Windows 10: I Want To Make A Portable Version Of Microsoft Paint

Discus and support I Want To Make A Portable Version Of Microsoft Paint in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, so what I've heard is that Microsoft will be removing MS Paint from the "C:\Windows\System32" folder and placing this app in the Windows Store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pepanee, Sep 7, 2017.

1. pepanee Win User

I Want To Make A Portable Version Of Microsoft Paint

Hello, so what I've heard is that Microsoft will be removing MS Paint from the "C:\Windows\System32" folder and placing this app in the Windows Store instead. I have certain functions that are 'dependent' on MS Paint being a simple ".exe" file that opens.

I am not intending to sound rude or anything here, but once MS Paint ends up as an app from the Windows Store, it will become slightly "junkified". I don't want that. I want the original exe file to open at such a fast speed and a very simple app.

So this is what I tried to do: I copied mspaint.exe from the System32 folder to the Desktop to check to see if the app works outside of the folder, but of course, it didn't. I get an error: Unable to create new document.

I want to make a copy of mspaint.exe on my backup drive to be able to use once it is no longer in the System32 folder. Does anyone know what other files are dependent on mspaint.exe that causes it to make that error? I'm assuming that there is at least one file (maybe more) that also resides in the System32 folder that mspaint.exe is dependent on. Anyone know what files they are?

Thanks

:)

pepanee, Sep 7, 2017
  2. morgan789 Win User

I want to make a contact list out of a distribution list, how do I do that?

if you would be more clear will be really helpful

morgan789, Sep 7, 2017
  3. I want to make a contact list out of a distribution list, how do I do that?

I am trying to create an outlook phone list in the contacts folder. I have created a distribution list with all the names that I want I just need to know how to use the distribution list to make individual contacts.

SarahWiddecomb, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

That's unlikely to be the problem. The System32 folder is in the PATH, so Paint should be able to find what it wants from wherever it is launched.

FWIW, an mspaint.exe copied from Windows XP does run on its own. The one from Windows 7 however has the same 'Unable to create document' error.

Bree, Sep 7, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    Darn... I wish Microsoft really kept their XP design. That was the BEST operating system that they released. It was reliable, and functioned 100% correctly all the time. It may not have looked as pretty as Windows does right now, but it was so awesome. Any ideas of how I can keep that exe and use that after the new update comes out?

pepanee, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Bree, Sep 7, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Thanks for that link:

I tried copying all the dll files to that same folder where I put mspaint at, yet I still get the same error. I'm gonna look around on the internet some more on alternate methods to fix this.

pepanee, Sep 7, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Found it! The answer is here...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mspaint/com...ackup_mspaint/

What you need in addition to mspaint.exe is a copy of mspaint.exe.mui from the System32\EN-US folder (or whatever is your installed language, mine needed EN-GB). Create an EN-US (or whatever) subfolder in the same folder as your copy of mspaint.exe and put a copy of mspaint.exe.mui in it.

Bree, Sep 7, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Your post got here before I got done but I copied mspaint.ex_ from my WinXP CD and used 7-Zip to decompress it then copied to a Thumb drive and can run it. [The .ex_ or anything with _ on the extension indicated compression 'back in the day'.] But it appears to use some of Win10's support and Help, About shows Win10. I recompressed it as a .zip if wanting to try.
    mspaint.zip

Berton, Sep 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes, I was around 'back in the day' too. For future reference, Windows 10 includes the command line utility EXPAND.EXE which still supports all the old compression methods, including the renaming function.

11. Berton Win User
    Apparently I misread the Subject as wanting to run Paint from a Thumb drive, not back it up. I didn't bother about Expand as 7-Zip is set to handle all types of compressed files.

Berton, Sep 7, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Actually, Win10's mspaint.exe accompanied by the appropriate subfolder with the .mui will run quite happily from a thumb drive too.

Edit: I've just tested that by putting the 32-bit version from one system onto a thumb drive and sucessfully ran it on my x64 system.

13. pepanee Win User

Awesome! Thank you so much Bree. I copied the ms paint exe file, and the en-us folder with the exe.mui file and it worked. I was hoping that I can water down the size of that en-us folder, and yes, I figured that I only needed that exe.mui file instead of that 40mb folder. And it works! Thanks so much.

Thanks for the suggestion Berton, but that is the old paint. I tried your zip file and it's the old school version.

pepanee, Sep 8, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    Right, Post #2 mentions WinXP and your Subject line mentions Portable, they go together.

Berton, Sep 8, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    It's a good backup plan in case MS change things so much that the latest mspaint stops working.

Thema:

1. I Want To Make A Portable Version Of Microsoft Paint - Similar Threads - Portable Version Microsoft

2. I want an old version of a MS PAINT file back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want an old version of a MS PAINT file back.: I had a paint file with a lot of hard work poured into it, and turns out, the new layer feature didn't warn me about disabled layers and how they'd delete themselves, and I lose SO much work thanks to this. Is there some god-forsaken way i could bring it back no matter what??...
  3. I want an old version of a MS PAINT file back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want an old version of a MS PAINT file back.: I had a paint file with a lot of hard work poured into it, and turns out, the new layer feature didn't warn me about disabled layers and how they'd delete themselves, and I lose SO much work thanks to this. Is there some god-forsaken way i could bring it back no matter what??...
  4. Microsoft Paint 3D - Remove references to older version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Paint 3D - Remove references to older version: Looking for some advice. I have ran a vulnerability scan on one of my laptops, which has windows 11 Professional Version 21H2. The scan results shows that I have an old version of MS Paint 3d installed. version 1.0.46.0, and the recommendation is that I update to the newest...
  5. Microsoft Paint 3D - Remove references to older version

Microsoft Paint 3D - Remove references to older version: Looking for some advice. I have ran a vulnerability scan on one of my laptops, which has windows 11 Professional Version 21H2. The scan results shows that I have an old version of MS Paint 3d installed. version 1.0.46.0, and the recommendation is that I update to the newest...
  6. Every version of Paint

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every version of Paint: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/human1s [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ot8zlo/every_version_of_paint/
  7. Is there a portable version of MBAM?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there a portable version of MBAM?: I would prefer a portable version, but if I have to, I'll download the .exe version of MalwareBytes. Just don't want anything sideloaded when I install. 163854
  8. Is there a portable or at least unbloated version of MBAM?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there a portable or at least unbloated version of MBAM?: I would prefer a portable version, but if I have to, I'll download the .exe version of MalwareBytes. Just don't want anything sideloaded when I install. 163854
  9. how do i make windows 10 portable

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i make windows 10 portable: Ive heard something about being able to clone windows 10 to a USB to use on older computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-windows-10-portable/9490b514-087c-43f7-8c40-82a457a77ad9
  10. Microsoft Paint and Paint 3D

Microsoft Paint and Paint 3D: I really don't know what y'all did to break them, but since the last Windows 10 update, the select and crop functions in both Paint and Paint 3D are broken. I can't select a portion of the image without the selection box skittering across the screen, basically rendering the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. portable ms paint