Windows 10: I think I got blindsided by a recent Macrium Reflect upgrade

Discus and support I think I got blindsided by a recent Macrium Reflect upgrade in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; As I relate in my Windows Enterprise Desktop blog post for today, it looks like a recent Macrium Reflect Upgrade Cancels Backup Schedules. Can anybody... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by EdTittel, Mar 27, 2018.

1. EdTittel Win User

I think I got blindsided by a recent Macrium Reflect upgrade

As I relate in my Windows Enterprise Desktop blog post for today, it looks like a recent Macrium Reflect Upgrade Cancels Backup Schedules. Can anybody else confirm, deny, or explain how it is that my Reflect backup schedules were all canceled without my knowledge or active participation in that change of settings? I'm surprised, and more than a little befuddled by this occurrence.
    Thanks in advance for your responses/reactions to this discovery on my part, which was accidental and fortuitous.
    --Ed--

:)

EdTittel, Mar 27, 2018

2. Windows 10 creator update not working

Hi Greg! Glad to see someone here recommending Macrium Reflect. Here's a fairly new feature that has been added toMacrium. I love this feature. I don't have to find my Macrium rescue CD! Let me know what you think friend!

Adding a boot menu option for system Image recovery - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

PS I love my Macrium Reflect! I've been a Macrium user for several years!

Gary!

garybear89, Mar 27, 2018
  3. Failure to install KB4015438

awesome I made your day I am happy to read that.I was very pleased of your article very informative as your advice was easy to agree to being that its 100% correct.

I also down loaded Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect is a Free and Easy To Use Backup Utility

A lot of people will be upgrading to Windows 7 from XP over the next few months, and backing up your data is a crucial step in the process. Today we take a look at Macrium Reflect Free Edition, which is an easy to use backup utility
    that should help make the process easier.

again thank you for your reply I will follow your ideas very much similar to old school blokes way of thinking

regards

jeffrey OBrien

{JeffreyOBrien}, Mar 27, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

That is common acronis does the same thing it's important to check previously done will restore as they often change the structure

Samuria, Mar 27, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    That really is not the case for Macrium Reflect Free. It is very backwards compatible. It certainly restores old V6 images with no issue.

Ed's post is about schedule management not the actual backup itself.

cereberus, Mar 27, 2018
  6. I haven't checked the Macrium support forms, but is this a known problem ?

storageman, Mar 27, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Can't find any mention of it there, and this has never happened to me before. That's why I'm asking here. Could be just a one-time hiccup, but now I know to keep an eye on it!
    Thanks for the replies @storageman, @cereberus, @Samuria.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 27, 2018
  8. Callender Win User

Can't confirm as I don't use scheduled backups in Macrium. However I've ha similar issues with configuration/ settings files being overwriten when program updates are applied. In such cases I make sure that I store backups of the affected files/ folders so that they can be restored:

I think I got blindsided by a recent Macrium Reflect upgrade [​IMG]

Test this backup:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\Reflect - contains .xml file used to define scheduled backups.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tasks - contains Reflect scheduled task but might as well backup everything.

Manual backup solution: SimplySync Backup

If you can mount a system image backup try copying files from the suggested locations.

Callender, Mar 27, 2018
  9. Macrium 7 switched to using the new TaskScheduler2 (or whatever it may be called) API introduced with Windows
    Vista. This probably invalidated all your existing backup tasks. It's quite regrettable that the Macrium installer
    didn't detect that and at least notify. I'm pretty sure there's something about that in the Release Notes, but perhaps
    I disremember. Going from Macrium 6 to 7 is something more than just an "update".

kreemoweet, Mar 29, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Aha! Thanks. I knew there had to be a good reason for this. Thanks for sharing your insight here. Much-appreciated!
    It goes all the way back to 11/10/2017, where this entry occurs in the Macrium Reflect v7 release notes
    I didn't really understand that this will "kill" existing scheduled tasks, but this does seem to be the upshot of that change.
    Thanks again,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 29, 2018
  11. Word Man Win User
    Nor did I, Ed, given the wording about not needing to take action. Fortunately for me, I never took any action and never saw a hitch in scheduled backups. [Or, I did and simply forgot *Zip]

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I think I got blindsided by a recent Macrium Reflect upgrade - Similar Threads - got blindsided recent

2. Simple Macrium Reflect question - I think

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Simple Macrium Reflect question - I think: I can't get logged onto the Macrium support forum so hopefully somebody here can help me with this annoying but trivial question. I have created shortcuts for my various backup routines but when I click on one of these it does run but nothing appears on the desktop to...
  3. Macrium Reflect FAILED

Macrium Reflect FAILED: Whenever I try to restore a Macrium Reflect image, it says: Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem: Dump file 'C:\reflectv6.1-871-x64-0.dmp was created. Please email this file to L: support@macrium.com What free image programs WORK in Windows 10? 26818
  4. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  5. Macrium Reflect Difficulties

Macrium Reflect Difficulties: Hi all I've got an issue with imaging using Macrium Reflect Free. I'm running a dual boot system using Bootcamp with Windows 7 & 10 on two primary partitions on my iMac 24. Both work perfectly but if I run Macrium Reflect on either one of the two OS's, the Windows 10...
  6. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  7. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  8. Creators upgrade disables Macrium Reflect

Creators upgrade disables Macrium Reflect: I did the early upgrade to the Creators version, V1703, OS Build 15063.13. I now cannot run my registered (paid version) of Macrium Reflect V6. I get a message that my license key cannot be used as its already used. However, the Macricum procedure to deactivate a key is...
  9. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........
  10. Macrium Reflect errors.

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect errors.: Okay so I booted up my computer today and looked in the event log and noticed some errors from Macrium Reflect . Event ID 7000. The MacriumService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely...