Windows 10: I think I fried my PSU

Discus and support I think I fried my PSU in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I messed around with the loop on my rig this morning. after I was done, I took the pc to my room and hooked everything up, everything was fine until it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by metalglasses, Jan 29, 2018.

1. I think I fried my PSU

I messed around with the loop on my rig this morning. after I was done, I took the pc to my room and hooked everything up, everything was fine until it suddenly shut down completely. There is still some life on the motherboard (lights when I turn on the psu) but when I turn the pc on now, I hear a slight click or something of the like coming from the psu.

For now, I am going to leave the case open and let it sit for a few days.

:)

metalglasses, Jan 29, 2018
  2. Jadwa Win User

I think I l've fried something in my PC

Did not work just did the exact same thing. Althogh I did leave the spinnig dots going for atleast 3 hours before trying and they disappeard and was just a black screen.

Jadwa, Jan 29, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    I think I l've fried something in my PC

Is the screen black with spinning circles?

If so, try this:

• Unplug all USB devices, especially a USB receiver for a wireless mouse or keyboard
    • Press and hold the power button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut down
    • Restart your system, see if it boots properly
    • Plug back in any USB devices you removed earlier

DaveM121, Jan 29, 2018
  4. I think I fried my PSU

Did actual liquid leak onto the mobo and/or other components?

PolarNettles, Jan 29, 2018
  5. I had paper towels and a rag as soon as I saw leaks, a drip on the graphics when I was running only psu to fill up loop.

Right now, when I put in the psu tester (basically the paper clip trick, just nicer looking) nothing but a small click from the psu. when I had it connected to the mobo, the lights would be on like there was nothing wrong until I press the power button and then nothing.

metalglasses, Jan 30, 2018
  6. Unless liquid got into the PSU I find it hard to believe that it would get damaged by drips on the GPU. The PSU should have short-circuit protection on all the rails. But maybe the manufacturer cut some corners there.

Did the PSU tester work on this unit before?

PolarNettles, Jan 30, 2018
  7. clam1952 Win User
    I've seen a couple of cheap PSU's blow regulator chips due to shorts on the motherboard, back when I use to repair systems, typical would be 12 volt dead but 5 volt still live, as you say some cut corners or the short circuit protection doesn't actually work.

clam1952, Jan 30, 2018
  8. I think I fried my PSU

When I put in the paper clip, when I flip the switch, I hear a click and dead

When I plug it into the mobo, normal lights would turn on like normal until I power it on, then it goes dead.

I am going to let it sit for a day or two.

9. Steve C Win User
    Connect a simple single load to the PSU e.g. a disk drive then test it again. If the paper clip test still fails then you have a faulty PSU and all you can do is try a new one. Check the warranty on the PSU some some (e.g. EVGA) have long warranty periods.

Steve C, Jan 30, 2018
  10. I made a quick video of two situations;
    1. When everything is plugged
    2. The paperclip trick
    Dropbox - problems.m4v

11. clam1952 Win User
    May of course be nothing to do with the leak but just a coincidence that the PSU decided to packup.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I think I fried my PSU

1. I think I fried my PSU - Similar Threads - fried PSU

2. I used media creation windows 10 setup and it fried my USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I used media creation windows 10 setup and it fried my USB?: Hello,So I used the media creation tool to install the Windows 10 setup on my USB drive and it doesn't show up on my This PC devices and drives but it does on my Device Manager. I can't format it and reinstall it. I don't want to buy a new USB, what do I do?...
  3. I used media creation windows 10 setup and it fried my USB?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I used media creation windows 10 setup and it fried my USB?: Hello,So I used the media creation tool to install the Windows 10 setup on my USB drive and it doesn't show up on my This PC devices and drives but it does on my Device Manager. I can't format it and reinstall it. I don't want to buy a new USB, what do I do?...
  4. I used media creation windows 10 setup and it fried my USB?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License,...: Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License, bought directly from MicrosoftRetail Code and after a power surge and fixing everything that got fried I'm told I have to use my Home key = Look I paid alot of money for my Retail Code,...
  6. Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License,...

Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License,...: Power Surge Fried my Stuff PC include and Microsoft deactivated my Windows 11 Pro License, bought directly from MicrosoftRetail Code and after a power surge and fixing everything that got fried I'm told I have to use my Home key = Look I paid alot of money for my Retail Code,...
  7. Can this be saved or is my pc fried

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can this be saved or is my pc fried: Icon came up while I was using my pc that said “Hard drive repair needed” so I click on it and it goes through the repair processing once it’s finished screen just went black. I tried troubleshooting, couldn’t repair itself. I typed a few different commands into command...
  8. Can this be saved or is my pc fried

Can this be saved or is my pc fried: Icon came up while I was using my pc that said “Hard drive repair needed” so I click on it and it goes through the repair processing once it’s finished screen just went black. I tried troubleshooting, couldn’t repair itself. I typed a few different commands into command...
  9. Can Windows 10 fry an SSD SATA drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows 10 fry an SSD SATA drive?: I have been repairing computers for over 25 years and have seen a lot. Although this is anecdotal, I believe the Windows 10 Pro Reset and clean routine killed my Inland SSD SATA 1TB drive. I installed this drive about two years ago and it was never treated harshly. It was...
  10. Can Windows 10 fry an SSD SATA drive?

Can Windows 10 fry an SSD SATA drive?: I have been repairing computers for over 25 years and have seen a lot. Although this is anecdotal, I believe the Windows 10 Pro Reset and clean routine killed my Inland SSD SATA 1TB drive. I installed this drive about two years ago and it was never treated harshly. It was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. coincidience that pwoersupply fried when plugging something in