Windows 10: icon position file: locate and restore?

Discus and support icon position file: locate and restore? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately on WHEA error restarts, windows rearranges all the icons on my desktop. Is there a file that logs \ maintains these positions? Is it possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wbajr, Aug 10, 2017.

1. wbajr Win User

icon position file: locate and restore?

Lately on WHEA error restarts, windows rearranges all the icons on my desktop.
    Is there a file that logs \ maintains these positions?
    Is it possible to 1) archive the file & 2) use the archive to restore (desktop) icons to their original positions?

Doubt this question is new. If there is a tutorial or link ...that's all I need.
    - tbc

:)

wbajr, Aug 10, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

how do i know if my window 7 phone the samsung focus is roaming?

Correct, or any other icon in that location on the status bar. The roaming icon will always be in that position.

Entegy, Aug 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Icons

Windows 10, at whim, moves my desktop icons to columns on the left. I cannot find a way to lock the icons into the positions I want. Windows Help Desk has not resolved this problem.

I would think there is some really simple program out there that records the icon locations in a matrix or spreadsheet and will re-position them after this glitch occurs when the owner runs a script or program file.

Help!!!!

This is getting really, really annoying.

GeorgeFoust1, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
Thema:

1. icon position file: locate and restore? - Similar Threads - icon position file

2. Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting: Hi all, I have a small issue where every once in a while my desktop icons would not remember their previous position, and I had to sort them again. This problem still occurs, but now I can even reproduce the issue 100% by moving 1 set icon to a new position that will cause...
  3. restore taskbar to original location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore taskbar to original location: how to restore taskbar to original location https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-taskbar-to-original-location/440887d7-6a5b-4681-a07d-c99f77f4bc39
  4. Advanced system restore and restore file locations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advanced system restore and restore file locations: I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and files I need to move and where to move them so I can have the restore points show when I open system recovery. Creating a system...
  5. Lock desktop icons positions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock desktop icons positions?: I occasionally move the mouse pointer across the desktop and inadvertently drag icons to new positions. Is there a command or a feature that locks the desktop icons in place and can snap them back into position when this occurs? 86732
  6. Where is the Restore Point located?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Where is the Restore Point located?: I have created a Restore Point that I titled Restore Point - Oct 2 2017 on my W10 system and would to know where I can find it / where it's located on my computer so that I can delete it when I create new Restore Points? Thank you Bob 94749
  7. Location System Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Location System Icon: Hi I have windows 10 pro and if I go to settings, then system, then notifications and actions and then turn system icons on or off, I'm presented with a list of various settings to turn on and off, one of the settings is location, it is off and it is greyed out. Ive restarted...
  8. Restoring location

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring location: How does one restore 'location ON' to user account, please? 49074
  9. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...
  10. Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons forget size and positions on reboot.: After setting the base resolution to 125%, the screen icons seemed unaffected--until the system is rebooted. At this point, icons are reset to maximum size (only eight fit on the screen). Once icons are manually resized, (Ctrl-Scroll), they're scattered all over the screen....