Windows 10: I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Discus and support I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yep but there really isn't going to be any love loss with win-8.1.. on my end, But original win-8 still on flash media *Wink Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014.

1. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Yep but there really isn't going to be any love loss with win-8.1.. on my end,
    But original win-8 still on flash media *Wink

ThrashZone, Oct 2, 2014
  2. Chuck38 Win User

I think my heart would be permanently broken if I ever lost my Windows 8.1!!

Chuck38, Oct 2, 2014
  3. badrobot Win User
    I am sure everyone will jump to 10. It's just a question of "how" for those who ignored saving a backup. *Smile

badrobot, Oct 2, 2014
  4. badrobot Win User

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

I am playing around with my cloned Win 7 copy, and I confirm that as of today, 04 Oct, the upgrade option is still online for Win 7.

badrobot, Oct 3, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    That's not an issue and I have long planned for that. I'm all set to re-install win8.1 right before I upgrade then re-install the programs/apps I need. And, in addition, I plan on purchasing a full copy of Win10. I for one don't see buying a copy of Win10 as an issue.

The Win10TP is not a "trap". From my point of view if you don't or can't do a full recovery from a disaster then you have the issue. I have a full ISO of both Win7 and Win8.1 and all of my programs on backup media so it only takes me about 2 hours to recover.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 3, 2014
  6. Dude Win User
    I'm the same, I still have an image of 8.1 and 7 saved. I learned my lesson the hard way

7. BunnyJ New Member
    I learned form working at several major business that disaster recovery is a must so I always have an image of my current OS.

BunnyJ, Oct 3, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

I've been testing image recovery the whole night. I have 2 versions of images. 1 using native windows utility and one using Macrium. There seems to be a bug with Windows created images. Restoration doesn't work and this error pops up:

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. [​IMG]

I am sure about using 64-bit as the only 32-bit images I have are those for my tablet. I've tried this both on restoring from Win10 back to Win 7, and restoring Win10 to Win10. The only image restoration that works is by using images created with Macrium on pre-OS mode (macrium usb bootable recovery media required).

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. [​IMG]

Can someone please confirm this? Just try restoring any windows created image on Win 10 TP.

I do hope it's just me. But if not, we need to report this bug.

Cheers!

badrobot, Oct 3, 2014
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Well I am glad I have seen this thread as it has made up my mind pretty well not to try it - cannot for the life of me see why one would want a "front end" (ie Desktop) like that as I can see has 8 written all over it.
    The only thing that is going to sell it to me is if it is faster OS than 7 as 8.1 turned out to be run in 7 style on two of my machines, plus 10 runs faster than 8.1!!.
    What is it with those panels and the apps?? Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is like 8.1 is my speckie spell check uses a bar to alter rather than the old arrow or hand cursors.
    Disappointing*Sleepy

ICIT2LOL, Oct 3, 2014
  10. cfourkays Win User
    Disappointing?
    This is a 6 Month preview to point out User niggles and complaints.*Sleepy

cfourkays, Oct 3, 2014
  11. Vista is performing very well under the name of Longhorn (Beta name of Vista) until it's about to get released, performance went going down.

RoasterMen, Oct 3, 2014
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    That didn't happen when 7/8 or 8.1 came out for me.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 3, 2014
  13. endeavor Win User

Absolutely, I'm never ever without a backup image either. I keep multiple 2TB drives just for that storage.
    I'll never ever be caught without a way back to square one on any of my OS's. Heck I even still have backup images of Windows 9x, and of course everything since.
    I also keep full back images at different time points of an OS, like right after a fresh install make one, and then once a week or month depending, but only keep the ones that speak to a definite advance for instance when having gone from IE10 to IE11 or major Windows Update or SP changes; that way if I need to refer live to something, I restore the OS partition in minutes and can test/research whatever at that particular timepoint.
    Anyway, like you, I am a partition backup enthusiast for sure, it's actually one of my favorite things to do alongside of software testings.

endeavor, Oct 3, 2014
  14. Dude Win User
    It's not just you, my image gave me the same error *Sad.

I'm, going to reinstall 8, then restore my image, then try the upgrade instead of clean install, then test if the image will work. Fun times *Party*Party

15. John, you need to download it and run it in a virtual machine. Yes it is an early beta, yes it has 8 writen all over it just like 7 have vista all over it at first. M$ want feedback and we need you Geek Expertise to take a look and come up with some feedback. This is more of a desktop OS ATM so at least give it a test drive on a VM or one of your back up machines.

Indianatone, Oct 3, 2014
Thema:

1. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. - Similar Threads - took plunge Win10

2. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  3. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  4. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  5. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  6. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB...
  8. Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition: Hello, A friend recently upgraded to a SSD, but did NOT have a USB/Windows DVD. So I had her partition off some space using a laptop, which we then put the setup files on. From there, we plugged in the SSD and setup Windows. Problem is, Windows 10 decided to play the System,...
  9. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.: I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The only way to truly tell if...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531