Windows 10: I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

Discus and support I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bobc4d, Feb 26, 2016.

1. bobc4d Win User

I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this possible? the program is up and running now but runs in both accounts. I use my admin account to do banking only and the user account to do 3D and allow the BOINC app to run when the PC isn't being used.

thanks,
    bob

:)

bobc4d, Feb 26, 2016

2. Every time I try to run a program as admin a box pops up.

The box shows where the file is located. For example, "C\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe"

then it says "File system error (-1073741819)"

Any thoughts?

-Brayton

BraytonLane, Feb 26, 2016
  3. Every time I try to run a program as admin a box pops up.

Hi Brayton,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue.
    Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to boot in safe mode and check if you encounter the same issue. Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer with only basic service and functionality. If an existing problem doesn’t reappear when
    you start windows in safe mode, you can eliminate the defaults settings and basic device drivers as possible cause. Visit the below link on how to boot in safe mode:

Boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode

If the issue still persist try the below methods.

Method 2.

I suggest you to perform Clean boot and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    Clean boot process will help you determine which third party program/app that is causing this issue. It could be some other application or programs, which runs on the computer at the background, leading to this issue. Please visit the below
    link on how to perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

If the above methods does not fix the issue try the below provided information.

Method 3.

This issue could be due to the system file is corrupt. I recommend you to perform SFC scan, System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. Follow the below
    link on how to run SFC scan.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 26, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I run the same program .. have you tried to suspend
    the projects when you use your admin account??

BunnyJ, Feb 26, 2016
  5. bobc4d Win User
    yes I do that, I do not want it to even start when I log in as admin.

btw I am crunching SETI@home

bobc4d, Feb 26, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I'll think about this but right now I don't have any ideas that would help.

With luck someone else will have an answer.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 26, 2016
  7. bobc4d Win User
    thanks Jeff I appreciate the input. I'm not sure it is possible and googling it didn't help.

bobc4d, Feb 26, 2016
  8. Datapod Win User

Have you tried disabling the programs "start with Windows" option (or disabling it's RUN key directly in the registry if that's not available) and putting a shortcut to the programs executable in the "Startup" folder for just the user for whom you wish the program to run?

HTH

D

Datapod, Feb 26, 2016
  9. bobc4d Win User
    no I haven't thought about that way. I'll give it a try.

thanks

bobc4d, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account - Similar Threads - program run user

2. Win 10 I want an admin and a power user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 I want an admin and a power user account: In Win 10 I have been operating for 6 months with just one account, and that is the one I'm signed in with right now. With The account I'm signed in with how do I end up with an admin and a power user account. If I switch from one account to the other I don't want to notice...
  3. Win 10 I want an admin and a power user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 I want an admin and a power user account: In Win 10 I have been operating for 6 months with just one account, and that is the one I'm signed in with right now. With The account I'm signed in with how do I end up with an admin and a power user account. If I switch from one account to the other I don't want to notice...
  4. Win 10 I want an admin and a power user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Deleted the only User admin account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted the only User admin account: Hi there, hopefully there’s some help out there, stupidly I have deleted the only user account on my windows laptop and it won’t let me factory reset the pc.Back story is I was trying to free space in C drive because it wouldn’t allow me to uninstall anything and it wouldn’t...
  6. Run a program without admin privileges from admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run a program without admin privileges from admin account: Okay, I found a thread with this same question, but he was using Windows Server, and so was told this forum was for home users. I am a home user, running Windows 10 Pro, but I have the exact same problem. I cannot run OneDrive.exe, as it says to not run it as an admin. Run...
  7. I want to change my local account to a Admin but it's the only account i have

I want to change my local account to a Admin but it's the only account i have: Someone told me if i change it i would be able to Unlink a email which i don't know whose is. So i did so and now i can't do literally anything and i don't know how to change it back....
  8. Programs running in Buit in Admin account but not in User Account having admin privileges

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Programs running in Buit in Admin account but not in User Account having admin privileges: Hi Support Team I am facing an issue for programs running properly in Built in Admin User Account however not in Self created User account having admin privileges. This issue occurs with many programs like 1. i Have to run many programs Setups .exe through cmd as...
  9. I cannot find my admin account and only have a user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I cannot find my admin account and only have a user account: Help!!! I cannot download or uninstall items due to admin account restrictions. I cannot find my admin account, how do I make my current user account into an admin account with an original admin account? Is there any way I can bypass this admin account thing? [img] 146739
  10. I downloaded a program and it is the admin account and I want to move it to user account.

I downloaded a program and it is the admin account and I want to move it to user account.: help please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-downloaded-a-program-and-it-is-the-admin-account/e17d0a2f-bf90-44a2-b49a-170fba3aca28