Windows 10: I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise?

Discus and support I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Last night I tried to reset Windows 10, by using the recovery feature in the settings. I saved some of the files onto a USB stick (just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jamieh1989, Jul 9, 2016.

1. I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise?

Hi everyone,

Last night I tried to reset Windows 10, by using the recovery feature in the settings. I saved some of the files onto a USB stick (just word documents and excel files that I wanted to keep). The reset process was taking ages, it got up to 14% within a couple of hours and then I went to bed and left it going.

I woke up this morning and it had froze, it was still on 14% and was doing nothing, I knew I had no choice but to turn the laptop off and hope it would just either carry on or at least let me go back to Windows 10 as it originally was, but I was wrong.

When I turn on the laptop it just keeps restarting and restarting and nothing happens. I tried the HDD on a different laptop and it comes up with "No operating system found" so now I'm guessing I've lost Windows 10 and will have to purchase it again?

That's one of the problems, the other problem is that I saved those files I wanted to kep on USB, but when i try to open hem on my other laptop they are .PFILES? Protected files? How can I open them or are they corrupt now as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

jamieh1989, Jul 9, 2016
  2. jon tighe Win User

Windows 10 Installation

This problem has been rectified. I simply rebooted the PC and it loaded Windows 10. However I do have another question.

Can somebody give me a detailed step by step explanation of how to undo/delete symbolic links. I have an SSD for my OS and a 1TB HDD for "Files and Folders". with symbolic links to My Docs, My Videos, My Pics etc which I would now like to get rid of as I
    think Windows 10 has something similar called "Quick Access".

Jon

jon tighe, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Windows 10 migration to new SSD

Hello,

Sorry about continuing someone else question but that is exactly I need,

I have a HP laptop with Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.

I have purchased a new SSD and I want to move the OS to new SSD from old HDD.

the HDD has partition size of 450GB where OS is installed and SSD is 256GB.

Now sure how to proceed on this,

Another Concern is that I don't have the product key for windows so don't want to reinstall OS.

Regards,

Amit

AmitBhisikar, Jul 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise?

I'm not familiar with .pfiles, so can't help there.

Create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

add Kyhi's recovery drive to it (read my quote in the middle of the OP in this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot into Kyhi's recovery drive, run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows boot problems. See if that fixes the booting problem. If it doesn't, then you are probably going to have to clean install Windows 10 by running setup.exe from the USB flash drive when booted into Kyhi's recovery with it. Here's some more tips on doing a clean install - the only difference is booting into Kyhi's recovery drive first and running setup.exe from the same USB flash drive to get Windows setup started:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Thanks for your time, appreciate it. I'm currently creating The Windows 10 installation flash drive, I've had a look at the next step, do I need a seperate flash drive for Kyhi's step?

jamieh1989, Jul 9, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. Just download the ISO file for it, Mount the ISO file to get a virtual drive then copy the boot.wim file over.

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Have a look at this link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...4-d3ed79c918f9

topgundcp, Jul 9, 2016
  8. I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Fixing the windows boot didn't work but after following your instructions I was able to install Windows 10 again, thank you so much for your help.

*Biggrin

jamieh1989, Jul 14, 2016
  9. jamieh1989, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise?

1. I think Windows 10 OS has been deleted from HDD, can someone advise? - Similar Threads - has been deleted

2. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  3. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  4. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?: Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in...
  6. How can I know if a browser has been used if history has been deleted?

in Browsers and Email
    How can I know if a browser has been used if history has been deleted?: As a parent, I would like to know if my teen son is once again cheating and bypassing parental controls. Im using Microsoft Family Safety, I wonder if therere ways to bypass it. If you delete browsing history on a browser (such as Chrome, Firerox etc) and from the cloud, how...
  7. How can I know if a browser has been used if history has been deleted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I know if a browser has been used if history has been deleted?: As a parent, I would like to know if my teen son is once again cheating and bypassing parental controls. Im using Microsoft Family Safety, I wonder if therere ways to bypass it. If you delete browsing history on a browser (such as Chrome, Firerox etc) and from the cloud, how...
  8. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD: Currently I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from an old 500 GB HDD. I got a 120 GB SSD and I want to transfer both the OS to the SSD. Youtube tutorials were a bit confusing so I would like some input on the way I'm planning to achieve this. Firstly, I'm planning to...
  9. Delete OS Partition on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete OS Partition on HDD: Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone...
  10. How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?: Hello I recently upgraded my Dell inspiron 3650 to an SSD leaving me a 1TB drive to use as storage, which I did and it worked great for about 2 weeks and then i started to notice small glitches in my system until finally my Bluetooth just quit working all together. So after 4...