Windows 10: I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update !

Discus and support I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update ! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So, when I first upgraded to Win10, I went through a hundred steps to make sure that Cortana was removed from my machine. I mean, deep into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bansaw, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Bansaw Win User

I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update !

So, when I first upgraded to Win10, I went through a hundred steps to make sure that Cortana was removed from my machine. I mean, deep into the settings, command prompt stuff, everything.
    I did check and it seemed to have been eradicated. It wasn't in the background processes or anything like that.

Imagine my shock last night when I checked my background processes and I found Cortana very much alive.
    It MUST have been brought back to life through a windows update. I mean, I killed that thing.

How do I make sure Cortana is completely killed without any hope of it coming back on me?
    I feel like Microsoft is stalking me with this thing.

:)

Bansaw, Jul 1, 2016

2. Transfer the personal data and files to the new account. Windows 10.

Thank you! Out of the blue and after 5 or 6 days not having access, Start Menu and Cortana came back to life. I will file these details just in case.

Bowlingboz, Jul 1, 2016
  3. v5 software now available for my 5800XM - any issues ?

Thanks

Why remove the memory card (if it's backed up) ?

Also, I thought I'd read somewhere about battery life being reduced by this update - is this true ?

swayzak---01, Jul 1, 2016
  4. Bansaw Win User

Bansaw, Jul 1, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Jul 1, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    You can't expect the forcible removal of Windows components to survive an update. The update process is likely to see this as a problem that needs to be fixed.

Forcibly removing Windows components is generally a bad idea and may have unpredictable results, such as the loss of apparently unrelated functionality or failure of latter updates. You may not use Cortana but that doesn't mean Windows is not using some of it's components for other purposes. Modern operating systems do a lot of this code sharing.

Best to stick with the supported methods of hiding Cortana.

LMiller7, Jul 1, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Switch to desired privacy settings in Settings and Cortana Settings,
    and:

I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update ! [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update ! - Similar Threads - thought I'd killed

2. Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update: The newest Win11 update 09/26/23, you can NO longer remove the notifications icon the little bell icon on taskbar now... And NO, the 'DND' doesn't work to remove it anymore, that just puts some Zzz's over it... : And it adds a new icon 'Copilot' that you have to remove as...
  3. Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update: The newest Win11 update 09/26/23, you can NO longer remove the notifications icon the little bell icon on taskbar now... And NO, the 'DND' doesn't work to remove it anymore, that just puts some Zzz's over it... : And it adds a new icon 'Copilot' that you have to remove as...
  4. New windows 11 update killed battery life

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows 11 update killed battery life: Hello,i have recently downloaded the newest windows 11 update and my laptop's battery life plumetted from about 5 hours to just under 1 i have followed every tip i have found online and it barely extended te capacity to 1h15 minutes....
  5. New windows 11 update killed battery life

New windows 11 update killed battery life: Hello,i have recently downloaded the newest windows 11 update and my laptop's battery life plumetted from about 5 hours to just under 1 i have followed every tip i have found online and it barely extended te capacity to 1h15 minutes....
  6. Microsoft update killed my laptop battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft update killed my laptop battery life: Does anyone know a fix or how to revert to the previous version of windows you had. I have a razer blade 15 and just got it back from razer having them fix battery life issues. It came back how I expected it to, with around 5 or so hours of battery life doing things such as...
  7. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  8. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

in Windows 10 Support
    I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  9. How DID I kill Cortana?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How DID I kill Cortana?: There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809. Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition Somehow, I was able to completely remove Cortana from my Search App on Old PC. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did that....
  10. Is microsoft killing cortana

Is microsoft killing cortana: Is Microsoft killing Cortana because I saw a news article that it is so is it true https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-killing-cortana/38cb7a9c-359f-433b-a3d5-cf3fe1e5b5db