Windows 10: I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear.

Discus and support I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Today I have installed the free Window 10 Home Edition x64 and in the systems screen it is listed as "Windows is activated." However, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheDonutCometh, Jul 30, 2015.

1. I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear.

Hello,

Today I have installed the free Window 10 Home Edition x64 and in the systems screen it is listed as "Windows is activated." However, I intend to perform a system reset because my system has been acting odd ever since it went through the update. The update process itself went fine without any errors. But now there are very long start up times, programs refuse to start up, errors. I've spend a near 5 five hours going through every option until I decided to do the reset.

The only trouble I have is that a warning screen shows up before I can do the reset and delete all my files. This is the Google Translate of it:

This PC has recently been upgraded to Windows 10. If you reset the computer, the upgrade can not be undone and put back the previous version of Windows.

But if I were to be literal in what it states in my language, it's more like this:

This PC has recently been upgraded to Windows 10. If you reset the computer, the upgrade cannot be undone and the previous version of Windows will be put back.

Is it safe for me to do a system reset without removing Windows 10?

:)

TheDonutCometh, Jul 30, 2015

2. I want to do a factory reset on my computer, but last time I did that, some files weren't deleted

Once your hardware has been activated on win 10 you can wipe the drive and simply download the iso, boot from it, and install it. when you get to the step where it asks for a key simply skip that step. The installation will check with the online activation
    servers verify your identity and complete the install

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 30, 2015
  3. jjterp Win User
    I want to do a factory reset on my computer, but last time I did that, some files weren't deleted

I have installed some programs outside of "..\Programs Files (x82)" and "..\Program Files" and last time I did a factory reset, those files weren't deleted. Would there be a way to do a factory reset that would also delete those? I got Windows 10 as a free
    upgrade for 7, so I don't have anything I can use to reinstall windows if I wipe the drive--that is, unless there's some way to do it. I'm simply assuming that, since my install was a free download, I don't have a key or anything; thus, unable to reinstall
    Windows if I wipe the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm putting this under "Download, install, & activate," though I am unsure whether this is the correct board. Does the post have to match all 3 of those? Just one? Anywho, thanks in advance.

jjterp, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Windowz10 Win User
    This IS the accurate statement, and this is what they mean exactly:

When you did the Windows 10 free upgrade, it saved your old OS things in backup folders on your hard drive. For up to 30 days from the time you upgraded to Windows 10 you may undo the upgrade and restore back to your original OS.

However, if you "reset the computer" this means doing a fresh install of Windows 10 which many people want. That would wipe out your saved prior OS stuff and thus you can never go back to your prior OS. Thus the upgrade cannot be undone.

The confusion here is reset is not the same as restore.

Reset means to wipe everything out and create a clean installation.

Restore means to move back to your prior OS.

Windowz10, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Thanks for the answers! I did the reset and it's running a lot smoother now, and no more programs failing to activate.

TheDonutCometh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear.

1. I want to do a system reset, but the on-screen warning is unclear. - Similar Threads - system reset screen

2. unclear billing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unclear billing: Hello, I am getting billed for a "Microsoft Subscription msbill.info" but I have no idea what it is for exactly. Please contact me asap. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unclear-billing/302854ce-540b-4a92-8380-657eccbd5974
  3. unclear billing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unclear billing: Hello, I am getting billed for a "Microsoft Subscription msbill.info" but I have no idea what it is for exactly. Please contact me asap. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unclear-billing/302854ce-540b-4a92-8380-657eccbd5974
  4. PC constantly blue screening/black screening, cause unclear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC constantly blue screening/black screening, cause unclear: Minidumps are at https://www.mediafire.com/file/g9feln3yqk2dpzr/md.rar/file Any help will be much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-constantly-blue-screeningblack-screening-cause/0bb44d02-0376-4be7-8181-d3199e48cbc7
  5. I want to do a system backup on demand

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I want to do a system backup on demand: I see I can backup Windows 10 to an external drive e.g. an SD card, but the options are minutes to daily. I want to backup to my SD card on demand; I use the SD card slot for other purposes and will not always have my backup SD with me. I do not want to use One drive for...
  6. I want to do reset my pc but im not sure which reset to do

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to do reset my pc but im not sure which reset to do: I feel like my pc has so much random things on it and I didn’t stay organized so I want to reset it. I don’t want to keep any of the old files I want it to be fresh, but I also want to keep the same windows login that I have now. Should I do reset this pc or fresh start?...
  7. SYSTEM WARNING

in Windows 10 Customization
    SYSTEM WARNING: All of a sudden I get this pop up message: Then it goes to a program to download: OneSafe PC Cleaner. Should I worry about this? And how do I stop it this message from popping up.[ATTACH]...
  8. I got a system Warning! pop up see screen shot below. Is this warning legit?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I got a system Warning! pop up see screen shot below. Is this warning legit?: Is this warning legit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-system-warning-pop-up-see-screen-shot/8bc1caa8-2b53-46e2-9e0a-5e96846f4f7a
  9. will not do system reset,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    will not do system reset,: error code 0x80072F76-19630x20016 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/will-not-do-system-reset/cf4000b8-2798-452b-93c4-93f2f5f5616a
  10. Graphics generate unclear message from system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics generate unclear message from system: Win 10 1803 64 bit. Particularly in Irfan View, but also in MS Pictures, and some printing activities, the message will appear and the image or message can not be transferred, internally or externally: "The data area passed to a system call is too small" Searching on the Web...