browsers close, Edge unaffected: Directly following Microsoft Defender Antivirus cloud protection's gathering of additional security intelligence, both Firefox and Chrome browsers close.This happens multiple times a day, and is a recurring issue that has been going on for months.Edge is unaffected, and "just...
  4. Chrome and Firefox browsers close, Edge unaffected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome and Firefox browsers close, Edge unaffected: Directly following Microsoft Defender Antivirus cloud protection's gathering of additional security intelligence, both Firefox and Chrome browsers close.This happens multiple times a day, and is a recurring issue that has been going on for months.Edge is unaffected, and "just...
  5. FTP not working in Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    FTP not working in Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser: [ATTACH]If FTP is not working in your Chrome, Firefox or Edge browser on Windows PC, and you are looking for resolution, then you have come to the right place. We decided to write this post since we received emails asking us why FTP was not working in their browser. You...
  6. Images not loading in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge [Fixed]

in Windows 10 News
    Images not loading in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge [Fixed]: [ATTACH]If images are not loading in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge browser on your computer, here is how you can get rid of the problem. Several reasons can cause this issue, and this article explains almost all the possible solutions so that you can get...
  7. Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox: On my pc browsers keep on freezing again and again , I have cleared all the cache and removed all the data from browsers by resetting them . when browsers freeze other applications on pc work fine...
  8. Sound works in Firefox but not Chrome, Brave, Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound works in Firefox but not Chrome, Brave, Edge: I am running Update 20H2 19042.867. After the update I think the sound stop working. I don't know why it works in Firefox. I even went to sound settings and those other 3 browers don't even pop up. Tried restarting computer. Anyone have any suggestions? submitted by...
  9. Edge, Firefox or Chrome...which is best.

in Browsers and Email
    Edge, Firefox or Chrome...which is best.: I'm having issues with both Firefox and MS Edge and I'm wondering if Chrome would be a better choice and if so would I be able to import my FF Favorites to Chrome? Thanks in advance for your help. 83073
  10. Links work in Edge, but not in Chrome or Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Links work in Edge, but not in Chrome or Firefox: I sometimes get this sort of error in firefox and chrome Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.goodsync.com. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments ... blah blah blah blah blah But when I open the...