Windows 10: I think Windows is lying to me !!!

Discus and support I think Windows is lying to me !!! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there I can't make sense of the values the task manager is showing -- for starters I'm running VMWARE workstation rel 12 which is 64 bit not 32... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

I think Windows is lying to me !!!

Hi there

I can't make sense of the values the task manager is showing -- for starters I'm running VMWARE workstation rel 12 which is 64 bit not 32 bit so why it's reporting a 32 bit application --no idea. I don't believe the VM is 0% CPU either as there's two servers running on the VM - OK no clients connected but the servers always take a small amount of CPU use.

I also have a quite intensive video capture card running TVpanel.exe- that shows only 17% CPU - but I'm sure it's more as the CPU fan starts running faster etc when that application runs. This hardware is capturing SKY Q program in HD (1080p) video.

I think Windows is lying to me !!! [​IMG]

Any ideas or are there better REAL programs that display PROPERLY what the computer is doing --I'd like one to be able to run in the background and write to a log say every 10 mins so I can analyse later.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 28, 2016

2. Are Orange lying to me????

I thought that the network's warranty and the manufacturers warranty were different. I'm sure that if anything goes wrong after 6 months you can send it to Nokia for repair.

madmax9876, Sep 28, 2016
  3. little_gg Win User
    Are Orange lying to me????

When they say that their phones only have a 6mth warranty with them now???

I've always had 12mths?

Does anyone know when this changed or indeed if it didnt???

Thanks in advance

Gem I think Windows is lying to me !!! :)

little_gg, Sep 28, 2016
  4. I think Windows is lying to me !!!

Download Process Explorer. Link

WebbyLight0, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Here is section of my task manager

I think Windows is lying to me !!! [​IMG]

Some programs like Norton Full Internet security are written in 32-Bit while 64-Bit is emulating 32-Bit programs

RoadBlaster, Sep 29, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    pbcopter, Sep 30, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    Apparently Windows is not able to indicate the correct values for VMWare at all. It's not just CPU usage: Try to determine how much ram it is actually using, only useless and obviously wrong values. And Process Explorer does not really help, it displays the exact same meaningless values as Task Manager.

altae, Oct 1, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

I am doing some guessing here:

It isn't that Windows and Task Manager are actually lying to you. It is faithfully reporting the information as it is known. Process Explorer reports the same information because it comes from the same source. Unfortunately that information isn't always correct. The memory that VMWare is using was allocated by a device driver. Windows knows about this memory but not who allocated it or for what purpose. There are no established methods where VMWare can tell Windows what it is doing. I believe the CPU usage of VMWare would be reported under one of the system threads but that is just a guess. Without inside information (as would be known by VMWare developers) there is no way of associating a virtual machine with specific threads.

RAMMap, from the same source as Process Explorer, will report the memory used but I don't believe it knows VMWare is behind it.

LMiller7, Oct 1, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    The VMWare Workstation application is just the front-end GUI, and that is indeed 32 bit, and it's not using much if any CPU because it's not doing much, it's just a shell that displays information.

Each VM has its own process, which you will need to look down in the background-processes to get the info.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I think Windows is lying to me !!! - Similar Threads - lying

2. Is Windows Lying to my users? - Disable Windows Hello setup prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows Lying to my users? - Disable Windows Hello setup prompt: Every time our users log into their W11 Pro system they are prompted to configure Windows Hello saying "Your Organization requires you to configure login with face recognition, fingerprint or PIN" .I have two problems with this:1. We have disabled Entra security defaults2. In...
  3. Is Windows Lying to my users? - Disable Windows Hello setup prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows Lying to my users? - Disable Windows Hello setup prompt: Every time our users log into their W11 Pro system they are prompted to configure Windows Hello saying "Your Organization requires you to configure login with face recognition, fingerprint or PIN" .I have two problems with this:1. We have disabled Entra security defaults2. In...
  4. How is it legal for Samsung to make employees lie about knowing they have issues updating...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is it legal for Samsung to make employees lie about knowing they have issues updating...: I have the laptop Samsung Galaxy book Go I bought in 2022 I've probably used this laptop for less than 3 hours I turned it on the other day and it attempted to update Windows on its own and went straight into recovery screen and will not move from there I've tried contacting...
  5. How is it legal for Samsung to make employees lie about knowing they have issues updating...

How is it legal for Samsung to make employees lie about knowing they have issues updating...: I have the laptop Samsung Galaxy book Go I bought in 2022 I've probably used this laptop for less than 3 hours I turned it on the other day and it attempted to update Windows on its own and went straight into recovery screen and will not move from there I've tried contacting...
  6. storage is running out on C drive by itself and windows storage settings are lying to me

storage is running out on C drive by itself and windows storage settings are lying to me: My OS is installed on my 256gb SSD and I need storage on the SSD for a game I like playing I need it on the SSD for fast loading times and the storage seems to be running out by itself and sometimes when I delete files from the settings>system>storage then instead of getting...
  7. storage is running out on C drive by itself and windows storage settings are lying to me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storage is running out on C drive by itself and windows storage settings are lying to me: My OS is installed on my 256gb SSD and I need storage on the SSD for a game I like playing I need it on the SSD for fast loading times and the storage seems to be running out by itself and sometimes when I delete files from the settings>system>storage then instead of getting...
  8. storage is running out on C drive by itself and windows storage settings are lying to me

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. I CANNOT GET RID OF DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIES OF MSN. I DO NOT WANT SEE ANY NEWS FROM...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I CANNOT GET RID OF DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIES OF MSN. I DO NOT WANT SEE ANY NEWS FROM...: I DELETED THEM ALTOUGH I DIN NOT WANT THIS DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIE NEWS AGAIN THEY REAPPEARED. HOW CAN I COMPLETELY GET RID OF THESE SPAMMERS?...
  10. I CANNOT GET RID OF DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIES OF MSN. I DO NOT WANT SEE ANY NEWS FROM...

I CANNOT GET RID OF DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIES OF MSN. I DO NOT WANT SEE ANY NEWS FROM...: I DELETED THEM ALTOUGH I DIN NOT WANT THIS DISGUSTING PROPAGANDA LIE NEWS AGAIN THEY REAPPEARED. HOW CAN I COMPLETELY GET RID OF THESE SPAMMERS?...