Windows 10: icon position file: locate and restore?

Discus and support icon position file: locate and restore? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately on WHEA error restarts, windows rearranges all the icons on my desktop. Is there a file that logs \ maintains these positions? Is it possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wbajr, Aug 10, 2017.

1. wbajr Win User

icon position file: locate and restore?

Lately on WHEA error restarts, windows rearranges all the icons on my desktop.
    Is there a file that logs \ maintains these positions?
    Is it possible to 1) archive the file & 2) use the archive to restore (desktop) icons to their original positions?

Doubt this question is new. If there is a tutorial or link ...that's all I need.
    - tbc

:)

wbajr, Aug 10, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

how do i know if my window 7 phone the samsung focus is roaming?

Correct, or any other icon in that location on the status bar. The roaming icon will always be in that position.

Entegy, Aug 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Icons

Windows 10, at whim, moves my desktop icons to columns on the left. I cannot find a way to lock the icons into the positions I want. Windows Help Desk has not resolved this problem.

I would think there is some really simple program out there that records the icon locations in a matrix or spreadsheet and will re-position them after this glitch occurs when the owner runs a script or program file.

Help!!!!

This is getting really, really annoying.

GeorgeFoust1, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
Thema:

1. icon position file: locate and restore? - Similar Threads - icon position file

2. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  3. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  4. Icon positioning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon positioning?: Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping...
  5. How to Save restore desktop icons position

How to Save restore desktop icons position: How to Save restore desktop icons position https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-restore-desktop-icons-position/2bdc389e-d970-4621-a3a6-5643dfee1343
  6. restore desktop icons positions to previous

restore desktop icons positions to previous: I set my Desktop icons in a personal way. Whenever I go to PCaccess to PC the icons moved to a different unwanted position. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-desktop-icons-positions-to-previous/21fb17d4-20a9-4228-a14a-27ce69e9a978
  7. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  8. Advanced system restore and restore file locations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advanced system restore and restore file locations: I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and files I need to move and where to move them so I can have the restore points show when I open system recovery. Creating a system...
  9. Restoring location

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring location: How does one restore 'location ON' to user account, please? 49074
  10. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...