Windows 10: I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth??

Discus and support I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth?? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; so i was going to use Tor browser to try it out and so forth and i found this wired article on the net any truth to this if so i stay they heck away... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Tonyb, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Tonyb Win User

I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth??

so i was going to use Tor browser to try it out and so forth and i found this wired article on the net any truth to this if so i stay they heck away from Tor browser here is the link If You Use Tor Browser, The FBI Just Labeled You a Criminal

:)

Tonyb, Dec 21, 2017

2. Making Tor Browser as default browser and configuring VPN (Windows 10)

It didn't work.

This is what I did.

I uninstalled Tor Browser and reinstalled it. When prompted to ask where to save it, I saved it here. C:/Users/Hewlett/AppData/Local/Tor Browser/Browser/firefox.exe

So all the files that comes with the installation of Tor Browser bundle are in AppData/Local.

Then. I opened Notepad, copy-pasted the contents and changed the path as instructed from C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe to C:\\Users\\Hewlett\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe

(Note: The line that I changed actually says "C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0" so I changed it to "C:\\Users\\Hewlett\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0"

I saved it using the extension .reg. Afterwards, I double-clicked the icon of the reg file hopingto run it. I restarted my computer hoping that it works.

But still, Tor Browser was not in the list of "set as default programs".

NOTE: These are the contents that I copy-pasted. (Beginning from the line that says "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00")

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Infamous capabilities:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities]

"ApplicationDescription"="Tor Browser - Anonymity Online"

"ApplicationIcon"="C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0"

"ApplicationName"="Tor Browser"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities\FileAssociations]

".htm"="TorBrowserURL"

".html"="TorBrowserURL"

".shtml"="TorBrowserURL"

".xht"="TorBrowserURL"

".xhtml"="TorBrowserURL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities\URLAssociations]

"ftp"="TorBrowserURL"

"http"="TorBrowserURL"

"https"="TorBrowserURL"

; Register to Default Programs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications]

"Tor Browser"="Software\\Tor Browser\\Capabilities"

; TorBrowserURL HANDLER:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL]

@="Tor Browser Document"

"FriendlyTypeName"="Tor Browser Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""

Hewlett Packard III, Dec 21, 2017
  3. Making Tor Browser as default browser and configuring VPN (Windows 10)

Open Notepad, copy the REG file contents from the StackExchange link. Alter the path to Tor's executable.

Change the path from:

C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe

to the actual path of Tor browser's executable.

For example, in my system, the location could be something like:

C:\\Users\\Ramesh\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe

Be sure to include the double-slashes as in the source example. REG file format needs double slashes.

(If you don't know the path, right-click the Tor browser's shortcut and click Properties. It has the full path.)

Once the changes are made, save the file with .REG extension, say "tor.reg" in your Desktop. You've now created a .reg file, which when double-clicked, will apply the settings to the registry.

Close and open Default Programs > Set your default programs. It should now list "Tor".

Note: Thanks for your post. I'm definitely going to try "Tor".

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 21, 2017
  4. Datapod Win User

The way I read this the only change is where Law Enforcement has to go to obtain a warrant.

Must be in the jurisdiction in which the computer is located (old rule) vs. May be in any jurisdiction if the computer is sporting anonymity software. (new rule)

I think the "headline" is purposefully inflammatory and disingenuous.

OTOH I'm no lawyer.

D

Datapod, Dec 21, 2017
  5. Just my opinion.

Because Tor is what I call, Black search engine which many times is used for illegal reasons. I'm in the belief that it is monitored by law enforcement even more than other search engines.
    I believe that law enforcement can monitor and trace things when Tor is being used. They just don't publicize that fact.

Nothing I can prove, just my thoughts.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 21, 2017
  6. Just my opinion.

Because Tor is what I call, Black search engine which many times is used for illegal reasons. I'm in the belief that it is monitored by law enforcement even more than other search engines.
    I believe that law enforcement can monitor and trace things when Tor is being used. They just don't publicize that fact.
    Tor will never be on one of my system.

Nothing I can prove, just my thoughts.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 21, 2017
  7. TOR was created, funded and most nodes are still operated by US government, but it is OK to use for a basic privacy.

TairikuOkami, Dec 21, 2017
  8. Tonyb Win User

aw thats why they can get into it and do the things they do LOL i never have used it but was going to try it out, but then i seen that article i wonder how much truth there is to it though. but it looks like it only changes how they get a warrant like Datapod
    said.

Tonyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth?? - Similar Threads - was going Tor

2. Why can't i install a tor browser on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't i install a tor browser on windows 10?: I've been trying to install a tor browser onto my windows 10 but keeps telling me that i need to get x64 or x86 compatible app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-install-a-tor-browser-on-windows-10/67a3c716-598f-4fbb-a7d8-2d589f80078f
  3. Why can't i install a tor browser on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't i install a tor browser on windows 10?: I've been trying to install a tor browser onto my windows 10 but keeps telling me that i need to get x64 or x86 compatible app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-install-a-tor-browser-on-windows-10/67a3c716-598f-4fbb-a7d8-2d589f80078f
  4. Why can't i install a tor browser on windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or another browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  6. Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...

Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or another browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  7. Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or other browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  8. Downloading Tor Browser, going to Settings in Storage and it closes due to an error?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading Tor Browser, going to Settings in Storage and it closes due to an error?: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or other browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  9. Downloading Tor Browser, going to Settings in Storage and it closes due to an error?

Downloading Tor Browser, going to Settings in Storage and it closes due to an error?: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or other browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  10. Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser: Hi there All those who are worried about Edge / IE11 sending stuff to GOOGLE / MS etc etc -- simply use the TOR browser -- 100% legal FREE system. You can also block properly annoying popups etc even when connecting to "Those sites". There's loads of paranoia these days...