Windows 10: I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Discus and support I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It's not just you, my image gave me the same error *Sad. I'm, going to reinstall 8, then restore my image, then try the upgrade instead of clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014.

1. badrobot Win User

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Last night I tried upgrading my cloned copy of Windows 7 to 10. Everything went smooth. All my installed programs were not touched.

I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. [​IMG]

Then I tried restoring back to 7 using Windows image. I got error as shown above. Then I used Macrium image to restore back to 7 and it was successful.

I think MS is being sneaky on this one.

badrobot, Oct 4, 2014
  2. Dude Win User

I'm not calling it a bug for me now. I reinstalled 8 and the image still didn't work *Huh, now I have to reinstall all my software. It's a pain, but at least I keep my important data on separate hard drives just in case. After I get my 8 back up to par, I will try dual boot this time.

3. LittleJay Win User
    Yup. Macrium has always been super dependable for me. Windows imaging, not so much.

LittleJay, Oct 4, 2014
  4. Wynona Win User

I was probably one of the few who didn't have a bucketload of issues with Vista. Like Windows 98, it was solid for me. However, I seem to have been in the minority and the Windows 7 beta came out shortly after Vista RTM'd, so I went there and didn't look back. Because of that, I have very little experience with the RTM version of Vista.

Wynona, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Wynona Win User
    Some people just punch buttons and don't worry about what they do until it's too late. *Smile

Wynona, Oct 8, 2014
  6. Wynona Win User
    Whatcha wanna do, take all the fun outta Windows 10? *Smile

Wynona, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Wynona Win User
    Once Fry's opens, I'm on my way to get a 240 GB SSD for this laptop.

I'll remove the hard drive from this one and throw in the SSD. Once that's done, I'll install Windows 10.

Wynona, Oct 8, 2014
  8. LittleJay Win User

That kind of "fun" I can live without! *Biggrin Seriously though, I would think that most of the people trying out the W10 TP are "geeks" and would be knowledgeable enough to back up their system first.

LittleJay, Oct 8, 2014
  9. Wynona Win User
    I'm in absolute agreement with that.

As an experiment, I decided to try dual booting Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. For some reason, there were already too many partitions (I didn't create 'em, Winders did) and I wound up with all dynamic partitions.

Dual boot failed, so I now have Windows 10 on that computer with all the partitions being dynamic. Later, I'll probably go in and see if I can change them back to basic, but for now, I have other fish to fry.

In fact, I'll remove the drive from this system and install a new SSD. Overkill? Probably, but I've been wanting an SSD anyway.

Wynona, Oct 8, 2014
  10. LittleJay Win User
    I don't consider an SSD as overkill, but a necessity, because running an OS on a spinner would drive me absolutely crazy (speed wise) and we can't have that, can we? *Biggrin

LittleJay, Oct 8, 2014
  11. Chuck38 Win User
    I'm using a hybrid. Runs great for me! *Biggrin

Course I have never had an SSD. *Sad

One of these days I'll get me one! *Smile

Chuck38, Oct 8, 2014
  12. Wynona Win User
    Well, shuckins . . . I got the 240 GB SSD, but it's SATA III, backwards compatible with SATA II 3GB/s. I don't think this laptop is SATA II.

Guess I gotta go look. Oh, well, even though it's 2.5", it'll fit on the desktop.

Wynona, Oct 9, 2014
  13. LittleJay Win User

I have 3 SSDs in my desktop PC. No.1 has W7 on it, No.2 has W8.1 and now No.3 has W10 TP.

LittleJay, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary.. - Similar Threads - took plunge Win10

2. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  3. PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF Preview Pane is tiny on secondary screen but not on primary screen: Hi team,Why are PDFs in the Preview Pane so tiny and unadjustable on secondary screens but are maximised on primary screens only?I've tried this on 5 different secondary monitors but to no avail. Anything I google doesn't apply to secondary screens.This would cut my admin...
  4. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  5. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10: Hi,I have reset and now have a clean Win 10 but I see it is on one partition and not the whole drive. I want it to be the whole drive deleting all other partitions so they are really clean.How do I do this ?This is the Disk Mgmt view...
  6. How to make primary disk ready to sell Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB...
  8. Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 - Fix improper System\Active\Primary Partition: Hello, A friend recently upgraded to a SSD, but did NOT have a USB/Windows DVD. So I had her partition off some space using a laptop, which we then put the setup files on. From there, we plugged in the SSD and setup Windows. Problem is, Windows 10 decided to play the System,...
  9. Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking the plunge - 10 as main OS.: I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The only way to truly tell if...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531