Windows 10: Icon corruption

Discus and support Icon corruption in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a friend who recently upgraded from W8.1 to W10 on an HP laptop. There's been a few glitches since the upgrade; one of which is some icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by avoidz, Jun 18, 2016.

1. avoidz Win User

Icon corruption

Hi, I have a friend who recently upgraded from W8.1 to W10 on an HP laptop. There's been a few glitches since the upgrade; one of which is some icon corruption. Some image files on the desktop that seemed to be fixed by copying and pasting the files and deleting the originals. The Edge icon on the Taskbar is the only broken one left:

Icon corruption [​IMG]

Changing the Taskbar icons to small fixes the Edge icon; increasing the icon sizes fixes it too. 100% size is corrupt.

I've updated the Intel HD and Nvidia display drivers (necessary to fix the laptop's brightness settings after upgrade) to the latest, but that hasn't fixed the icons. Not sure if I should try and rebuild the icon cache or if there's an easier solution.

Any suggestions please? Thanks *Smile

:)

avoidz, Jun 18, 2016

2. corrupted icons

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that your user profile might be corrupted. For us to isolate this further, we suggest creating a new user account. Please check out

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    for the steps in creating a new user account.

Once logged into the new user account, please check if the problem persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 18, 2016
  3. corrupted icons

does that mean, i have reinstall all of the software which are currently in use ???

IIMashiroshiinaII, Jun 18, 2016
  4. Icon corruption

MoxieMomma, Jun 18, 2016
  5. avoidz Win User
    Thanks, I used a method to rebuild the icon cache but it hasn't fixed the missing Edge browser icon. Seems to be corrupted for good. Maybe there's another registry method to replace it?

avoidz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Icon corruption

1. Icon corruption - Similar Threads - Icon corruption

2. Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11: Hello,My desktop computer has the latest update for Windows 11, but sometimes the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. I have rebuilt the thumbnail cache several times, but the problem persists. It happens repeatedly. What could be the reason for this? Due to this issue, I have...
  3. Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11: Hello,My desktop computer has the latest update for Windows 11, but sometimes the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. I have rebuilt the thumbnail cache several times, but the problem persists. It happens repeatedly. What could be the reason for this? Due to this issue, I have...
  4. A Windows update corrupted the icon of a video game

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A Windows update corrupted the icon of a video game: Hello, people, would someone tell me how to restore the initial condition of the icon of GTA:SA? After Windows 10 updated, the icon now looks like this: https://i.postimg.cc/rm6Hjczv/filecompressed.png ...but the icon should be like this: https://postimg.cc/Typhhmm4...
  5. corruption in the icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    corruption in the icons: hii tryed to fix it with commands in cmd but nothingwindows 10 22h2notice:it's only in anything like .zip/.rar etc.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corruption-in-the-icons/b758911c-a385-4eb1-beb7-5d9e25a1b5e3
  6. corruption in the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    corruption in the icons: hii tryed to fix it with commands in cmd but nothingwindows 10 22h2notice:it's only in anything like .zip/.rar etc.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corruption-in-the-icons/b758911c-a385-4eb1-beb7-5d9e25a1b5e3
  7. corruption in the icons

8. Segoe UI Fluent Icons and/or segmdl2 font files are broken/corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Segoe UI Fluent Icons and/or segmdl2 font files are broken/corrupted: So, on Windows 10, I replaced some of the fonts to get the new fluent icons:However, after I recently upgraded to Windows 11, I've noticed a lot of icons started showing as blank squares:Task Manager buttonsDo Not Disturb icon on notification panel and notification panelTo...
  9. Segoe UI Fluent Icons and/or segmdl2 font files are broken/corrupted

Segoe UI Fluent Icons and/or segmdl2 font files are broken/corrupted: So, on Windows 10, I replaced some of the fonts to get the new fluent icons:However, after I recently upgraded to Windows 11, I've noticed a lot of icons started showing as blank squares:Task Manager buttonsDo Not Disturb icon on notification panel and notification panelTo...
  10. Windows icons Settings, Sticky Notes, Calculator, ect. are corrupted on the taskbar in dark...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows icons Settings, Sticky Notes, Calculator, ect. are corrupted on the taskbar in dark...: In dark mode and custom color mode, the icons for windows applications are corrupted on the taskbar and in some of the context menus. Changing to light mode fixes them, but I really don't like light mode. I've tried resetting the icon cache to no avail. Anything else I can...