Windows 10: Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

Discus and support Icon/Files disappeared or deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10, I faced a problem that any files/icon (except Recycle Bin) on the desktop (or even in the folder also) are disappeared /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by epsnarayanan, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

After upgrading to Windows 10, I faced a problem that any files/icon (except Recycle Bin) on the desktop (or even in the folder also) are disappeared / deleted when I double-clicked on it. The files are gone to recycle bin. I run an antivirus software and checked and found no virus/malware, etc. Appreciate your help for solving this issue.

:)

epsnarayanan, Sep 25, 2016

2. Desktop icon deleted

This is happened not only for icons but also for other files i.e. when the cursor points on icon/files, they disappeared/deleted immediately. This problem found in Excel also.
    In the Excel, when I click on a cell, the content in the cell is deleted!

SankaranarayananE.P., Sep 25, 2016
  3. File deletion

I am using Windows 10. I deleted a file some days ago, the file got deleted but the file icon did not disappear. Whenever I try deleting the file now it says file does not exist. How do I delete it?

kartiknesari, Sep 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

Hello, you comment these have 'gone to the recycle bin' - which begs the question 'why don't you recover them'.

So I'll assume that's not actually what's happened. If so: unfortunately this is something that seems to happen when people upgrade to 10, and some settings are not transferred correctly. It' seen some time since I've seen this reported.

I believe this is because you are using a temporary user profile.

"Apparently, when you upgrade to win10 the first time if you don't log into your own account, but a TEMP user account, that is, conveniently, deleted upon the next reboot. Wish I'd known that beforehand. But I was able to recover my lost files by using the Shadow Explorer app. If it's not too late and the shadow copies of your files have not yet been overwritten you can find them under c:\users\TEMP\desktop and recover them.
    I sincerely hope this helps anyone and Microsoft fixes this issue soon."

This does seem a fairly rational explanation of how it's done- unfortunately. I merely quote it.
    Lost Desktop Files - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Solved Desktop Icons Have Disappeared - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved lost desktop icons and files after upgrade from 8.1 to 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There will be more threads of this sort. I've not personally had to deal with this issue, so can only point you in the right direction to those who have.

Please feel free to search the forum- and probably someone familiar with this will help.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    If all the desktop icons are missing, there is a chance you might have accidentally hidden all the icons. To restore all the missing desktop icons, right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and from the context menu, hover your mouse cursor over “View” option.
    In the side menu, you will see the option of “Show desktop icons”. Just check this option and you should be able to see all of your desktop icons.

Whatphoeb, Sep 25, 2016
  6. Thank you for your response. Yes I was able to restore all desktop icons, but it is deleting again and again when the cursor points on icon/files on the desktop. This is happened for not only Icon, but also for other files, even in the Excel. In the Excel, when I click on a cell, the content in the cell is deleted!

epsnarayanan, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Beowulf1 Win User
    Have you installed 'Mouse and Keyboard center' or like app that is set to 'delete' contents on every click/double click?
    If yes please change its setting.
    Do you use Auto Hot Key?
    Check in Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
    More about Auto hot Key-
    AutoHotkey

Beowulf1, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

I have had many issues with icons since upgrading to Windows 10. I hated it. But recently I googled it and found that there is an anniversary update for Windows 10. It solved all my problems and I haven't had an issue with icons since the update. I would highly recommend it. Just backup your files just in case anything goes wrong but you won't loose anything doing the update. It's just to be on the safe side. I basically had problems with icons ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. But after the anniversary update I have had none. I can't recommend the update enough. Here you go https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...KiFRSmXDPFJ.97

hollyoaks777, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

1. Icon/Files disappeared or deleted - Similar Threads - Icon Files disappeared

2. I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?: Hi to all!I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. When I try to delete again I received the following message: "Could not find this item" but it still there.How can I make this icon disappear?Thank you!...
  3. I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. How can I make this icon disappear?: Hi to all!I deleted a file but the icon of file still apear. When I try to delete again I received the following message: "Could not find this item" but it still there.How can I make this icon disappear?Thank you!...
  4. Icons disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons disappearing: Win10 Home. My desktop icons have disappeared. The names of the programs are still there, and the programs still run - just no icons, although I cannot read the properties of these programs I tried all the simple things, witth no luck. Ran 'sfc /scannow' and it found some...
  5. Icons disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons disappearing: when I logged in to my PC the recycle bin icon disappeared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-disappearing/92a29620-29b6-4463-8445-cab2527944d4
  6. icons disappearing??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    icons disappearing??: I logged onto my pc today only to find all of my icons are gone. the names for each application are there and each app works just as intended however, no icons. even in file explorer as well as on my taskbar no icons what so ever. i spent about 2 hours on chat with someone...
  7. icons and files disappeared after a upgrade

icons and files disappeared after a upgrade: After my system updated all except 2 icons on my taskbar disappeared-phone & mail. When I tried to access them from the start menu, it would underline any site I clicked on but never went to the site. When I clicked on the small square it would fade, but never go to the...
  8. Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop: Hi everyone I recently updated to Windows 10 1909 from 1903 version and facing a problem post update. Moving a cursor over a file frequently pops up delete box n starts deleting my files/folders in both internal and external storage. Sometimes nothing happens and whenever...
  9. Icon disappear

Icon disappear: My icons (right bottom) won't show these 3 icons (power, volume, wifi) at once. It just show 2 icons only and the other 1 will disappear but will appear if i drag one out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-disappear/c8c9de77-874d-4232-bbeb-0c76c47a3619
  10. files disappears if they are deleted on the other computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    files disappears if they are deleted on the other computer: The files and folders that I create gets to my father’s computer in some way. He can see all my files and get them deleted. If he deletes the file, it disappears from my computer. I am fructrated and don’t know what I can do....