Windows 10: Icon Images Missing

Discus and support Icon Images Missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys. I’m new to the whole forum business, so I’m afraid I’m going to require a bit of tolerance, hand-holding and general pointing in the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dissip, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Dissip Win User

Icon Images Missing

Hey guys. I’m new to the whole forum business, so I’m afraid I’m going to require a bit of tolerance, hand-holding and general pointing in the right direction. If my problem has been covered elsewhere, I do apologise, but just point me at it.

The scenario: an Intel i5 laptop running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) with four user profiles, one for each member of the family. A reasonably able user who was once a Microsoft Certified Professional, back when Windows NT 4 was big news.

The problem: in two of the profiles, all icons (desktop and otherwise) suddenly began showing titles only and no images. There aren’t even placeholders where the images/thumbnails should be. Image files will not show thumbnails of the images and require third-party software to view.

What I’ve tried:

· Toggling view settings in Explorer. No go.
    · Deleting and rebuilding image cache files for the two profiles. No go.

I’m aware that there is a registry hack for this problem in Windows 7, but nothing similar crops up for Windows 10.

Any ideas? Again, if I’m covering well-trodden ground here I do apologise, but I’m at my wits’ end.

:)

Dissip, Oct 20, 2016

2. Start menu tiles are missing their icons

On Windows 10, the tiles in the Start menu for a few apps are missing their icons, as shown in this image:

Icon Images Missing [​IMG]

Sometimes an app tile may be missing altogether.
    Is there a way to get the icons back?

Bennet Martin, Oct 20, 2016
  3. heloig Win User
    Icons in the Action centre are missing

The icon menus in the action centre are missing. The Icons are settings are on. How do I fix the missing icons in the action centre?

heloig, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Icon Images Missing

Go to File Explorer > View > Options > Change file and search options > view; Make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked.

TimothyProvost, Oct 20, 2016
  5. Dissip Win User
    Hi Timothy. Yes, I've tried that, no luck! Thanks for the input anyway.

Dissip, Oct 20, 2016
  6. Try going to performance options > visual effects; make sure that "show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.

TimothyProvost, Oct 20, 2016
  7. Dissip Win User
    Just tried that, no luck. It seems to tie in with a general Windows malady of late, where things just don't seem to operate as expected. Could it have anything to do with Updates?

Dissip, Oct 20, 2016
  8. JL91 Win User

Icon Images Missing

I had the same problem Dissip and solved it by deleting 5gb of files off my hard drives. Once I cleared that space, my file icon images reappeared!

9. Dissip Win User
    HI, JL91. I've got loads of free space, so I don't think that's it *Smile. Cheers anyway!

Dissip, Nov 13, 2016
  10. JL91 Win User
    Thanks, Hope everything works out for you!!!

11. skrambam Win User
    In Windows 10 I have two Microsoft accounts that display things correctly. I created another Microsoft account and a Local account and they will not display graphics (icons and all image files) correctly or not at all. I searched for iconcache files and there are no iconcache files for the new accounts, only for the older accounts. In my custom icons folder the icons are there but only display their names not an image. The icons are only visible via a program like Paint, Internet Explorer, or Photos. I also notice image files only display their names but no image unless openned in a program. The wallpaper image, taskbar icons, start tiles, user account images are displayed correctly. File Explorer has no graphics, only text. Desktop icons are text only.

====================================

Tried many fixes but finally installed a disk image from last month and everything's ok now. I'll never know what was actually wrong.

skrambam, May 3, 2017
  12. Dissip Win User
    Hi skrambam,

This is the exact same problem I had. I found a solution on a completely unrelated forum and purely by chance. The fault was corrupted system files. This sounds a lot worse than it actually turned out to be, and it was easily fixed. Do the following:

1. Run an elevated command prompt (click on Start, scroll down to "Windows System", click on that to drop the menu; at the top should be "Command Prompt", right-click on that, go to "More" and then click on "Run as administrator").
    2. Type the following into the prompt: sfc /scannow (or copy & paste from here). Mind the space between "sfc" and "/scannow".
    3. Hit Enter and let the command run. It takes a while to finish.

If there were faults with your system files, this will fix them and stipulate what it did to do so. That would be good, because on your next reboot all will be well with your system and all icon files should be right. If it doesn't find anything wrong with your system files, I'm afraid your problem is not related to mine and you're back to square one.

Good luck with it anyhow.

Just had a thought - your Start menu might not be working, if your problem was the same as mine. You can follow an alternative route to the same result:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will bring up Task Manager.
    2. From within Task Manager click on File > Run new task
    3. Click the box labeled "Create this task with administrative privileges".
    4. Type cmd.exe into the Open textfield and then click OK.
    5. In the Command Prompt window that opened up, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Good luck!

Dissip, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icon Images Missing

1. Icon Images Missing - Similar Threads - Icon Images Missing

2. The Photos Legacy app is missing image icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Photos Legacy app is missing image icons: I installed the Photos Legacy app from the Microsoft Store. I then changed the default image viewer from Photos to Photos Legacy. I immediately noticed that there are no icons for any image files such as jpg, gif, png files. In other words, if I open up windows explorer and...
  3. The Photos Legacy app is missing image icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Photos Legacy app is missing image icons: I installed the Photos Legacy app from the Microsoft Store. I then changed the default image viewer from Photos to Photos Legacy. I immediately noticed that there are no icons for any image files such as jpg, gif, png files. In other words, if I open up windows explorer and...
  4. Sticky Notes taskbar icon image missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Notes taskbar icon image missing: Hello there,A few days ago, i noticed that the sticky notes icon on task bar is not displaying correctly.cant upload picture to the question, says upload failed, so i create a link for the picture. https://ibb.co/PDfKyWX Tried some methods but the problem was not fixed.Things...
  5. Sticky Notes taskbar icon image missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Notes taskbar icon image missing: Hello there,A few days ago, i noticed that the sticky notes icon on task bar is not displaying correctly.cant upload picture to the question, says upload failed, so i create a link for the picture. https://ibb.co/PDfKyWX Tried some methods but the problem was not fixed.Things...
  6. Windows 10 display bug icone, image and character missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 display bug icone, image and character missing: Hello, I have a problem with my installation of windows it's the second time it arrived - Last time, I restore with Acronis. Suddenly some software don't show all the windows, don't less me click on there option my antivirus software, the explorer don't show the icone etc......
  7. [Help] All my icon and video thumbnail images are missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] All my icon and video thumbnail images are missing: https://i.imgur.com/23LLoRq.png I restarted my computer and now it's all missing Already tried restarting explorer and deleting icon cache submitted by /u/NoNameGuy [link] [comments]...
  8. Icon images missing while using Windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon images missing while using Windows search bar: Hello everyone, I often use Windows search bar (or Cortana) in order to find/launch apps quickly. However, for some reasons, some apps don't show an icon image (see below), it's only the case when I use the search bar (not the case for the app list nor taskbar, see...
  9. Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer: My computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop. Specs: i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz (Turbo to 3.5), GeForce GTX 960M 4GB, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. I had to force a log-off after a game (Tom Clancy's The Division) got locked up. I was able to use Ctrl-Alt-Del instead of holding down the power...
  10. Icons missing their image on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons missing their image on Windows Explorer: Hello, everyone. I'm with a problem on my Windows 10, which is the following: some icons when searched by Windows Explorer does not show their default image. To lighten, here some images that shows the problem. [img] [img] Weird is that some programs do not show...