Windows 10: I would like to reset all my event logs to default

Discus and support I would like to reset all my event logs to default in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; By mistake, I have executed a wrong command (SL /e:false to disable all event logging instead of clearing it. Got it from another website *Redface).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WTenNewbie, May 30, 2016.

1. I would like to reset all my event logs to default

By mistake, I have executed a wrong command (SL /e:false to disable all event logging instead of clearing it. Got it from another website *Redface).

Now I would like to reset all my event logs to default.
    Has someone an idea, how I could apply the steps from this article:
    Reset an event log to default settings: Management Services (which is for Windows Server only!)
    to my Windows 10 machine?

:)

WTenNewbie, May 30, 2016

2. I would like to connect all my computers on my network and share some folders so I can transfer some files to and from as simply as possible.

Hi Kartz,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

- What type of connection are you using? Is it a Wi-Fi or Wireless connections?

Create a Workgroup as it can be created without password.

Workgroups provide a basis for file and printer sharing, but they don't actually set up sharing for you.

Follow the below steps and check if this helps :

• Open System by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping
      Search
      (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking
      Search), entering System in the search box, and tapping or clicking
      System.
    • Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, tap or click Change settings.

I would like to reset all my event logs to default [​IMG]
       You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
    • In the System Properties dialog box, tap or click the
      Computer Name
      tab, and then tap or click Change.
    • In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under
      Member of
      , tap or click Workgroup, and then do one of the following:
      • To join an existing workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then tap or click
        OK.
      • To create a new workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then tap or click
        OK.

Refer the below steps for further assistance, we are here to assist you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 also.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we are here to assist you.

Akheel Ahmed, May 30, 2016
  3. I would like to transfer all of my pictures to a flash.

Thank you.

This was helpful.

Doug Sands, May 30, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I would like to reset all my event logs to default

WTenNewbie... what was the exact command you entered, the full command?

f14tomcat, May 30, 2016
  5. Code: for /f "delims=" %%a in ('WEVTUTIL EL') do WEVTUTIL SL "%%a" /e:false[/quote] I get dozens of errors, if I try the same line with ... /e:true

WTenNewbie, May 30, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, May 31, 2016
  7. [/quote] Is this command in a batch file or are you entering it in Command Prompt?

I would expect errors if you try to enter it in Command Prompt

In a batch file

for /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%%a"
    Typed in Command Prompt

for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"
    Note the difference in the percent signs (batch=%% ... typed=%)
    The difference in the variable names 1 and a is irrelevant, they could both be anything else x, y, or z.

Your example seems to have missed something - the asterisk
    for /f "delims=" %%a
    should be
    for /f "delims=*" %%a

I'm not sure you actually changed anything - but if you saw things did get changed, then I would just enable everything. Why? Because I don't know the defaults for all of the event listeners ... maybe another member knows.

Slartybart, May 31, 2016
  8. I would like to reset all my event logs to default

A command in a batch file. The main difference is the SL (set-log) instead of CL (clear-log).
    Enable everything is - as mentioned - not possible due to the many errrors.

WTenNewbie, May 31, 2016
  9. Thanks
    I guess that's what I'm saying then - if Enable everything is impossible due to the errors, then the Disable Everything failed the same way. I can't tell from this side of your monitor.

You might want to check a few categories to see if they are enabled or disabled
    In event Viewer,
    Right-click the log (operational),
    Select Properties
    If Enable Logging is checked, then the disable that you ran did not take effect due to the errors.

I would like to reset all my event logs to default [​IMG]

Good eyes - I missed that subtle but important distinction *Redface

Did try it with the correct selection criteria?

"delims=*"

If you still get errors, please post a screen shot or copy the output from the Command Prompt window
    - thanks

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I would like to reset all my event logs to default

1. I would like to reset all my event logs to default - Similar Threads - reset event logs

2. My background is black. I would like for it to be in the original default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My background is black. I would like for it to be in the original default: My background is black. I would like it restored to the original default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-background-is-black-i-would-like-for-it-to-be/c11f9e4f-c003-47b4-b4c7-83c31c57980a
  3. My background is black. I would like for it to be in the original default

in Windows 10 Customization
    My background is black. I would like for it to be in the original default: My background is black. I would like it restored to the original default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-background-is-black-i-would-like-for-it-to-be/c11f9e4f-c003-47b4-b4c7-83c31c57980a
  4. My background is black. I would like for it to be in the original default

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Would the event logs would show what services I had turned off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would the event logs would show what services I had turned off?: I turned off the services and don't remember which ones. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/would-the-event-logs-would-show-what-services-i/53765853-a18c-42bd-be97-ff78f75eeb73
  6. When I logging in to windows I always see a message like "An app default was reset".

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I logging in to windows I always see a message like "An app default was reset".: I yesterday got a problem with windows store. finally, it was fixed. Then this happened.This is the message. This happened to all the default app selections in my pc.This is my about screen....
  7. Deleting All Event Logs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Deleting All Event Logs: I know that the event logs are stored here: C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs Can you just delete the logs that are present in this folder? Or do you have to do it another way so Windows 10 doesn't error out? 164124
  8. [HELP] I would like to factory reset my LAPTOP

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    [HELP] I would like to factory reset my LAPTOP: I got bumped into this one video on YouTube which says that I should do before using a new laptop. It introduces me to Macrium Reflect. New laptop users should always save a snapshot of the factory-configured laptop (without windows updates) so you could always start fresh...
  9. Program I would like to use as default not listed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program I would like to use as default not listed: I have a program I would like to use for photos, PDFs, jpegs, tifs and pngs called "BlueBeam". When I try to use this program as a default, Windows will not list it or even give me an opportunity to search my hardware and select it. How do I fix that ? *Think 56165
  10. Would like to override default font in dialog.

in Windows 10 Support
    Would like to override default font in dialog.: Would anyone happen to know how to override the default font used in a "generic" Open Folder dialog? I've read about the default fonts for MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg 2 ... and have tried to substitute Tahoma in the registry for both. Nothing changed in this dialog ......