Windows 10: i3 to i5?

Discus and support i3 to i5? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, is it possible to swap an i3 (Acer 5741 i3-350-M) to an i5 (Acer 5751 which I think is a i5-2450 )? Is this feasible please? Many thanks! 95515 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by winchesterstoke, Oct 15, 2017.

1. i3 to i5?

Hi, is it possible to swap an i3 (Acer 5741 i3-350-M) to an i5 (Acer 5751 which I think is a i5-2450 )?

Is this feasible please?

Many thanks!

:)

winchesterstoke, Oct 15, 2017

2. WP7 Ringtone Issue

Hello evolutionqy7,

Can you share more details about the device you are using?

Best Regards

Martin V.

i3 to i5? [​IMG]

i3 to i5? [​IMG]

i3 to i5? [​IMG]

i3 to i5? [​IMG]

Martin V. - WP7 Support, Oct 15, 2017
  3. P Meister Win User
    Windows 10 slow, clunky, all browsers slow or crash

using an intel i3 with a Gigabyte board on the desktop and an Intel i3 on a Dell OEM board on the laptop

P Meister, Oct 15, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

i3 to i5?

Depends.....what's it going in?

Plankton, Oct 15, 2017
  5. Hi, into an i5-2450: I can take the i5 from the laptop which isn't working (mechanical rather than processor problem), and replace it with another Acer which seems very similar (Acer Aspire 5741 and 5751)?

winchesterstoke, Oct 15, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    We need the make/model of mobo/cpu combo that it's coming out of and make/model of mobo it's going into.

You want to replace the cpu in a laptop? If so, you'll need to find the laptops specification sheet and see what (if any) CPU upgrades are allowed. Most of the time, the CPU upgrade on laptop is negligible at best but it can be done.

Plankton, Oct 15, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    I don't know.

If they are socketed CPUs, they will be pin compatible. Whether the older laptop's BIOS would support the newer CPU, I can't guess.

If they are soldered on, they are different BGAs, so you couldn't swap them even if you had the means of dealing with the solder.

bobkn, Oct 15, 2017
  8. i3 to i5?

Really appreciate the help.

I don't have much more detail than the original post. The i5 won't start and most of the details on the back is too old and a bit crap! The i3 is a laptop I was considering to purchase.

It looks like the there's a small chance I could get the i5 into the i3 laptop without too much work - but a very small chance.
    Also the Acers are a bit on the cheap side, so I suspect any old laptop may a bit 'challenging' too.

Again, cheers for providing some help!

winchesterstoke, Oct 16, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    Without detailed product information, which is critical for what you are wanting to do, we can't provide adequate advice. Any attempt to do so will result in bricking/frying the CPU and or mobo.

As bobkn stated, you need to know the socket type, mobo make/model. Then you can find out what hardware upgrades if any are possible. Then making sure there is any firmware available for mobo/cpu compatibility, if any at all. If all that is possible then the tear down and re-installation of new hardware then the firmware install. This is a big task for anyone.

Plankton, Oct 16, 2017
  10. Thanks plankton. I think you're right. It's just too risky and I think I'd probably end up with nothing working *Sad.

Appreciate your advice and I think I'll leave this as 'not doable'. Thanks

winchesterstoke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

i3 to i5?