Windows 10: I want to put six partions into one

Discus and support I want to put six partions into one in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Some how my son's laptop has 6 partions (3 unallowcated) when there should only be the 3 original ones. Is there any cause for concern or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fabian70, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Fabian70 Win User

I want to put six partions into one

Hi
    Some how my son's laptop has 6 partions (3 unallowcated) when there should only be the 3 original ones.

Is there any cause for concern or should I just leave them as they are.

Thanks.

Fabian .*Huh

:)

Fabian70, Sep 2, 2017

2. Fix " User profile cannot be loaded"

I have finally arrived at windows setup..

But ,in one step(Which type of installation do you want?)

there are two options...

1) upgrade (it was unsuccesfull)

2) Custom:

And here I am unable to choose which drive to install

Here is what it looks like:Guide me plz

total. Free. Type

space space

Drive 0 Partion 1

|260MB|170MB|System

Drive 0 Partion 2

|16 MB|16MB|MSR(reserved)

Drive 0 Partion 3:Windows

|27.9 GB|1 GB |primary

Drive 0 Partion 4:Windows RE tools

|979 MB|652 MB|recovery

Drive 1 Partion 1:Windows USB

|7.5 GB. | 3.1 GB|primary

It also warns: drive 0 partion 1 cant install windows

plz guide me which to format and where to install

*I dont want any of my files and application*

I just want is a clean windows

ProsisShrestha, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Cannot Boot Windows 10

Hello!

I was trying to setup a linux partion becouse i wanted on basicly. When i was doing that i tried to allocate 100GB to the new linux partion but in the linux installer it said that my partion was less than 4.4 GB large and that i need a larger partion. I
    opened gprated and tried to look there. It looks like the partion was only 1mb in there. I found another 100GB Partion in there so i thought that that partion must be the right one. and it said that it was on my G Drive and so i thought that i must be the
    one! sike! thats what you thought! It was in my C drive. And now windows does not start becouse i tried to format the partion. however i did not partion my entire computer i don't think. I can still get a screen basicly telling me that windows is screwd. But
    on that screen i noduced something talking about how my computer is locked. so maybe i still have my account and can get to some of my files still!. Or not. Probably not.

Can i atleast restore some of my files to a usb or something like that?

KasperDanielsson, Sep 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, firstly if yours is a UEFI installation of Windows 10, these are the 4 partitions you should have (note the 16Mb one is not shown in Disk Management by design):

I want to put six partions into one [​IMG]

Secondly, your PC might have a large Recovery partition which is used if you wish to restore your PC to an 'as bought' state.

Thirdly, it is excellent practice to use one or more partitions so your personal data, music, photos etc is NOT on C: with Windows.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    If you post a screenshot from disk Management we can then advise you

Samuria, Sep 2, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Sep 2, 2017
  7. lindum Win User
    Hi
    And thank you all for your replies. I've downloaded Screenpresso as msny suggested and attached a screen shot of the Disk Management Window.

It now transpires that my son (After my wife's brutal interrogation methods ?) installed Kali Linux and promptly forgot the the host name and password. He's usually quite bright. Anyway he tried to unsuccessfully uninstall it and now were here.

I've tried to reset the laptop to factory settings, but it says there's a problem and it wont carry out the procedure.

Hope I uploaded the screenshot OK.

Thanks a lot.

Michael
    ()

lindum, Sep 2, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Thanks for posting that, Michael, but you need to expand the "Status" column in order for us to see that information. Grab the line next to that word when the curser changes then holding down the left mouse button and dragging left.

Tony K, Sep 2, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    You have a 140 meg free space everything to the right of that can be deleted and you can then expand drive c all of them are empty recovery has only a few meg so not enough to actually do anything

Samuria, Sep 2, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Your supposed manufacturer's Recovery partition (D) at 360Mb is far too small to be a valid recovery partition, so you can discard that too. That's why your attempt at restoring it to factory settings won't work, if that's what you were attempting.

The 486 Mb Recovery partition to the right of C: is part of the OS set of partitions, assuming your OS is intact and fully functional.

dalchina, Sep 2, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would do what @Samuria suggested. Delete every partition to the right of the C: drive partition until it is just one big unallocated space after C: drive. Then you can either expand C: drive to fill the rest of the drive. Or you can expand C: drive, but leave space at the end of the drive for a data partition to hold photos, music, movies, documents, whatever. You can easily leave 400 - 500 GB free at the end for that. Then in the 400-500 GB free space create the data partition formatted as NTFS. It would probably get drive letter D:

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
  12. lindum Win User
    Hi All
    I've tried to follow what everybody has told me here and partly re-arranged the partions into some kind of order, well, better than it was. But I still have a partion at the far right showing 34.39 GB, but I deleted this and expanded C, but it just got smaller and staid.

The laptop is a bit more responsive and boots slightly faster, but not fast enough considering what I paid for it.

Bye the way my wife, who's a member of our local terror group (The WI) brought home an old Dell laptop they were using to keep records of meetings and gave it to our son saying that's yours now and dad can use the one you messed up, for his work. Should have seen the look on his face, it was classic.

Anyway I've attached a shot (Snipping Tool) of the partions and look forward to hearing your comments.

Thnks.

Michael.

lindum, Sep 4, 2017
  13. lindum Win User

I blame it on my age.

Sorry I didn't include the image, I was in a rush to catch the bus.

Michael.

lindum, Sep 4, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, something's happened to the Windows Recovery partition (450Mb) I mentioned. That provides the automatic recovery sequence (which rarely succeeds) and the ability to boot to a Command Prompt, System Restore, Startup Repair.

I don't know what your 70.47Gb Recovery partition is- perhaps that is it, but why it's so large I've no idea.

You need to decide if D: is still useful- would you ever want to restore the machine to 'as bought'? If not, you can delete it, else move it to the end of your disk, so to speak (to the right). You can do that with a partition manager.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2017
  15. Gordon7 Win User
    It look like he followed NavyLCDR's suggestions: (post #9)

Delete every partition to the right of the C: drive partition until it is just one big unallocated space after C: drive. Then you can either expand C: drive to fill the rest of the drive. Or you can expand C: drive, but leave space at the end of the drive for a data partition to hold photos, music, movies, documents, whatever. You can easily leave 400 - 500 GB free at the end for that. Then in the 400-500 GB free space create the data partition formatted as NTFS. It would probably get drive letter D:

Not the best choice!

Gordon7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I want to put six partions into one - Similar Threads - put six partions

2. Partions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partions: I have an unused copy of windows 10, partitioned, taking up space on SSD drive. How do I delete this copy of windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partions/d763401f-cd1e-48b6-8cfd-f4e9db5cc2e9
  3. Partions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partions: I have an unused copy of windows 10, partitioned, taking up space on SSD drive. How do I delete this copy of windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partions/d763401f-cd1e-48b6-8cfd-f4e9db5cc2e9
  4. Partions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Puzzled by Partioning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Puzzled by Partioning: I'm juggling (balancing) space allocated to several partitions, and was curious about the system partitions I'm seeing... I mounted a few of these to see what they involved... [img] Here's what I saw (please correct, and fill in the gaps of my understanding SYSTEM: This is...
  6. Puzzled by Partioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Puzzled by Partioning: I'm juggling (balancing) space allocated to several partitions, and was curious about the system partitions I'm seeing... I mounted a few of these to see what they involved... [img] Here's what I saw (please correct, and fill in the gaps of my understanding SYSTEM: This is...
  7. SSD drive one partion not accessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD drive one partion not accessible: I am using window 10 and suddenly one partition E partion i am not able to access. I plugged in ssd drive to my USB port to check after that this problem stated. It displayed E:\ is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified. When I right click on this...
  8. Partions help

in Windows 10 Support
    Partions help: A few days ago i lost everything on my computer, still not sure why ! Now i have these partition's ..... is there any way i can open them and look to see if my whole system that i lost pictures,file & documents are on one of them ??? And can i get them back if i find it ???...
  9. Move Office 2010 from one partion to another

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Move Office 2010 from one partion to another: Is it possible to move Office 2010 from Windows 8 on C:\ to Windows 10 on E:\? 98550
  10. partioning/formating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    partioning/formating: I resized my win10 500gb hdd --should I format the unallocated space now or when I go to use it? 52542