Windows 10: ICON default views in only specific folders

Discus and support ICON default views in only specific folders in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have many folders that are Adobe Ill, Adobe Photoshop and Flexi with big files. I want to change the default view for my pictures folder including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by hkp68, Jul 28, 2016.

1. hkp68 Win User

ICON default views in only specific folders

I have many folders that are Adobe Ill, Adobe Photoshop and Flexi with big files. I want to change the default view for my pictures folder including its sub folders, but not every folder because it slows it way down trying to come up with a icon for these big files. Not sure if that makes sense. Any suggestions? Thank you, Holly

:)

hkp68, Jul 28, 2016

2. Is there a way to change the default Windows 10 File Explorer layout view, regardless of content type

When using Windows 10 File explorer to open directories, folders and sub-folders, the default layout view changes depending on the file content type in the folders.

Music, Pictures, Videos, application files etc...

The majority of default view is Large Icons. I always have to manually change them to 'Details'

When I manually change the view of a specific folder to 'Details', Windows seems to remember that as a preference because the next time I open that same folder, it retains the last layout view I used.

As I cannot change the layout view manually for each and every folder,

How can I change the default layout view for every existing folder and every newly created folder to open in a 'Details' layout view.

**moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & Personalization.

Chuck_Bytes, Jul 28, 2016
  3. gteeb Win User
    File Explorer Bug. No Icon Preview. Layout disabled on View menu

I've just encountered a couple of error with File Explorer that I suspect are related.

1. When I look at the contents of any any folder all the icons are just a plain white document icon regardless of the type of file. If I look at the directory trees on the left hand side the only icons that have retained their correct image are the special
    Windows folders like Desktop or Documents. If I double-click on a file it knows which application to use to open it so somewhere under the hood Windows understands the type of file it is.

2. If I go to the ribbon bar and click on the View menu every Layout option appears disabled except for the current default option for that specific folder. e.g. on one folder they were all disabled except for Large Icons which has black text. I went to
    a different folder that I normally use a Detail view with and on that one the Detail view is the only enabled option, the files are laid out

gteeb, Jul 28, 2016
  4. satysin Win User

I use the following reg file to set all folders to display items as general which makes every folder display files in detailed view. I do this for similar reasons to you in that some folders with lots of media crawl to a halt. I don't think Windows does a very good job at "detecting" the contents either as just a couple of videos and it decides to set the folder to "Videos" which is very frustrating. Anyway hope this helps, if not I am if you Google around for the reg key it uses you can work out a way to get it how you want.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell] "FolderType"="NotSpecified"[/quote]

satysin, Aug 2, 2016
  5. hkp68 Win User
    Thank you so much. I appreciate the information. Have a great Hump day! Holly

hkp68, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ICON default views in only specific folders - Similar Threads - ICON default views

2. Change Folder View For One Specific Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Folder View For One Specific Folder: Is there a way to globally set the contents of a folder to Tiles for only one specific folder? By default, everything already lists in Details view, which is the preferred view. However, there is one obscure folder that is being requested to be changed to Tiles view when it...
  3. Change Folder View For One Specific Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Folder View For One Specific Folder: Is there a way to globally set the contents of a folder to Tiles for only one specific folder? By default, everything already lists in Details view, which is the preferred view. However, there is one obscure folder that is being requested to be changed to Tiles view when it...
  4. Thumbnails instead of Icon only on a specific folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails instead of Icon only on a specific folder: Hello I'm trying to find out how I can only change the regular icon to show thumbnails only in a specific folder with images that I'm working with, but when I change it, it changes to all the other folders, even Desktop ones. Does anyone knows how to do it? Thanks !...
  5. Viewing icons in folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing icons in folders?: Some jpg files show actual image in icon, other jpg files show generic file icon. It changes from refresh to refresh. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-icons-in-folders/91743be2-2103-45fb-a21d-33d923283482"
  6. Changing the "Tiles" icon size in "Default Folder View"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the "Tiles" icon size in "Default Folder View": I was wondering if there was a way to change the size of "tiles" in Windows 10? Not the start menu tiles but the tiles that are displayed under the "View" option for files and folders. I'd only want to be doing this specifically for the "My PC" folder in file explorer as I...
  7. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  8. Default View 'Large icons'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default View 'Large icons': W10, Office 2016. Although I close my docs and folders in 'Large icons', they often open in List view, which I never want; I almost always want Large icon view. I have been down the recommended File Explorer/any folder////apply to folders etc. route, but this hasn't changed...
  9. Default Folder Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521