Windows 10: I think windows just tried to install the creator update

Discus and support I think windows just tried to install the creator update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I think windows just tried to install the creator update. It said that it needs to restart. After restarting I get a new screen telling me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sven1458, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Sven1458 Win User

I think windows just tried to install the creator update

Hi all,
    I think windows just tried to install the creator update.
    It said that it needs to restart.
    After restarting I get a new screen telling me that this will take some time and windows needs to restart several times.
    So I left the computer alone and when I came back, I had ablue screen with a frown face and it said that windows ran in to some problem and needs to restart, but first wants to collect some data. The collection never happened, it stayed at 0% for more than 10 minutes.
    At that time I pressed the reset button and restarted my computer. After it started, it tells me that it will revert to my previous operating system. I am now back where I was before the failed upgrade.
    I don’t want to do this again, if I can. Is there a way to avoid the upgrade?
    Thanks
    Sven

:)

Sven1458, Jun 16, 2017
  2. Crossknit Win User

I just tried to update Windows 10 to the 14393, I got error message: 0x1900107. What does this mean? Is there any way to fix it?

I just tried to update to 14393, I got error Message: 0x1900107. What does it mean, and is there a way to fix it?

Crossknit, Jun 16, 2017
  3. I just tried to update Windows 10 to the 14393, I got error message: 0x1900107. What does this mean? Is there any way to fix it?

Hello,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter and check if it helps you fix the issue.

• In the search tab type Troubleshooting and hit enter
    • Select System and security
    • Click Windows update troubleshooter and follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 2: Try the SFC scan to resolve the issue. SFC scans the corrupted files and recover it automatically.

• Right click on Start button.
      • Right click on Command Prompt (Admin) option which will let you run
        'Run as administrator’.
      • Command Prompt Window pops up.
      • Type: SFC/SCANNOW and hit Enter.
    You can also follow the link below for reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Try the following steps to run DISM scan to check and restore system file corruption: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting "Command prompt admin".
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
       DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the Pc.

SujataMoktan, Jun 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, upgrades and updates can fail for a number of reasons. Ultimately, unless you disable Windows update, you won't be able to avoid the upgrade. I don't know if you have Pro or Home; with Pro you can delay it for a few months and still receive updates.

There should be log files where you can try to find out what happened.

Avoiding the upgrade (long term) is the wrong approach. If your PC isn't upgrading, there could be some sort of problem.

There are basic recommendations here as to some precautions to take:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - disable or uninstall your AV, disconnect all unnecessary peripherals esp. wireless.

Check your PC: Some elementary checks (worthwhile doing occasionally)
    1. Your disk: Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial)
    2. Your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the summary result.

Some people find it necessary to do an in-place upgrade repair install of their existing Windows version to be able to upgrade.

Some people find it helpful to manually upgrade: this is my preference as it's under my control.
    a. Download the iso
    b. Create Win 10 bootable medium
    c. Create or update your disk image of your existing system (we strongly advise people use disk imaging so they can restore their system without technical help even if the disk fails or is encrypted with ransomware).
    d. Attempt the upgrade.

Because the iso is downloaded once, multiple attempts are possible without repeating the download.
    This also avoids difficulties with Windows update.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    Hi dalchina
    I downloaded and installed Hard disk sentinel and it checked my drives and both are perfect, see report
    -- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0: CT240BX200SSD1 --

Hard Disk Summary
    -------------------
    Hard Disk Number .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : S-ATAGen3, 6 Gbps
    DiskController . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. : Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (ATA) [VEN: 1002, DEV: 4390]Version: 10.0.14393.953, 6-21-2006
    Disk Location . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Channel0, Target 0, Lun 0, Device: 0
    Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. : CT240BX200SSD1
    FirmwareRevision . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :MU02.6
    Hard Disk SerialNumber . . . . . . . . . . . . :1609F017A9D4
    SSD Controller . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Silicon Motion SM2256G
    Total Size . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 228933 MB
    Power State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Active
    Logical Drive(s) .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : C: [Windows10 Clean]
    CurrentTemperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 35 °C
    Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 12 days,15 hours
    EstimatedRemaining Lifetime . . . . . . . . . . : more than 1000 days
    LifetimeWrites . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :1.80 TB
    Health . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ###################- 99 % (Excellent)
    Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :#################### 100 % (Excellent)

The status of thesolid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
    The TRIM featureof the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
    The health isdetermined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #169 Percentage Lifetime Remaining
    No actions needed.
    Next I did chkdsk and the system restarted and checked it. It went from 0% to 100% in seconds. It then rebooted and I tried to get the log following the tutorial at ask Leo. I could not find it, I am thinking that has something to do with the fact that my drives are SSD.
    After that I ran sfc scannow and the result is: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Does that mean my system is good to go?
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Jun 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, a few people fail to find the chkdsk log- most succeed.

Your disk is probably ok, but there are plenty of reasons for possible upgrade failure.
    This could be conflicting 3rd party programs, drivers or partition problems, for example.

E.g.
    Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver) - Windows 10 Forums

Please post a screenshot of your partitions:
    Windows key + X, click Disk Management
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

Some people find it helpful to manually upgrade: this is my preference as it's under my control.
    a. Download the iso
    b. Create Win 10 bootable medium
    c. Create or update your disk image of your existing system (we strongly advise people use disk imaging so they can restore their system without technical help even if the disk fails or is encrypted with ransomware).
    d. Attempt the upgrade.

Because the iso is downloaded once, multiple attempts are possible without repeating the download.
    This also avoids difficulties with Windows update.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  7. Pluto46 Win User
    I just had exactly the same experience as Sven1458. Blue screen, data collection (100% resulted in nothing). I restarted the computer 5 or 6 times, and it never got beyond the motherboard initiation. Then, after about half an hour of panic, it suddenly decided to boot again. Installation had clearly returned to the previous Windows 10 version, 1607. Well, at least something worked, though it would have helped if the installation process had told me it had failed and was going back to the previous version.

Pluto46, Jun 16, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Go through the basic checks as above, and follow this, as above.

There are basic recommendations here as to some precautions to take:
    - disable or uninstall your AV, disconnect all unnecessary peripherals esp. wireless.

Note the clean boot recommendation. Further, make sure there are no installed programs or drivers that might conflict - research similar reports.

Problems with partitions can cause upgrades to fail. Hence my request for a screenshot of Disk Management.

Finally, you may need to consult the logs.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  9. Pluto46 Win User
    Gosh, dalchina, I didn't expect a reply. Thanks for the tips anyway. I've only got two peripherals really, apart from mouse and keyboard: a couple small loudspeakers and a WD My Book disk.

There are a few warnings in the system event viewer, including this one:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80246013: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568).

Strangely, there are 10 failure messages in update history, of which the first is

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)

I might add otherwise that I at least have been very happy with Windows 10. Never had any update problems, crashes, BODs or anything else to complain about.

Pluto46, Jun 16, 2017
  10. Pluto46 Win User
    I discovered that the failure code relates to a download failure. Is there any way to download the update and put it on a usb drive? Or does the installation rely on having to download data while it's doing its thing?

Pluto46, Jun 16, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can use the Media Creation Tool to create a Creator's Update USB flash drive. Click on Download Tool Now button on this webpage:
    Download Windows 10

When you run the Media Creation Tool you will want to select the option for "Create installation media for another PC".

NavyLCDR, Jun 16, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    It sounds as if Windows update is working- trying to apply updates- but both recent ones you list and the Creator's upgrade fail.

Please do work through the steps I've posted above- check the integrity of what you have, then do the upgrade manually.

I do not advise you proceed with attempting the upgrade without doing basic checks on your system
    (Disk, file system, system files).
    Please also post a screenshot of your Disk Management or better, a partition manager like Minitool P Wizard.

================= Manual upgrade ===========
    1. Create a disk image of what you have (things can go badly wrong) - Macrium Reflect (free) e.g.
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - or a DVD

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  13. Sven1458 Win User

Hi dalchina

here is the screenshot of my disks

I think windows just tried to install the creator update [​IMG]

Sven1458, Jun 16, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that looks like a legacy BIOS installation with Windows partitions on Disk 0. However, the Recovery partition is missing. Further, there's no unallocated space; sometimes Win 10 creates a second recovery partition when upgrading.

If your recovery partition is missing, if you try SHIFT left click restart, you will not have any advanced troubleshooting options (Safe Mode options, System Restore, Command Prompt).. - you can try that.

However, people have reported only having two partitions as you have with MBR/legacy BIOS.

from the link below:
    Partition layout If you install Windows using a bootable USB key made by Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD), it creates the following layout by default: a system partition, a Windows partition, and a recovery tools partition.

BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

I would suggest shrinking C: by, say, 600Mb at least, and trying again manually, following the recommendations here:
    - uninstall AV, clean boot, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals....

After that, time to consult the logs.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  15. Pluto46 Win User
    Here are a couple of screenshots of my disks/partitions (too many disks to fit on one screenshot):

I'm creating a usb with Windows 10 media as we speak.

Pluto46, Jun 16, 2017
Thema:

1. I think windows just tried to install the creator update - Similar Threads - tried install creator

2. I just can't, think of it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just can't, think of it?: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10.I'm trying to remember, the name. Of an, audio program.The interface, has a VU meter. Stop record, start record.You can edit. It does everything, you need for audio!If, I recall. It begins, with an "A". I, think?Thanks, for...
  3. I just can't, think of it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I just can't, think of it?: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10.I'm trying to remember, the name. Of an, audio program.The interface, has a VU meter. Stop record, start record.You can edit. It does everything, you need for audio!If, I recall. It begins, with an "A". I, think?Thanks, for...
  4. I just can't, think of it?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I tried to update to 2004 using Media Creator but I couldn't.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I tried to update to 2004 using Media Creator but I couldn't.: I live in Indonesia (ID), Lenovo Yoga laptop, Win10 OEM Single Language. Stuck in Progress 0%. submitted by /u/GoldJello [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/guld4d/i_tried_to_update_to_2004_using_media_creator_but/
  6. installing the Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing the Windows 10 Creators Update: The Discussion …. Text may not appear in the Windows interface on some devices after installing the Windows 10 Creators Update...
  7. Just tried this, I think it's very cool!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just tried this, I think it's very cool!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ashuraaz23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etqg09/just_tried_this_i_think_its_very_cool/
  8. Fall Creator edition thinks it hasn't installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creator edition thinks it hasn't installed: Fall Creator edition is definitely on my machine. All the new elements I'm aware of are there, (including the new folder protection, see separate thread) it says version 1709 in the settings But Windows Update is still trying to install it. It downloads, then comes up with...
  9. creators update failed to install

creators update failed to install: all the waiting and delaying, and just today decided to go ahead with update. now it failed to install. why didn't it go through hmm [img] 92770
  10. creator update installed

creator update installed: Minor problems, (or annoyances), after installing. 1 problem remains, I play dominoes on playdrift, after update of creator now all the dominoes flash when they move, very annoying, game plays correctly. Did update change something causing this, did edge change something....