Windows 10: Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

Discus and support Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop. Specs: i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz (Turbo to 3.5), GeForce GTX 960M 4GB, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. I had to force a log-off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by capella, Jun 13, 2017.

1. capella Win User

Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

My computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop. Specs: i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz (Turbo to 3.5), GeForce GTX 960M 4GB, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

I had to force a log-off after a game (Tom Clancy's The Division) got locked up. I was able to use Ctrl-Alt-Del instead of holding down the power button so I logged off, thinking that would be not as potentially damaging compared to forcing a reboot. When I logged back in all of my icon images were missing - including the shortcuts in the task bar. Specifically, the icons' names were there, just the images were missing and in the task bar, the Windows default icon is in place of all of the programs' native icons. I've rebooted once with no affect on the issue.

Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer [​IMG]

When I mouse over a desktop shortcut just the text area is highlighted - not even a blank or invisible icon is highlighted:

While saving images for screenshots for this post I also noticed icons in File Explorer are missing as well.

But when I use the file upload feature here to upload the screenshots I took, the icons are there:

Also, while working with images for this post, in Paint's Save file dialog weird black icons flashed on and off in the left Folder Tree:

Other things I've tried/done:
    • I have also updated the driver for my video card - no effect
    • Creating a test user - same issues for that account
    • Running sfc /scannow in and escalated Cmd window - no issues found

Everything else seems to be working fine, though. I've started several programs, including the game and all seems normal (images and functionality) in the System Tray.

Thanks for anyone's help.

:)

capella, Jun 13, 2017
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Missing dekstop icons

Hi Dee,

One of the possible reasons why you're desktop icons are missing is because your computer is on Tablet mode. When Tablet mode is enabled, icons may disappear from your desktop screen. For us to isolate your concern, we'll be needing answers to the following:

• Have you checked if Tablet mode is turned off by going to Settings >
      System > Tablet mode?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Does the issue persist after restarting your computer?

Keep us posted and we'll be willing to assist you further.

Ramon Imp, Jun 13, 2017
  3. Missing dekstop icons

i have lost all the icons on my desk top

Original subject/title: desktop icons

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Desktop

DeeHoward1, Jun 13, 2017
  4. Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

Kind of similar, except when you click on Desktop in the file viewer nothing shows up in the folder either. If you make a new folder it doesn't come up

Skylercool2001, Jun 14, 2017
  5. capella Win User
    Thanks. I was very hopeful that this would fix my issue, but alas, it did not. I also tried the thumbcache cleanup, but I didn't really expect that to affect my particular issue.

I'm hoping you (or anyone) has some other tricks up your sleeve!

capella, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

1. Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer - Similar Threads - Icon images missing

2. Missing icon in File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icon in File Explorer search bar: I'm at my wits' end here - for the longest time I've had this problem where there's a square in place of the magnifier icon in the search bar in File Explorer. There's barely any threads about this bug online - the only one I found mentioned resetting default font...
  3. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  4. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer image icons: I am viewing these images as ''Large Icons"', how can i get rid of the blue squares in front of them? They are obscuring my preview of the images. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-image-icons/057318b7-13ab-49c9-aaa0-40a4c3723e65
  5. File Explorer image icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Wierd icons on images in File explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wierd icons on images in File explorer: How do you turn these off? I don't even know what they are for? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wierd-icons-on-images-in-file-explorer/2fabede7-20e4-4fdd-ad36-51d81da06380
  7. Changing dekstop icon names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing dekstop icon names: Alright so the question i'm about to ask will sound stupid, but for my OCD it's quite nerve racking/Important. I had to return my laptop to the shop so i decided to clean wipe my laptop. Which obviously resulted in me having to redownload my apps, but i was okay with this....
  8. Missing file type icons in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing file type icons in Explorer: Hi all, I'm using Windows 10 ver. 1703. Since the last major update, the file explorer shows a blank icon for many file types instead of the associated application (such as Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word etc.). The files are still associated correctly and re-associating them...
  9. Icon Images Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Images Missing: Hey guys. I’m new to the whole forum business, so I’m afraid I’m going to require a bit of tolerance, hand-holding and general pointing in the right direction. If my problem has been covered elsewhere, I do apologise, but just point me at it. The scenario: an Intel i5...
  10. Icons missing their image on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons missing their image on Windows Explorer: Hello, everyone. I'm with a problem on my Windows 10, which is the following: some icons when searched by Windows Explorer does not show their default image. To lighten, here some images that shows the problem. [img] [img] Weird is that some programs do not show...