Windows 10: I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

Discus and support I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chemie, Nov 12, 2015.

1. chemie Win User

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as GPT install per above?

Edit: Also, does the BIOS need to be changed or does it figure it out MBR vs GPT? (I have an older BIOS which is supposed to support GPT but I know does not support protected)

:)

chemie, Nov 12, 2015
  2. cdubski Win User

Is there a straightforward way to convert my hard disk from ntfs to gpt to upgrade to Win 10?

I am using Win7 using NTFS (MBR) hard drive, but I understand I must have GPT partition to install Win 10. Is that true? If so, I must upgrade to Win10 from WIn7. Is there a straightforward way to convert from a MBR to GPT, or do I have to start from
    scratch with my hard drive, reload Win7 and then upgrade? I tried unsuccessfully to upgrsade to Win10 using the ISO, but keep getting error
    0xC1900101-0x20017

Please advise. Thanks.

cdubski, Nov 12, 2015
  3. After Windows10 Upgrade missing Disk Space & drive H

Yes, i needed the Acronis driver to bring back the visible harddrive space (*win10 safe mode). after that i transfer all my data to an other drive an formated the harddrive again @ GPT Mode. The drive was orginally formated under Master Boot Record (*MBR).

Win10 has no problems to use harddrives over 2TB if them formated under GPT Mode,

The Win7 driver beyond 2TB works under win10 safe mode. So if u start win10 under safe mode, install the driver then and you can see the full space. its a chance to see the visible harddrive parts and safe the data and re-formate @ GPT.

MBR works not over 2TB

BenniBunny, Nov 12, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

might have to look around in the BIOS for an option to enable UEFI boot mode. Look under the Boot tab because it's usually there. If the motherboard supports it, I don't see any reason why it would not be enabled by default.

5. YOU
    You Win User
    To upgrade Windows 7 to 10, have to switch to GPT before upgrading or upgrade and switch to MBR after install Windows 10.

6. chemie Win User
    I have "legacy ROM" and "EFI Rom" which I hope will enable GPT support but that was not really my question. It was how to enable the GPT for a fresh install (ie when do I need to enbale the BIOS)

chemie, Nov 12, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    You need to enable EFI support, boot from windows setup media in EFI mode, delete every MBR partition, and allow windows setup to install GPT partitions to the unallocated disk space..

8. chemie Win User

The installation media DVD that was created is MBR format so how will the system boot if I set GPT before installation?

Can I leave BIOS to MBR, boot, install using GPT (following this sites instructions) and later change BIOS to GPT to boot new installation?

chemie, Nov 12, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Use the Media creation tool - and create a bootable USB stick...

If you look at the media files - you will see "bootmgr" and "bootmgr.efi"

To boot EFI you need a FAT32 Format USB

You may even need to go into your "BootMenu" (F12) and select the uefi boot device

You can try the CONVERT Method...

Kyhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10 - Similar Threads - move MBR Win7

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  4. I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...

I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...: I just finished loading everything and setting up my new win10 computer. I change my bios setting from Legacy to UEFI and convert boot hard drive from MBR to GPT. Can I change the BIOS to UEFI, boot DOS form a USB, reformat the boot HD using diskpart to GPT, and then...
  5. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .: I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work. At this point, I've...
  6. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  7. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  8. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  9. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....
  10. Win10(GPT) / Win7(MBR) dual boot BIOS settings (Gigabyte Z170m-D3H)

Win10(GPT) / Win7(MBR) dual boot BIOS settings (Gigabyte Z170m-D3H): I'd like to apologise in advance as this is probably completely newb to many of you. On the newegg page at the bottom of the review tab dated 8/25/2015 12:06:28 PM, Anonymous author stated: Other Thoughts: I'm not sure if other OEM's have this feature, but the UEFI...