Windows 10: I want shutdown but NOT turn off...

Discus and support I want shutdown but NOT turn off... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. Wondered if anyone can help. Back in the day when you shutdown Windows it would shut down and wait patiently for you to turn the power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BogBeast Win User

I want shutdown but NOT turn off...

Hello all.

Wondered if anyone can help.

Back in the day when you shutdown Windows it would shut down and wait patiently for you to turn the power off.

Nowadays, you shutdown and the machine will turn itself off. ACPI and all that

Which is great.

But I have a scenario where I would like that old behavior back.

I want to script a shutdown and have it wait WITHOUT turning off. I will then have an external power switch turn the PC off...

Currently, If the PC shuts down neatly and turns off, I can switch off the power, but when I turn it back on, the PC resolutely stays off...

I have been in the BIOS and I can change the "After Power Failure" to always on, but because the machine was cleanly shutdown, this has no effect,

Is it possible to change theis ACPI behaviour?

:)

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017

2. my windows 10 laptop won't shutdown

my windows 10 laptop is won't shutdown

after pressing the shutdown option from the power button the screen will off but fan and notification lights will not off

what i want to do?

sivasheshu, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Audiopro Win User
    Switch Off

I have set up a shutdown icon on the desktop but once again this issue leaves me wondering just what is in the vastly bloated contents of Windows 10 when any time I want to add something or set something up, I have to download even more code to achieve
    it.

Audiopro, Mar 20, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Why not just use Hibernate or Sleep mode?

Plankton, Mar 20, 2017
  5. AndreyT Win User
    But how do you expect the "old shutdown behavior" to help you here? Under "old behavior" the PC would still stay off when the power was restored. You still had to manually press the button to turn it on.

It appears that you want to change the "power on" behavior of the PC. Why are you then talking about the shutdown behavior?

AndreyT, Mar 20, 2017
  6. BogBeast Win User
    Perhaps I was a bit rubbish at explaining. You are right, what I want is the PC to power on when the power has been re-applied, after it has been shutdown cleanly.

I have a bunch of machines that are UPS backed but don't have any sort of UPS agent on them. So, when the power fails I PowerShell script them to shut down cleanly, which they do.

When the power comes back, they stay off. I suspect because that's what ACPI spec says (just guessing). I want them to power back up without having to push the power button.

There is nothing in the BIOS that helps me, I wondered if anybody knew if it was possible to change this behaviour in windows?

Thanks

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Depends on BIOS of course but most have something along this line: "In case of power failure..... Stay OFF or restart". It's usually somewhere in Power (saving) options.

CountMike, Mar 20, 2017
  8. BogBeast Win User

Yep, I have that.

However, that only seems to take effect is power is lost without the machine being shutdown . ie you lose power suddenly in a power cut.

If you shut down cleanly it seems to have no effect. The power comes back at the wall, machine stays shutdown until power button pushed.

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    You'll have to flick power button off and on while computer is in (normal) off state for that to happen.

CountMike, Mar 20, 2017
  10. BogBeast Win User
    Ok, not easy when I am in a different country to the machine *Smile

I just wondered if there was a way to control the ACPI behavior through windows.

At the moment, the power shuts off and the machines power off without shutting down. They then come on when the power comes back. Which is what I want.

But - after a few instances of this, I get disk corruption and startup problems - windows refuses to start ok because it was not cleanly shut down.....

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Turn off 'Fast Startup'.

Edwin, Mar 20, 2017
  12. Wake On LAN maybe? Do these PC's have serial ports? Maybe you can turn them on from your UPS via Wake On Serial command?

alphanumeric, Mar 20, 2017
  13. BogBeast Win User

Thanks, I will try this..

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
  14. BogBeast Win User
    WOL could be an option, would need another machine to issue the WOL packet. I think I could figure something out..

BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
  15. BogBeast Win User
    BogBeast, Mar 20, 2017
Thema:

1. I want shutdown but NOT turn off... - Similar Threads - shutdown turn off

2. I just wanted to turn off my laptop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just wanted to turn off my laptop...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/-Mr_Ogi- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/11dm3u9/i_just_wanted_to_turn_off_my_laptop/
  3. I want to turn off LifeCam's LED lamp

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I want to turn off LifeCam's LED lamp: Hi, I'm using LifeCam, T3H-00019, in VDI desktop and its LED light is turning on all time even while I'm not using the camera. I saw another Q&A and already checked its microphone/ Cortana setting but doesn't change. How can I fix it? Thank you....
  4. I want to turn off LifeCam's LED lamp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to turn off LifeCam's LED lamp: Hi, I'm using LifeCam, T3H-00019, in VDI desktop and its LED light is turning on all time even while I'm not using the camera. I saw another Q&A and already checked its microphone/ Cortana setting but doesn't change. How can I fix it? Thank you....
  5. I want to turn off LifeCam's LED lamp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My Laptop keep shutdown while auto shutdown is off. How to turn it off?

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Laptop keep shutdown while auto shutdown is off. How to turn it off?: I already change it all to never. but everytime i left my laptop maybe in 3-4 hours, it always auto shutdown. Can somebody help?i already try command prompt "shutdown -a" and nothing changei used to download something and i left my laptop.. but this is very annoying. Please...
  7. My Laptop keep shutdown while auto shutdown is off. How to turn it off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop keep shutdown while auto shutdown is off. How to turn it off?: I already change it all to never. but everytime i left my laptop maybe in 3-4 hours, it always auto shutdown. Can somebody help?i already try command prompt "shutdown -a" and nothing changei used to download something and i left my laptop.. but this is very annoying. Please...
  8. My Laptop keep shutdown while auto shutdown is off. How to turn it off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. i want to turn off the password option

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    i want to turn off the password option: sir, i want tp turn of the password option in my computer. whenever i sign in my computer it asks for a password which is joined with my microsoft account...
  10. Enabling shutdown sound/turning off fast shutdown?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling shutdown sound/turning off fast shutdown?: I've browsed through a few threads on here, and because of that, I was able to figure out how to disable fast startup (which allows me to listen to the startup sound), but also replace it as well since I believe by default, there is no startup sound in Windows 10. However,...