Windows 10: I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Discus and support I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got to hop back over to Windows 8.1 and get all the files I need. Do you mean you guys completely removed your old Windows and the only OS on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Chuck38 Win User

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

I've got to hop back over to Windows 8.1 and get all the files I need.

Do you mean you guys completely removed your old Windows and the only OS on you system is 10? Y'all are brave! *Cool

Chuck38, Oct 1, 2014
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Well, good news. I just tested all of my programs and they all work just fine. Seems they start very fast now.
    Really liking Win10

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    You bet ya. Every bit of Win8.1 is off of my PC and it's just running Win10 now. Yeah you can say I'm brave/stupid but I just took the dive and I'm glad I did.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  4. cfourkays Win User

I did the same as you, Bunnyj
    When it first booted I didn't realize I had 10 installed.
    Had to check my Basic Info.
    Exited Classic Shell to get the full impact of the new Start.
    Installed on my work Asus X550c laptop.

So far I've checked all my Progr......., ah, I mean Apps and have no problems. Full MS Office 2007 Pro.
    Only item not working in HP Envy 4500 pinter.

cfourkays, Oct 2, 2014
  5. bromanbro Win User
    Me too, it's working well *Smile. Start menu is very similar to Win7, so didn't bother getting Classic Shell (tho I still love those guys and their product)

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I think that they did a great job with that product as well, Classic Shell.
    I really like what MS did with the new Start Menu. Looks great and it's very flexible.

Jeff..

BunnyJ, Oct 2, 2014
  7. Edwin New Member
    I think I may take the 'plunge'.
    I running W10 on an HDD and it's blowing me away! ... and I'm not even half done tweakin'!
    I might wipe 'er clean and pop W10 on the SSD.

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  8. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Yes, no trace of 8.1 at all. Whiped it off the table in an instant. Did back up user sheit on external drive just to be safe. Since I only have a 128Gb SSD as one partition I let W10 do a clean installation straight through. It saved my user sheit in Windows.old folders as usual and when I removed them as well, I had more space left than I have had for years *Wink

It's really stable and a pure joy to work with. A couple of things have moved to other locations and I somewhat miss the information panel and large clock that glided onto the screen when moving the cursor in the lower right corner. Also miss to beeing able to close applications and programs by draging them to the bottom. Or perhaps I have not played with it enough yet =P

Tonight I will try to install it on my shitty old Netbook *Wink

salicaceae, Oct 2, 2014
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you might need to check with your English colleagues for your S ending in t or e word !!!. However what I want to ask you is have you tried it with a touch enabled laptop yet or on just a "bog standard" computer.

We don't seem to have many touch screen testers currently.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    I have W10 TP now running on my primary SSD, so I can put it through the paces. *Biggrin

LittleJay, Oct 2, 2014
  11. badrobot Win User

I think the issue is not installing Win 10 over 8. It will surely work fine because MS tested it. But aside from possible bugs in the future (knock on wood), the bigger problem will come in April 2015 when you want to switch to the official release. You have to do a clean install of 8 (or simply go back to 8) before you can get the official release. It will not come as an update to the technical preview.

The W10 TP upgrade option is a trap in my opinion. If you have no means to go back to 7 & 8, you will be forced to buy 10. And for MS, that's $$$$$$$.

badrobot, Oct 2, 2014
  12. Chuck38 Win User
    Is Windows 10 going to be distributed through the App Store like 8.1 was? If so, I'm quite sure you will be able to upgrade to the official release which I believe is actually coming at the end of 2015.

You will not be able to download the preview after April 2015. I think, I may be wrong though. *Smile

-Chuck

Chuck38, Oct 2, 2014
  13. LittleJay Win User

I would hope that anyone, who chose to upgrade over their primary OS would have created a system image beforehand. But maybe not....

LittleJay, Oct 2, 2014
  14. badrobot Win User
    Most probably yes. It will come from app store. But the big question is "upgrade from what?" if you have overwritten your old OS. I do hope these people have backups ready. *Smile

badrobot, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Chuck38 Win User
    I see what you mean, now!

Well, I didn't overwrite and if I did I always have my installation disk! *Smile

Chuck38, Oct 2, 2014
Thema:

1. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. - Similar Threads - took plunge Win10

2. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  3. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  4. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  5. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  6. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB...
  8. Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition: Hello, A friend recently upgraded to a SSD, but did NOT have a USB/Windows DVD. So I had her partition off some space using a laptop, which we then put the setup files on. From there, we plugged in the SSD and setup Windows. Problem is, Windows 10 decided to play the System,...
  9. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.: I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The only way to truly tell if...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531