Windows 10: icon not displaying, but only for certain files...

Discus and support icon not displaying, but only for certain files... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I doubt that anyone will be able to help me, but thought I'd ask anyway... My problem involves the music notation software Finale, version 2012.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Florio, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Florio Win User

icon not displaying, but only for certain files...

I doubt that anyone will be able to help me, but thought I'd ask anyway...

My problem involves the music notation software Finale, version 2012. When using Windows Explorer, the standard Finale icon displays for .bak files (backup copies) but not for the proper notation files (.mus, or Finale auto-saved files), all of which have an empty, white icon.

I've tried rebuilding the icon cache, but there is no change. Finale is the default (and only) program on my PC for notating music.

This problem must have sprung up over the past few days (didn't notice immediately), but I have not installed new software etc.

All suggestions enthusiastically received!*chuckle

:)

Florio, Mar 28, 2016
  2. Eric Ber Win User

.Docx files are not showing word icon but only white plain icon (Windows 10)

We appreciate your response. This could be caused by a corrupted icon cache. To reset the icon cache on Windows 10, kindly check the link posted by
    Doug Robbins - Word MVP on September 15, 2015 in this
    thread

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Mar 28, 2016
  3. .Docx files are not showing word icon but only white plain icon (Windows 10)

icon not displaying, but only for certain files... [​IMG]

There is no problem in the process of opening of the files in word. it is just not showing the icon.

Ravikash_Maurya, Mar 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, basic question.. if you double click .mus files do they open in Finale?
    If not, set the default via Settings, Open With (making sure you tick the box!) or Control Panel, Default Programs.

If they do, and no icon as you say, try (e.g.) this freeware program.

icon not displaying, but only for certain files... [​IMG]

Double clicking on an extension allows you to change the icon, so you can extract the icon from Finale using Resource Hacker, for example, or choose something you'll recognise, browse to the icon from Filetypesman and see if that works.

dalchina, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Florio Win User
    Thanks for your reply, dalchina. Your solution (and using Filetypesman) solved the problem.
    I've since discovered that this is somehow related to permission issues; clicking on the .mus files did in fact open them, but an annoying upgrade reminder appeared on screen (I'd recently managed to get rid of this message by asking Finale to always be run with administrator privileges). The icons seemed to have disappeared after that, but at the time I didn't associate the two issues.
    Anyway, for the moment the icons are back, and the upgrade reminder hasn't come up again.

Florio, Apr 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great- sometimes things work out ok.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. icon not displaying, but only for certain files... - Similar Threads - icon displaying certain

2. How to select only certain files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select only certain files in a folder?: Hi! I'm having a folder with round about 6000 images in there. Also I'm having a list in a CSV file which includes round about 400 names of those image files. I would like to select these 400 files in the folder to add them to a new folder. If I'm using the searching box in...
  3. How to select only certain files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select only certain files in a folder?: Hi! I'm having a folder with round about 6000 images in there. Also I'm having a list in a CSV file which includes round about 400 names of those image files. I would like to select these 400 files in the folder to add them to a new folder. If I'm using the searching box in...
  4. Display thumbnails only for certain files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  5. Display thumbnails only for certain files

Display thumbnails only for certain files: The company I work for just issued me a new laptop. The old laptop was running Windows 10 Enterprise, build 17763. The new laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 19043. On the old laptop, all files were displayed as icons, on both the desktop and in the File Explorer,...
  6. Display thumbnails only for certain files

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Certain Taskbar icons not displaying

Certain Taskbar icons not displaying: Very recently, my I noticed that my calendar and mail icons were not showing up on the taskbar, even though they were still fully functional. The icons displayed on the search screen or list of apps or microsoft store, just not in the taskbar. If I create a shortcut on my...
  8. Move only certain program files to HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move only certain program files to HDD?: I've recently got a new PC with both an HDD and SSD. I installed Windows on the SSD, because that was one of the purposes I got an SSD. Then when I installed some programs, they installed their files to the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folder in the SSD. I only have 120...
  9. Right click on Taskbar icons only works on certain icons but not all of them?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click on Taskbar icons only works on certain icons but not all of them?: Hi, For example, if I right-click on Excel and try to start a file from a pinned file, it will not start, but if I click on Word and do the same the file will open. Or if I right-click on Chrome or Edge and try to start Incognito or private window it will not work. I...
  10. Shortcut to batch file in start menu with custom icon will only sometimes display that icon...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to batch file in start menu with custom icon will only sometimes display that icon...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/roryc102 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f21qu5/shortcut_to_batch_file_in_start_menu_with_custom/