Windows 10: Icon at top left of desktop

Discus and support Icon at top left of desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] This icon used to be in the form of a folder, but I deleted it and it's come back as a piece of paper. I haven't a clue as to what it's for,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

Icon at top left of desktop

Icon at top left of desktop [​IMG]

This icon used to be in the form of a folder, but I deleted it and it's come back as a piece of paper. I haven't a clue as to what it's for, because when I click on it, nothing happens.

Anyone else getting this?

:)

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015

2. Green icon in top left of screen

Hi, no Nokia Email gave up working last week. It worked fine for a couple of months and then it started to say that i had to enter a password (which i never had to do before). I tried reinstalling via the Ovi shop, but the reinstalled version just says that
    it cannot connect to the server and that i should try again later. I never changed any settings or anything, it just stopped working during the night.

Emoze has started to work on my phone again though.

It's all very mysterious

caliico_jack100, Feb 5, 2015
  3. Green icon in top left of screen

when typing in passwords ensure you are not using predictive text this is the same for logging in to websites they cant recognise the password that way

does nokia messaging not work?

techbuzzireland, Feb 5, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Can you Restore it from the Recycle Bin?

Edwin, Feb 5, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    Can you Restore it from the Recycle Bin? Doesn't look like it, Edwin. I've searched and found a lot of files I know I didn't delete off this computer, so I think Windows 10 is pulling a Windows 8 thing; if it's on one computer, it'll be on the other one too. *Sad

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Can you Restore it from the Recycle Bin? Doesn't look like it, Edwin. I've searched and found a lot of files I know I didn't delete off this computer, so I think Windows 10 is pulling a Windows 8 thing; if it's on one computer, it'll be on the other one too. *Sad Looks suspiciously like a .txt file.... see attched. Can you r-click and get to properties, etc?

f14tomcat, Feb 5, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Can you Restore it from the Recycle Bin? Doesn't look like it, Edwin. I've searched and found a lot of files I know I didn't delete off this computer, so I think Windows 10 is pulling a Windows 8 thing; if it's on one computer, it'll be on the other one too. *Sad Looks suspiciously like a .txt file.... see attched. Can you r-click and get to properties, etc? Nope. *Eek It's gone!

I just came in and booted up and it's gone! I had right clicked on it before, but nothing happened then, but I was gonna right click again. The joys of Technical Previews! Drives a sober gal to *Drink1

Wynona, Feb 5, 2015
  8. Casey R Win User

I used to get a "Homegroup" icon on my desktop in win 8.1 every once in a while that couldn't be deleted or dragged to the recycle bin and opened nothing, but right clicking and hitting "refresh" made it disappear. A reboot would extinguish it also. Ain't technology wonderful? Pass the Jameson's.....
    Jim

Casey R, Feb 6, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Looked more like a pointer file: "The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed... ...Do you want to delete this shortcut?" blah, blah, blah.

Edwin, Feb 6, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    Nope, it never said any of that. *Smile

Wynona, Feb 6, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    Restart/reboot is a wonderful thing ,fixes and lot of silly little issues ,always has .for me anyway

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icon at top left of desktop - Similar Threads - Icon top left

2. There's a button on the top left corner of my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    There's a button on the top left corner of my desktop: When it shows up, it removes all the desktop icons, and you can drag it to make a single temporary clone. If you click it after that, it makes an error sound and does nothing. If you click away, the clone disappears, and you can make another clone. But if you click the button...
  3. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?: In this screenshot, I've just noticed that in the very top-left corner of my desktop, there is this arrow made up of blocks. I don't know long that has been there, but I would've noticed earlier what that was. When I hover/click on it, it changes my cursor to the resize icon,...
  4. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?: In this screenshot, I've just noticed that in the very top-left corner of my desktop, there is this arrow made up of blocks. I don't know long that has been there, but I would've noticed earlier what that was. When I hover/click on it, it changes my cursor to the resize icon,...
  5. What is this Icon on the top-left of the Windows 10 Desktop?

6. Grey Rectangle in Top Left Corner of Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grey Rectangle in Top Left Corner of Desktop: I have this weird grey box in the top left of my desktop, I have seen other people who have had this problem and was wondering if I could get an answer. Here's a screenshot:Here's some things I know about it:-It does not appear on startup-When it does appear all desktop icons...
  7. Grey Rectangle in Top Left Corner of Desktop

Grey Rectangle in Top Left Corner of Desktop: I have this weird grey box in the top left of my desktop, I have seen other people who have had this problem and was wondering if I could get an answer. Here's a screenshot:Here's some things I know about it:-It does not appear on startup-When it does appear all desktop icons...
  8. Top left corner icon keeps moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Top left corner icon keeps moving: Ever since i updated from version 1903 the PC icon i have sitting in the top left corner gets moved after every restart. Its been doing the same in 2020 and 20H2 versions, anyone know why and how to stop it doing that? 179409
  9. Desktop Icon at top of screen

Desktop Icon at top of screen: For some reason my recycle bin icon is stuck at the top of my screen. When my cursor moves to the top of the screen a light blue rectangle that stretches across the entire screen shows up. I can not move the icon. I can not drag it. I have tried changing the size, toggling on...
  10. Desktop icons have a "squeeze" sign on the top left

Desktop icons have a "squeeze" sign on the top left: [ATTACH] Most (only except the icon in the picture) of the icons on my system (not only on desktop) have this indication on the top right. What does that mean? How do I remove it?...