Windows 10: Icon Caching Problem

Discus and support Icon Caching Problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folks, I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReginaSkylark, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Icon Caching Problem

Folks,

I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect to work. From what I could tell Shockwave was having an argument with Windows 10. I've tried everything suggested on this board and others for fixing icon caching with no results. Short of reinstalling Windows, I'm out of ideas. I've tried:

1) System Restore
    2) Last good backup (the external hard drive that I was using for backups turned out to be corrupt and toast)
    3) Manually and using .bat files deleting and rebuilding icon cache files
    4) Increasing via regedit the size of icon cache
    5) Replacing iconcache.db with good one
    6) Repairing Windows by in place upgrade

None of these measures have had any effect. Any other ideas?

TIA,

Regina Skylark
    Knoxville, TN
    Windows 10 Pro
    Dell XPS 13 (9350)

:)

ReginaSkylark, Oct 1, 2016

2. After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

I just ran the Thumbnail & Icon Cache Rebuilder tool from:

The Windows Club

Problem Solved!

BeyondNovice, Oct 1, 2016
  3. Sai Chu Win User
    After fall update, Windows 10 puts a maximum size on thumbnail cache and deletes older thumbnails before new ones can be generated

I tried this tool. It works for a couple days, then the thumbnail cache is reset again, so its definitely not a long term solution.

Sai Chu, Oct 1, 2016
  4. pepanee Win User

Icon Caching Problem

Your icon cache files aren't getting deleted because it says you don't have permission to do that. That's probably what's happening; your computer is trying to read those icon caches, yet it doesn't have access to them, hence showing blank icons for all file types.

Have someone help you get access to those folders, then you can run that bat file again, and theoretically speaking, you should get your icons back... that's if I'm correct =)

pepanee, Oct 2, 2016
  5. I neglected to mention that I have ownership of the icon cache files. Why I'm denied access to some of them is puzzling.

ReginaSkylark, Oct 3, 2016
  6. pepanee Win User
    Take ownership of that folder (C:\Users\...\Windows\Explorer), then hopefully it will work.
    Look up on the internet on how to do it, because it takes forever to type that process, my bad. Maybe someone can post how to do that, or you can easily find it on the internet.

pepanee, Oct 4, 2016
  7. shimshom Win User
Thema:

Icon Caching Problem

1. Icon Caching Problem - Similar Threads - Icon Caching Problem

2. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  3. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  4. Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild: Hello, I have recently been experimenting with replacing the icons for the applications on my PC using a program called "Customizergod" and in this process seemed to have removed all the icons in my file explore, desktop, etc. I've tried many solutions such as rebuilding the...
  5. Pin to start menu icon cache

Pin to start menu icon cache: Hey guys, I changed the Google Chrome icon with resource hacker and it changed just about everywhere. Rebuild icon cache and all is well now when i pin it to the start menu its the old icon.. is their a start menu cache icons file I have to remove ? 167021
  6. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  7. Cache problem

Cache problem: I am finding I have to dump my cache at least once a day or web pages don't load properly. Any info/ideas much appreciated. Bob https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cache-problem/59bfbd56-bca9-4811-a177-89cf6a92c3f1
  8. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...
  9. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?: So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I...
  10. Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 10 The icons that display for files in Windows are saved in an icon cache so they can be displayed quickly instead of having to manually scan and slowly load them each time. The icon...