Windows 10: I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly?

Discus and support I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am upgrading a laptop from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. I typed the product key wrong without realizing it. Now I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PLJPCJOHN, Aug 15, 2018.

1. PLJPCJOHN Win User

I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly?

I am upgrading a laptop from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. I typed the product key wrong without realizing it. Now I cannot figure out how to get back to where I can correct my mistake. I just get an error screen that the product key is wrong, which I know but can not figure out how to correct my mistake. Help me please.

:)

PLJPCJOHN, Aug 15, 2018

2. Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10 product key error

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to activate the copy of Windows via phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select your Region/Country.
    • Select the Phone Activation option, and hold on for a real person.
    Hope the information is helpful.

Regards

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 15, 2018
  4. I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly?

Windows 10 Product Key

Hi Oscar,

Since the laptop has no battery compartment wherein the product key is usually located, we recommend that you follow these steps to find your Windows product key:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and hit Enter.

Also, if you're looking to reinstall Windows 10 after a hardware replacement, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this

article

Let us know if performing these steps resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly?

1. I typed the Windows 10 product key incorrectly - how do I get back to enter it correctly? - Similar Threads - typed product key

2. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  3. How do i get my original product key back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i get my original product key back: Apparently you can buy cheaper product keys that work for like 20 dollars instead of the joke of 380au dollars, so i tried putting the key in and it's not working. "you don't have a valid digital licence or product key" I was trying to upgrade from windows 11 home to pro, and...
  4. I entered correct Product key to the option "Change Product Key", but it says that 'The...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I entered correct Product key to the option "Change Product Key", but it says that 'The...: I found my Product key from command prompt admin, but when I try to activate it, it prompts an error that the product key didn't work, Try again. I checked it twice and it was correct, but it isn't activating, help....
  5. I entered correct Product key to the option "Change Product Key", but it says that 'The...

I entered correct Product key to the option "Change Product Key", but it says that 'The...: I found my Product key from command prompt admin, but when I try to activate it, it prompts an error that the product key didn't work, Try again. I checked it twice and it was correct, but it isn't activating, help....
  6. I entered correct Product key to the option "Change Product Key", but it says that 'The...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to get Windows 10 product key back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get Windows 10 product key back.: Recently my old HP laptop's HDD died and I was looking for a replacement. I found one exactly the same which was in use in my desktop but 500GB instead of 250GB. Just to make sure it fit I pugged mine into the laptop to make sure it fit and connected correctly. When I put my...
  8. How to get Windows 10 product key back.

How to get Windows 10 product key back.: Recently my old HP laptop's HDD died and I was looking for a replacement. I found one exactly the same which was in use in my desktop but 500GB instead of 250GB. Just to make sure it fit I pugged mine into the laptop to make sure it fit and connected correctly. When I put my...
  9. How to get Windows 10 product key back.

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How to enter correct product key for Windows 10 when a previously used key was entered by...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to enter correct product key for Windows 10 when a previously used key was entered by...: I have two computers, one at home and one at the office. My office bought Windows 10 Professional upgrade licenses for both. I upgraded my computer at home first using one of the product keys. Later, when I was back at the office, I started the process of using the second...