Windows 10: I think I was scammed by a tech support company. I let them remotely

Discus and support I think I was scammed by a tech support company. I let them remotely in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; They ran a command prompt dir/s scan with letters in red. I was told there were many errors and on the bottom line was a line that says my computer was... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by txstoby, Jul 10, 2016.

1. txstoby Win User

I think I was scammed by a tech support company. I let them remotely

They ran a command prompt dir/s scan with letters in red. I was told there were many errors and on the bottom line was a line that says my computer was hacked by the koobface virus.
    They told me it would cost $300 to repair so I thought it was a scam. I broke the network connection and hung up the phone.
    I then ran a command prompt scan with admin rights, the same dir/s scan and saw no warning about the koobface virus..
    I then noticed that they had placed two new programs on my computer, Supremo and Show my computer.
    I went to add/remove programs and neither were listed.
    So thinking they were a virus I jut deleted them and deleted the recycle folder.
    I wonder how much of a problem that I caused.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

txstoby, Jul 10, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

I think I have been scammed by a company that is claiming to be Microsoft Tech support.

Do not respond to any email that you get saying you need to do something.

Run Windows Defender and MalwareBytes if they say things are wrong with your computer.

Do not click on any of the places in email that say click here. Look at the email address of the sender and it may be from another country.

I learned a long time ago. I am almost 83 and started in PCs with a model one Radio Shack which was called a Trash 80. I had been working with main frame computers before that.

lacrumb, Jul 10, 2016
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    I think I have been scammed by a company that is claiming to be Microsoft Tech support.

Microsoft will never contact you unsolicited by any means. Yes, you should
    contact your financial institution, or credit card co.
    as soon as possible. Tell them you were scammed by a phony tech support company. They'll stop payment, remove the charges from your acct., or whatever they need to do.

It'd be best to have someone do a clean install of Windows for you. You don't ever need to renew any Windows registration.

You can report them, after you get the rest taken care of.

FTC Complaint Assistant

Report a technical support scam to Microsoft

How to Report the Microsoft phone scam

Tech Support Scams – Help & Resource Page

Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams

CarolLJ, Jul 10, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

I would start by doing some online scans provided by several known av vendors (eset and such). I would also run some antimalware software (MBAM, Adwcleaner, etc).

Important: Before running the adware cleaner, you should run Rkill by Grimler, (you must run it with ADMIN RIGHTS), but don't reboot after running it. Here is an alternative version for those malware that tries to kill it.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 10, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    I know you don't want to hear this, but if someone had access to your computer, they could have done anything. Your best bet is to wipe the drive and re-install clean.

To quote a favorite movie:

Corporal Hicks: I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.
    [looks to Ripley]
    Corporal Hicks: It's the only way to be sure.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    How did he did he remote into your computer, did you install a program for him - If you did goto add remove programs and remove TeamViewer

Another way to remote is buy sending him an email with remote assistance,

sml156, Jul 10, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Nothing to add, just to say that I completely agree. Either restore a recent system image or clean install.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I think I was scammed by a tech support company. I let them remotely - Similar Threads - was scammed tech

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  4. I think I'm a victim of Tech support scam. What should I do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I think I'm a victim of Tech support scam. What should I do?: I think I'm a victim of Tech support scam. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-think-im-a-victim-of-tech-support-scam-what/c6a2f669-5746-4529-8046-b3c27aea752e
  5. I think I was scammed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I think I was scammed.: I think I was scammed. Is NextWeb a tech affiliate of Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-think-i-was-scammed/6fb8f29a-fd21-45a4-ad9a-ce5d69e66742
  6. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  7. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  8. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  9. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Hello, I received a call which turns out to be the Www.support.me scam I suspected it was something bogus but played along (making him repeat everything a number o times) until reaching the point where he wanted me to connect to www.support.me. At which point he got...
  10. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Is myphonesupport a scam? Or are they parteners with microsoft? Made no payments to them and did not allow remote connection. Just want to make sure I talked to safe people....